Wireless chagers - where to put them?

Razioer

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Greetings, long time reader, first time poster here.

My next device is without a doubt going to be the 920, and I have to admit that although I know I will never truely get rid of the cable, the wireless charging is of great interrest to me.

In keeping with an ongoing mission to keep clutter out of my life (both physical, mental and digital), I for one am willing to shell out some extra $$ to simplify my life, and shave off that 1min a day its gonna save me (It all adds up).

However, I think we can all agree that simply replacing that old dock, or free floating cable with another stand / dock is pointless. The fatboy breifly appealed to me, but then logic kicked in, and my mind was full of DIY ideas.

Because wireless charging is WIRELESS, meaning there could potentially be a layer of fabric or wood between the charger and the phone, if you catch my drift here.

So, suggestions for permanent places to install a wireless charger out of sight:
Workstation table (unless you prefer a stand)
Couch armrest
Car, center console (with auto boot of Nokia music + bluetooth sync)
(unless you have the new audi A3 fx, and chose the optional inductive charging plate option)

And last, but very not least, if luxery is your thing, I found this:

Darafeev Furniture Equipped with Wireless Inductive Charging Systems - YouTube

I personally have a thing for things that look 50's ish, but are hightech underneath (or you could steampunk it)

Now, these alone would effectively eleminate my use for a cable, especially if the 920 lifes up to its on paper battery performance. Would only need a cable for traveling, and even then, everyone I know have 3+ usb cables lying around.

If you guys could come up with some even more creative things, I'd love to hear 'em.

Razioer

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Personally I like the smaller dock.
I like the Nokia docks aswell, I just know I'd like not having any docks at all even more :p

I'll ofc have to do some test before doing any DIY stuff, would love to see if the energizer qi pad allows a larger area where the phone can be put down, dosent have NFC tho, so cant auto-launch apps, deff not using that in the car.
I must admit testing the heating in a fabric-environment slipped my mind, so thx a lot for reminding me :)

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I plan to carve out a bounch of Post-Its for my Desk at work. (I have a Bluetooth Speaker at the office, if NFC supports starting up Bluetooth, I might opt for the Dock there instead)
At home I will have one at my bedstand, either a dock or a Fat Boy.
In my living room I will have one near my couch, not sure how and where to "integrate it yet.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Razioer

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
/Gasp!, a fellow dane!
/highfive!

Awesome idea with the post-its!

Only the Nokia docks have NFC atm that allows for auto app booting.
I'll possibly take one of those apart and see if the coils can be place a more discrete place (minding overheating, as I was so graciously reminded)

Anyways, Im mostly looking for ways and places to integrate inductive charging sort of "hidden", inside furniture (or walls with uber magnets?) any and all suggestions welcome.

I admit I am getting WAY ahead of myself here, especially if Microsoft Denmark repeats its WP7.5 disaster, and releases 6 months after the rest of the world (Might get a German one then), I just had to get it out of my system, and hopefully receive some creative inputs :D

(btw, my couch is also my bed (Im a student),a charger inside the armrest would also act as a charger inside my "bed stand", as I always lay my phone there with alarm on when going to sleep anyways)

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
With my Pre, I thought the touchstone was rather stylish, so I just set it out in the open on my desk. Granted everyone saw it and I had to demo it to everyone that walked in. Had to prove that the metallic looking logo wasn't conductive and use a business card between the phone and charger to prove it still worked...

I guess what I'm getting at is, don't hide it. Display it proudly.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't see the appeal. The charger and the phone still have to be in same place. You can't really play around with the phone while its docked. And you know most people can't leave their phone alone for 5 mins. Plus it has to make contact with something. Cool idea though. Just looks like it's for show at the end of the day.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't see the appeal. The charger and the phone still have to be in same place. You can't really play around with the phone while its docked. And you know most people can't leave their phone alone for 5 mins. Plus it has to make contact with something. Cool idea though. Just looks like it's for show at the end of the day.

I think it's just for convenience.

They really should start adding these to cars, once they can all agree on one standard. It'd work because you're SUPPOSED to leave your phone alone while driving (though many people I see don't, annoyingly).

What I'd like to see also is a holder/dashboard mount with wireless charging built in. That way when you're using your phone for navigation (which typically drains the battery quite a bit) it'll be charging at the same time.

EDIT: I just happened to see a post by Nokia on Facebook about how you can charge your phone on the JBL PowerUp speakers. There you go, another use.

Last edited:

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I use the blue tooth ear piece but your right. Charging while navigating is great. Though I have the phone plugged in and charging while navigating. If the wire want there that would be better. Not to mention more organized.

hc_1540

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site

You could be right although the wireless charging stand that Nokia have showed would be perfect at night by your bed so it can charge while you're sleeping

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
You can still use the phone while it's charging. I did it all the time with my pre. Although the touchstone charger for for the Pre is slightly angled which helps it's usability.

Anyhow, charging or not, when my phone is on my desk, its typically sitting on its back, face up, and I use it without picking it up. Granted if I want to type a lot, I'll pick it up. But who cares with wireless charging, you pick it up for a few seconds and then set it back down... No cables tugging on it and you don't have to unplug/replug it in.

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
But who cares with wireless charging, you pick it up for a few seconds and then set it back down... No cables tugging on it and you don't have to unplug/replug it in.

BINGO!

The pure essence of wireless charging. Not because it looks good or charges faster. But because it is so damned convenient !

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site

My old BlackBerrys had wireless charging that you used with a charging pod. I would drop it into the pod at night and if a special feature called "bedside mode" were activated, it would check to see if the time was between 10:00PM and 7:00AM and if so, show the clock face, switch the sound profile so that on calls rang through, and dim the screen for night viewing.

My new BlackBerry still has the bedside mode feature, but for some reason, they eliminated the external charging points from the back of the phone. That means I can still use a charging cradle but it has to attach through a USB port in the cradle. The regular use has caused the USB port on the side of my newer BlackBerry is now and cracked. It still works but I do think it has limited the life of that port.

I wish Nokia or MS would build in a type of bedside mode for WP8 phones to use in conjunction with a wireless charging cradle.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Or exhibition mode like webOS has!

Although SAMOLED are prone to burn in, not sure id want an app that kept the screen on with static images... Then again, the 920 doesn't have an SAMOLED screen!

Last edited:

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Get the Nokia 920 with Wireless charging and put a NFC tag on the charger by your bed and program it to automatically do what you want it to at bedtime, silent mode, things like that.

My old BlackBerrys had wireless charging that you used with a charging pod. I would drop it into the pod at night and if a special feature called "bedside mode" were activated, it would check to see if the time was between 10:00PM and 7:00AM and if so, show the clock face, switch the sound profile so that on calls rang through, and dim the screen for night viewing.

My new BlackBerry still has the bedside mode feature, but for some reason, they eliminated the external charging points from the back of the phone. That means I can still use a charging cradle but it has to attach through a USB port in the cradle. The regular use has caused the USB port on the side of my newer BlackBerry is now and cracked. It still works but I do think it has limited the life of that port.

I wish Nokia or MS would build in a type of bedside mode for WP8 phones to use in conjunction with a wireless charging cradle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb