With all of the talk around iPhone's 5 million phones sold on the first weekend and Samsung G3's 9 million sold in June, I was wondering how many Lumia 920's would Nokia have to sell to qualify as a success for Nokia? How many would they have to sell to qualify as a success in the general media and on Wall Street?

I believe they reported 4 million 900's sold in Q2, 2012. My thoughts are they would have to exceed that by a huge margin before the word 'success' was used in media when discussing the 920's.

Would 1 million pre-orders (1/2 of iPhone5 pre-orders) and 10 million units over the first 3 months be enough? Can they sell that many?

I'm good for at least 2 of those sales ;)
    09-24-2012 01:35 PM
    I think that would be good for the whole system, all the phones combined in other words. For that to be that one phone when there are so many other good options of phones out there running WP8 is a stretch.

I think on launch day, I'm going to go stand in line here when the employees get there just so I can say I stood in line for the phone. lol. Maybe the media will pick up on it and make it seem like a hotter commodity.

Honestly, I question that about those about the iPhone 5, since I know that here bother AT&T stores, the Verizon store and Sprint store still have plenty of iPhones left and never sold out. Maybe that is just here, if so, gives me hope for the area after all.
    09-24-2012 03:20 PM
    Enough for them to turn a profit and keep their investors happy. Though it is unlikely that they become #2 or #1, they can still be successful by staying afloat and getting the word out as a key player. I think eventually down the road, I think they can return to the former glory, but they have a lot of work ahead of them. Bottom line, they need to get out of the red. That's a good first step. I think they're heading in the right direction, but it's a slow process.
    09-24-2012 03:33 PM
    Enough to raise the stock prices. :D
    09-24-2012 03:39 PM
    Enough to raise the stock prices. :D
    EXACTLY. i dont care about the total numbers. the stock price is what scares me. its all about confidence. not ours, i mean the rest of the world.
    09-24-2012 07:03 PM
    I think selling 1 million in November would be a huge success.

I believe they can achieve that based on the number of Lumia 900's that were allegedly sold in their opening month. This time around there's much more buzz, and we're entering a big shopping season. If it's priced to compete, it stands a good chance.
    09-24-2012 07:09 PM
    If indeed the 4 million number is correct from Q2. I'd guess that 8 million in Nov & Dec would be a success. I don't know much about the mobile phone market but I'm assuming that Christmas is a big season for them. So if they can at least double the Q2 900 numbers in 2 months, I'd think that would be a success.
    09-24-2012 07:22 PM
    No less then 8 million sold in Nov-December will qualify as a success.
    09-25-2012 01:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD