Lumia 920 vs ???

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Well at the moment (at least here) the Lumia 920 seems to be the cat's meow. So how about we see how the competition stacks up? Admittedly, this device hasn't been annoucned yet (maybe never will) but since ASUS has said they will make Windows phones it would seem likely. Here we go... DING! DING! DING!

Round 1
Dimensions

Nokia Lumia 920
Height -130.3 mm
Width -70.8 mm
Thickness -10.7 mm
Weight -185 g
Display - 4.5" 1280 x 768 Gorilla Glass

Asus PadFone
Height - 128 mm
Width - 65.4 mm
Thickness - 9.2 mm
Weight -185 g
Display - 4.3" 960 x 540 HD Super AMOLED Gorilla Glass

WINNER: It's a draw!

Round 2
Connectivity

Nokia Lumia 920
Connectors - 3.5 mm Universal Audio, Micro USB
Sim Card - Micro sim
Internal Memory - 1 Gb
Mass Memory - 32 Gb with 7Gb Skydrive

Asus PadFone
Connectors - 3.5 mm Universal Audio, Micro USB, Micro HDMI
Sim Card - Regular sim
Internal Memory - 1 Gb
Mass Memory - 16 Gb up to 64 Gb with 32Gb Asus free web storage for 3 years

WINNER: Asus PadFone

Round 3
Power Management

Nokia Lumia 920
Battery Capacity - 2000 mAh
Max 2G Talk Time - 17h
Max 3G Talk Time - 10h
Max 2G Standby - 400h
Max 3G Standby - 400h

Asus PadFone
Battery Capacity - 1540 mAh
Max 2G Talk Time - 15.7h
Max 3G Talk Time - 8h
Max 2G Standby - 370h
Max 3G Standby - 360h

WINNER: Nokia Lumia 920

Round 4
Camera

Nokia Lumia 920
Sensor - 8.7MP Carl Zeiss Lens
Flash - Dual LED
Aperture - F2.0
Pureview

Asus PadFone
Sensor - 8MP Back illuminated CMOS sensor, Auto focus, 5 element lens
Flash - LED
Aperture - F2.2

Round 5
CPU

Nokia Lumia 920
Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 8260A Dual-Core 1.5 GHz

Asus PadFone
Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 8260A Dual-Core 1.5 GHz

Final Round
Design

Nokia Lumia 920
Dull boring slab

Asus Padfone
Again a boring slab but when placed in the PadFone station it's transformed into the revolutionary, innovative, ultimate mobile device!

WINNER: ASUS PADFONE!!!!!!!!!

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Is this a joke? Draw on camera? Draw on screen? The Padfone is not even HD! How is the L920 boring?

Yes. The camera on both are 8 mp, the 920 just has some fance software added, no big deal there. The screen is not a big issue either because once inserted into the station it's transforned into a 1280 x 800 WXGA display with Gorilla Glass.

The phone itself really isn't a big deal either. Why? Because most people will keep the phone in the station anyway. Only when it's not convenient to carry the station will the phone be out on it's own.

Instead of focusing on a camera and display don't you think it's pretty intersting how well the PadFone stacks up against Nokia's flagship? You cannot deny that this could easily be a WP now can you?

Think about it... Why buy to separate devices when Asus puts it all in one package?

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Ahhh... personal attacks how nice! And I got warned for one of my posts. Anyway lets stick to facts shall we?

.7 mp and a slightly larger aperature will make a HUGH difference... NOT! True I don't know what ois is but the simple point is there practically the same.

malachijd

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Ah practically the same and tied aren't the same thing. Optical image stabilization it steady's the camera allowing more light in making night time pictures much better.

Last edited:

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
The phone itself really isn't a big deal either. Why? Because most people will keep the phone in the station anyway. Only when it's not convenient to carry the station will the phone be out on it's own.

It is always more convenient to carry a phone sized device over a tablet sized device. Pass me some of whatever you're on. lol

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Few things left out of connectivity as well. What about NFC and Qi?

Probably not but it's hard to find the specs on this bugger. Also, they are about to release PadFone 2! I'm hoping that one will be for the US market but we won't know until Oct. 16th

It is always more convenient to carry a phone sized device over a tablet sized device. Pass me some of whatever you're on. lol

Well some people aren't ready for the new frontier I suppose. Then again I said I'd never buy a tablet cause I had a smartphone and a new laptop... Once I bought a tablet I ended using the tablet more than the laptop!

Last edited by a moderator:

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
OK, your comparisons are off as the screen on the 920 is far better than the padfone, as is the camera, but the padfone would get points for being an innovative idea.
The 32Gb of asus web storage is a non issue, as the whole point of WP8 is the cloud integration, adding a 3rd party storage solution into the mix defeats the point, might as well use dropbox which is supported by more vendors but is still a poor second due to the third party nature of the app.

Having said that, Id bet there would be a few interested parties if Nokia brought out a padfone type idea for a tablet

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
OK, your comparisons are off as the screen on the 920 is far better than the padfone, as is the camera, but the padfone would get points for being an innovative idea.
The 32Gb of asus web storage is a non issue, as the whole point of WP8 is the cloud integration, adding a 3rd party storage solution into the mix defeats the point, might as well use dropbox which is supported by more vendors but is still a poor second due to the third party nature of the app.

Having said that, Id bet there would be a few interested parties if Nokia brought out a padfone type idea for a tablet

I suppose it's a matter of choice, for me a camera is a camera so meh! As for the screen I wouldn't care about that either cause most of the time the phone would be in the large and vibrant station. What is the difference between Skydrive and Asus web storage? Don't they both do the same thing?

Since the Surface announcement I had hoped Nokia & MS would show us a Surface phone-let but no such luck. Considering Nokia is in MS hip pocket you would think this would be a no brainer.

LOLs all over the place.... thanks ma'am

Thanks lady... or dude... or whatever you are!

ColeHarris

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
the-trolling-is-strong-in-this-one-thumb.jpg

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
What is the difference between Skydrive and Asus web storage? Don't they both do the same thing?

Although they both do the same thing, it is all about the integration.
With WP8, skydrive is configured as a location within the OS and applications, apps will store their data on skydrive. If using Asus web storage, you would need to save locally and then backup to the cloud - the integration isn't there.
After years of using various cloud solutions with android, integration makes a massive difference, I wouldn't touch the asus solution (I have it as I have a rampage motherboard) as most apps don't support it.

Since the Surface announcement I had hoped Nokia & MS would show us a Surface phone-let but no such luck. Considering Nokia is in MS hip pocket you would think this would be a no brainer.

Completely agree, it would be an interesting solution that if done well would interest a lot of people

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb