09-21-2012 06:54 AM
32 12
tools
    nokia keeps talking about the wireless charging, while it's great, I think they should include at least 1 wireless charging accessory in the box - what's the point of promoting something when you need to pay extra to use it? I know bars etc will have some wireless charging spots but that's not going to come soon as there aren't many phones out there capable of doing it
    09-16-2012 04:12 AM
    The capability is built-into the phone, but the charging "pads" are (most likely) going to be add-on accessories. It's possible that some carriers may offer it as part of a bundle, but I wouldn't take any bets on that. That said, I do agree... I think it would be great if one of the standard charging pads is included.
    09-16-2012 08:24 AM
    The fact that they showcased the Lumia 920 to have wireless charging would lead me to believe that at least the wireless charging pad will come as standard. If not why bother advertising so heavily about how Nokia wants to lead the charge in wireless charging?

I do wish they will have the stand as standard. One can't have everything. Still...
    09-16-2012 09:59 AM
    The fact that they showcased the Lumia 920 to have wireless charging would lead me to believe that at least the wireless charging pad will come as standard. If not why bother advertising so heavily about how Nokia wants to lead the charge in wireless charging?

I do wish they will have the stand as standard. One can't have everything. Still...
    exactly! but I don't see it in the box contents on their site :(
    09-16-2012 10:35 AM
    It sounded to me like the 920 would come with a wireless charging pad, while the 820 would have an optional backing and pad that could be purchased separately.
    09-16-2012 10:50 AM
    It sounded to me like the 920 would come with a wireless charging pad, while the 820 would have an optional backing and pad that could be purchased separately.
    I really hope so as that would be great, I checked the box contents on the Nokia site and it didn't list it, so I then was left to hope that carriers might do a deal on launch day as I cant see me dropping extra cash on one.
    Having said that, I was browsing ebay to check on QI chargers
    09-16-2012 11:50 AM
    Oh come now. Heck, why don't they thrown in that nifty NFC/wireless speaker while they are at it. Sorry for the sarcasm, but Nokia is fighting a war here. Price point is critical. I think most of us who got the L900 on AT&T enjoyed the $99 price tag. The phone should sell itself based on merit, not free stuff.

Maybe a coupon for 25% off on a wireless accessory (to sell items closer to cost) but not in the box. You are still getting a wall charger after all. But hey, I guess you could still dream.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
    tissotti likes this.
    09-16-2012 11:51 AM
    They could do what they did with Lumia 800 here in the states and offer it with a pair of headphones or a wireless charger. Of course no one bought this bundled L800 since it was quite pricey (also buying unlocked is unpopular in the states).
    09-16-2012 01:30 PM
    If the phone is $200, then it should include it because it will need something extra if it I'd going tosell fit the same price as the galaxy s 3 and iPhone 5, since windows phone is not as popular. If they compete on price like the 900 did and sell at $99 then there is no way a wireless charger will be included, and that is fine.

That said, if they are going to hype the feature, it should come in box. Not including it would be like htc hyping up the built in beats audio technology then saying, "oh ya, to use this heavily advertised feature, you have to lay down another $100. So basically, if they aren't going to include it in box, they shouldn't feature it heavily in commercials or you will end up with a bunch of angry idiots who didn't read the fine print, which just isn't what Nokia or windows phone needs.
    09-16-2012 02:10 PM
    I don't think the 820 has wireless charging.
    09-16-2012 02:27 PM
    Or you can buy the phone, and then the wireless charging pad, and pretend that you bought them in the same box. You'd probably be paying the same price than if it actually came in the same box.
    09-16-2012 02:30 PM
    That said, if they are going to hype the feature, it should come in box. Not including it would be like htc hyping up the built in beats audio technology then saying, "oh ya, to use this heavily advertised feature, you have to lay down another $100. So basically, if they aren't going to include it in box, they shouldn't feature it heavily in commercials or you will end up with a bunch of angry idiots who didn't read the fine print, which just isn't what Nokia or windows phone needs.
    my thinking exactly
    09-16-2012 02:33 PM
    it has an optional back cover with wireless charging capability !!!
    09-16-2012 02:51 PM
    You need a certain backplate.

my thinking exactly
    The Galaxy S III has wireless charging, but I think you need a special battery cover and the wireless charger, and those aren't included.
    09-16-2012 02:55 PM
    You need a certain backplate.

The Galaxy S III has wireless charging, but I think you need a special battery cover and the wireless charger, and those aren't included.
    sorry mate, but a phone coming out with wireless charging enabled which is being pushed and advertised heavily is different to something that's not really yet available - or comes out months after the launch

Samsung Galaxy S3 to get wireless charging dock in September? | News | TechRadar
    09-17-2012 04:03 AM
    A quick look around the web shows any QI charger should work with the new Nokia phones, and both amazon and ebay have brand name pads for <20.

Just as an example...

Linky
    09-17-2012 07:39 AM
    I believe this paragraph at WMPoweruser answers the question:
    Seeking to tilt the playing field a bit more in their direction and away from the iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy S III, Nokia is offering to give any Yahooligan who chose a Nokia Lumia 920 a free wireless charging plate.
    Here is the entire article.
    09-17-2012 08:21 AM
    sorry mate, but a phone coming out with wireless charging enabled which is being pushed and advertised heavily is different to something that's not really yet available - or comes out months after the launch

Samsung Galaxy S3 to get wireless charging dock in September? | News | TechRadar
    So if Nokia said sorry, not available yet, it'd be okay for them not to include it?

I'm sorry, but I don't see how Nokia can compete on price AND include a wireless charger. They're just not going to make any money.
    09-17-2012 12:20 PM

The galaxy kit is already out and has been for a while I think. My girlfriend has it. Not as fast as a cable but it's ok.
    09-17-2012 06:05 PM
    Why hasn't every phone included a BT headset? They all have had BT capabilities?
    09-17-2012 07:05 PM
    So if Nokia said sorry, not available yet, it'd be okay for them not to include it?

I'm sorry, but I don't see how Nokia can compete on price AND include a wireless charger. They're just not going to make any money.
    honestly I wasn't even aware of the fact that the s3 has wireless charging. Nokia is advertising this feature heavily thus should include 1 charging pad in the box. That's my opinion
    09-18-2012 03:10 AM
    A quick look around the web shows any QI charger should work with the new Nokia phones, and both amazon and ebay have brand name pads for <20.

Just as an example...

Linky
    Certainly what I'm planning to do to try it out before stumping up for the Nokia wireless charging stand (can't see that being cheap unfortunately...).

Hmmm, wonder if it's possible to mod one of the non-Nokia QI pads into something like the charging stand...
    09-18-2012 08:12 AM
    honestly I wasn't even aware of the fact that the s3 has wireless charging. Nokia is advertising this feature heavily thus should include 1 charging pad in the box. That's my opinion
    I don't think they can afford to for everyone. But I see your point, if they want wireless charging to take off, they have to get wireless chargers out to people. What I think they should do is some sort of deal like if you're one of those who preordered, get 50% off the wireless charging mat. Or for a limited time, if you buy a phone and those Purity headphones, we'll throw in the wireless charging mat for free.

That way, they'd hopefully be encouraging preorders and boosting early sales. Also, they're not thinning their profits like they would if they included it in every box (because some people even said they think wireless charging is useless and they'd never use it, so why give them something they wouldn't use?). Plus, what happens next year if you buy a Lumia 940 (or whatever they call it)? Okay, you have two, one for home one for work? Then what about next year? And the year after that? You're going to have a desk drawer full of unused wireless chargers then, and that's wasted money (for Nokia). That money could have gone to more R&D or something, shrinking down that 41MP PureView sensor.

So yeah, I think some sort of accessory deal or promotion is the best option.
    09-18-2012 11:44 AM
    i wouldn't attack Nokia for not including the charging pad when they mention this capability, i mean seriously... Asus Transformer didn't come with keyboard either, Palm Pre's touch stone is also a separate purchase (except i don't know if they ever hyped this feature)

may be i've just become accustomed to the fact that advertising is a method of showing what the perfect world would look like, so i always have a bottle of salt on the side for misleading stuff (like McDonald's perfect looking burger) or just be ready to pay more for that perfect world (u know, paying for that keyboard dock for the transformers)
    09-18-2012 01:04 PM
    While I think the wireless charging is neat and I enjoyed it on my old BlackBerrys for years, it is only appealing to a certain segment of the population. Why should Nokia spend the serious cash on an accessory of limited appeal, which would hurt their bottom line and/or cost ALL consumers more? Better to offer it as an affordable accessory and give consumers the 920 at a lower price for those who want it.
    tissotti and Xsever like this.
    09-18-2012 02:23 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD