wireless charging - extra cost?

cinek

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
So if Nokia said sorry, not available yet, it'd be okay for them not to include it?

I'm sorry, but I don't see how Nokia can compete on price AND include a wireless charger. They're just not going to make any money.

honestly I wasn't even aware of the fact that the s3 has wireless charging. Nokia is advertising this feature heavily thus should include 1 charging pad in the box. That's my opinion

hc_1540

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
A quick look around the web shows any QI charger should work with the new Nokia phones, and both amazon and ebay have brand name pads for <?20.

Just as an example...

Linky

Certainly what I'm planning to do to try it out before stumping up for the Nokia wireless charging stand (can't see that being cheap unfortunately...).

Hmmm, wonder if it's possible to mod one of the non-Nokia QI pads into something like the charging stand...

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
honestly I wasn't even aware of the fact that the s3 has wireless charging. Nokia is advertising this feature heavily thus should include 1 charging pad in the box. That's my opinion

I don't think they can afford to for everyone. But I see your point, if they want wireless charging to take off, they have to get wireless chargers out to people. What I think they should do is some sort of deal like if you're one of those who preordered, get 50% off the wireless charging mat. Or for a limited time, if you buy a phone and those Purity headphones, we'll throw in the wireless charging mat for free.

That way, they'd hopefully be encouraging preorders and boosting early sales. Also, they're not thinning their profits like they would if they included it in every box (because some people even said they think wireless charging is useless and they'd never use it, so why give them something they wouldn't use?). Plus, what happens next year if you buy a Lumia 940 (or whatever they call it)? Okay, you have two, one for home one for work? Then what about next year? And the year after that? You're going to have a desk drawer full of unused wireless chargers then, and that's wasted money (for Nokia). That money could have gone to more R&D or something, shrinking down that 41MP PureView sensor.

So yeah, I think some sort of accessory deal or promotion is the best option.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
i wouldn't attack Nokia for not including the charging pad when they mention this capability, i mean seriously... Asus Transformer didn't come with keyboard either, Palm Pre's touch stone is also a separate purchase (except i don't know if they ever hyped this feature)

may be i've just become accustomed to the fact that advertising is a method of showing what the perfect world would look like, so i always have a bottle of salt on the side for misleading stuff (like McDonald's perfect looking burger) or just be ready to pay more for that perfect world (u know, paying for that keyboard dock for the transformers)

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
While I think the wireless charging is neat and I enjoyed it on my old BlackBerrys for years, it is only appealing to a certain segment of the population. Why should Nokia spend the serious cash on an accessory of limited appeal, which would hurt their bottom line and/or cost ALL consumers more? Better to offer it as an affordable accessory and give consumers the 920 at a lower price for those who want it.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Wireless charging is not for everybody and even if Nokia wanted to push wireless charging that component is way too much for the box. Way too much.
I'm not interested about the pad anyways, but might be getting the JBL speaker that has wireless charging included or the stand.

Nokia's European or USA page don't include it on the "what's in the box" category so it's definitely not included.

Nokia Lumia 920 Specifications - Nokia - USA

Sales Package

Nokia Lumia 920
Nokia Fast USB Charger AC-16
Battery BP-4GW 2000 mAh
Nokia Charging and Data Cable (CA-190CD)
Nokia Headset WH-208
Quick guide

blends

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Either way I'm going to get one or two. The Palm Pre didn't come with it (at least not when I got mine) and I didn't mind because it was convenient. Same here. I'd pay for the convenience and craftsmanship. $250 for the phone and a stand and I'm sold. Then I'll just pick up another one from amazon; maybe the puck or the radio. I'm still trying to decide.

jlw17

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the 920 won't be including a wireless charger in box.. It probably won't even come with headphones.. I'll probably be packaged like the 900. Just my opinion..

But I'll be willing to pay extra for a wireless charger. I loved the touchstone for my HP Touchpad

cinek

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the 920 won't be including a wireless charger in box.. It probably won't even come with headphones.. I'll probably be packaged like the 900. Just my opinion..

But I'll be willing to pay extra for a wireless charger. I loved the touchstone for my HP Touchpad

headphones will be included - already confirmed

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
There is no way it will come with a wireless charger, so dont get your hopes up. Not everyone will use it and there is a cost to build them never mind extra packing for the phone.

It will be an addon device and based off QI chargers in the open market, $29.99-49.99 price range (I think $30-40 is more in the range). If this comes out for $9.99 with a phone or something, I'll buy a bunch of them...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos