Is there any information about the audio qualities of this phone?

pjskiboy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I almost posted in the thread about disappointments, but maybe I just haven't run across any articles on this yet.

Is there any information as to the audio qualities/capabilities of the Lumia 920?

My current phone is a HTC Inspire 4G and while it does the trick for the most part in regards to photos, call quality, etc....the big glaring weakness of this phone, IMO, is the audio quality. IT SUCKS.

I already 100% sold on the Lumia 920 regardless of whether or not the audio quality of it is subpar or not. I'd love for it to be something in line with what HTC has on the 8X with Beats Audio, for example.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
one more month... just one more month then we'll find out... arggg..... (well ok one more month and a couple days more, but that sounds even more painful)

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Here's something interesting to consider: in the world of audiophiles, being associated with Beats Audio is considered a detriment.

I'm no audiophile; I have a set of beats headphones that I use all the time, and they sound great to me, bu it's still interesting.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Here's something interesting to consider: in the world of audiophiles, being associated with Beats Audio is considered a detriment.

I'm no audiophile; I have a set of beats headphones that I use all the time, and they sound great to me, bu it's still interesting.

That's because we feel like the price is too high for the level of performance it delivers. And it also annoys me because I feel like people buy it because it's cool or because of the marketing.

Because before Beats, I could probably buy great $200 headphones from brands that people haven't heard of, and they'll tell me I'm wasting my money and stuff, why didn't I buy $30 headphones from Target or Best Buy or something. As if spending more money to get a better product is a waste of money.

Then after Beats, of course now everyone buys these expensive $300 headphones that to me don't sound like $300 headphones. So before they're telling me I shouldn't spend so much money on headphones, and then now all of a sudden $300 on headphones is a good investment?

It's just things like that that bother me.

pjskiboy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Sorry if i sounded like Beats Audio was the way to go, I definitely wasn't shooting for that. I'm definitely not an audiophile, so I don't know one technology from the rest, just found it peculiar that HTC pushes the Beats Audio with their phone and Nokia doesn't really say a word about the audio playback on the Lumia.

The software looks like something left over from the zune (not a bad thing at all), so I'm not worried about the software side of things; merely the hardware.

My HTC is my only MP3 player and it didn't seem like a big deal at first, but slowly I started realizing I didn't want to carry around any other device than my phone and then reality set in when I started to listen to music on the phone a lot. Just left me wondering if it was the phone or my expectations.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Honestly who cares? Most of the time people listen to music off their smartphone via bluetooth headphones. So for me, it's all about the Pure Motion HD+ screen, PureView camera technology, super-sensitive touch and WP8.

thirdsun

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Honestly who cares? Most of the time people listen to music off their smartphone via bluetooth headphones. So for me, it's all about the Pure Motion HD+ screen, PureView camera technology, super-sensitive touch and WP8.

Not everyone shares your interests.

Though if you actually listen to music via bluetooth it really doesn't matter since audio quality is limited over bluetooth. I'm more interested in the Lumias DAC. Didn't find any info yet. I want a clean, flat audio output that may actually handle higher bit depth and sample rates as I have a lot of 24Bit lossless audio in my collection.

Beats is pointless - as I said before it's just an EQ setting and you shouldn't mess up your music with so called enhancers.

cedarlog

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
it has Dolby sound
in terms of sound Nokia really great i always trust nokia with sound even on cheap phones so you shouldn't be worried
there was youtube video comparing Nokia sound vs competitors but i cant find it hope someone could

thirdsun

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
it has Dolby sound
in terms of sound Nokia really great i always trust nokia with sound even on cheap phones so you shouldn't be worried
there was youtube video comparing Nokia sound vs competitors but i cant find it hope someone could

I guess I can be confident that Nokias build quality also applies to audio components.

Not sure, what Video you are talking about but I suspect it tested the speakers? Personally I don't care for that - I was referring to the headphone output quality.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the same boat with you.
I'm a big audiophile myself (regular member of HeadFi) and sound quality via 3.5mm to me was the biggest disappointment. Loved Lumia 800 otherwise.

This goes hand on hand with the camera performance of the first Lumia series. Nokia is known for stellar, if not of the best sound quality via 3.5mm on N8 and 808 PureView and Symbian phones in general, but delivered something absolutely different to Lumia line of phones. As a owner of 808 PV the sound quality to my customs and Denon's in-ears is best i have ever had on a portable device. GSMarena has also put top marks on 808 on their true testing system.
Nokia 808 PureView review: Photo Finnish - GSMArena.com

Lumia 920 at least looks to be so more stellar performer with hopefully more mature OS. Dolby Digital Plus itself for pure music enjoyment doesn't mean much but it could mean that Nokia has put way more thought on that audio department than they did on Lumia 800.

Only time will tell. I got enough trust on them with Lumia 920 that i will have the phone in release date.

thirdsun

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm on the same boat with you.
I'm a big audiophile myself (regular member of HeadFi) and sound quality via 3.5mm to me was the biggest disappointment. Loved Lumia 800 otherwise.

This goes hand on hand with the camera performance of the first Lumia series. Nokia is known for stellar, if not of the best sound quality via 3.5mm on N8 and 808 PureView and Symbian phones in general, but delivered something absolutely different to Lumia line of phones. As a owner of 808 PV the sound quality to my customs and Denon's in-ears is best i have ever had on a portable device. GSMarena has also put top marks on 808 on their true testing system.
Nokia 808 PureView review: Photo Finnish - GSMArena.com

Lumia 920 at least looks to be so more stellar performer with hopefully more mature OS. Dolby Digital Plus itself for pure music enjoyment doesn't mean much but it could mean that Nokia has put way more thought on that audio department than they did on Lumia 800.

Only time will tell. I got enough trust on them with Lumia 920 that i will have the phone in release date.

Ok, this is useful information - I check with Head-fi very often as well and I'm a huge fan Grado Headphones. Of course I want to feed these high quality headphones with the kind of signal they deserve, but in the age of MP3s, "Mastered for iTunes" and Beats "enhancements" it's hard to get solid info regarding audio components and conversion quality, let alone something like a frequency response curve of the output.

As you mentioned the advertised Dolby processing isn't much help since I suspect this could be some pseudo-surround/3D emulationthe marketing department loves to put on tech spec lists. It doesn't say much about straight stereo quality.

I don't have a lot of experience with Nokia (longtime iPhone user here), but certainly hope they go back to their roots as you mentioned them. Another thought: could it be that audio components are part of the snapdragon SoC meaning that Nokia doesn't have any chance to customize beside software processing (like dolby)? This, of course, would mean that HTC and Nokia basically share the same signal path apart from the useless Beats software layer on top.

Mister Kay-O

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
For me personally, I don't really mind about the audio quality that's coming out via the 3.5mm jack because I always use my iPod Nano 5th Generation (the best imo) for music listening purposes but knowing Nokia from previous phones I'm sure the quality of the loudspeaker should be excellent.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Ok, this is useful information - I check with Head-fi very often as well and I'm a huge fan Grado Headphones. Of course I want to feed these high quality headphones with the kind of signal they deserve, but in the age of MP3s, "Mastered for iTunes" and Beats "enhancements" it's hard to get solid info regarding audio components and conversion quality, let alone something like a frequency response curve of the output.

As you mentioned the advertised Dolby processing isn't much help since I suspect this could be some pseudo-surround/3D emulationthe marketing department loves to put on tech spec lists. It doesn't say much about straight stereo quality.

I don't have a lot of experience with Nokia (longtime iPhone user here), but certainly hope they go back to their roots as you mentioned them. Another thought: could it be that audio components are part of the snapdragon SoC meaning that Nokia doesn't have any chance to customize beside software processing (like dolby)? This, of course, would mean that HTC and Nokia basically share the same signal path apart from the useless Beats software layer on top.

I've been desperately keeping an eye out for the audio quality coming out of the 3.5mm jack as well. On the Lumia 900, the signal is too weak and doesn't capture enough range and only makes this phone slightly passable for listening to music.

However, I do like that some attention has been turned to the audio qualities of the 920 with it at least proving Dolby? Headphone. This gives me some hope that the DAC included on the SoC will be up to par. Actually I don't know if the DAC is part of the SoC, I'm just assuming.

I did find this link on this site highlighting EQ settings. A bright spot? I hope so.
Nokia

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully the DAC will be decent, then again I only use it while im away from home, I can live without having the highest quality there is, as long as it's as good as my iPhone 4 (which have a crappy DAC).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3