Nokia Maps vs Bing Maps

iloveminimalism

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I have a question regarding maps on Windows Phone 8 for Lumia devices.
Am i correct in assuming that you can only access Nokia Maps on a Lumia 920, and not Bing Maps? Or will Bing Maps and Nokia Maps merge their data? Because frankly Nokia Maps is really awful in Japan. (Judging by the Nokia Maps website it's not usable at all!) I would love to have Bing quality maps of Japan with the Nokia Maps offline mode, but that's not going to happen, is it? :(
And lastly, will the HTC phones still use Bing Maps or are they using Nokia Maps too? (I know they have Nokia Drive)

Last edited:

volcane2004

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I have a question regarding maps on Windows Phone 8 for Lumia devices.
Am i correct in assuming that you can only access Nokia Maps on a Lumia 920, and not Bing Maps? Or will Bing Maps and Nokia Maps merge their data? Because frankly Nokia Maps is really awful in Japan. (Judging by the Nokia Maps website it's not usable at all!) I would love to have Bing quality maps of Japan with the Nokia Maps offline mode, but that's not going to happen, is it? :(
And lastly, will the HTC phones still use Bing Maps or are they using Nokia Maps too? (I know they have Nokia Drive)
I'm pretty sure that Nokia Maps is going to replace Bing Maps. But maybe not in the way you expect. I'm guessing that it is going to pull data from Nokia's end, but be pretty much the same Bing experience with a different name.

And from what I've read, Nokia Maps is going to be on all Windows Phone 8 devices. It makes sense if they are going to replace Bing Maps with Nokia Maps.

What I wonder is if offline map support will be coming in the 7.8 Apollo update to us who don't have Lumias.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that Nokia Maps is going to replace Bing Maps. But maybe not in the way you expect. I'm guessing that it is going to pull data from Nokia's end, but be pretty much the same Bing experience with a different name.

And from what I've read, Nokia Maps is going to be on all Windows Phone 8 devices. It makes sense if they are going to replace Bing Maps with Nokia Maps.

What I wonder is if offline map support will be coming in the 7.8 Apollo update to us who don't have Lumias.

I'm hoping you're right about the way that Nokia Maps and Bing Maps are transitioning... because I really do like Bing Maps as-is aside from the whole "tap for next step" nonsense. If that was fixed, I'd be a VERY happy user the way things are.

That said, no... offline maps is part of Nokia Drive not Nokia Maps (near as I can tell), so I don't believe non-Nokia phones are picking up the feature.

Rob41664

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
From what I had read Nokia Drive is coming to all WP8 handsets. I imaging Nokia will add a few extras for their phones but Drive app with offline maps is coming to everyone as I understand it..

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
From what I had read Nokia Drive is coming to all WP8 handsets. I imaging Nokia will add a few extras for their phones but Drive app with offline maps is coming to everyone as I understand it..

Nokia Maps is coming... I don't believe that's the case about Nokia Drive. I could be wrong.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Maps AND Nokia Drive are coming to all WP8 phones. This is just one of many articles you can easily find doing a Bing search on the topic:

Nokia Maps, and the whole Nokia Location platform, including Nokia Drive, coming to all of Windows Phone 8 (not just Nokia) | LiveSide.net

I still don't know what this means for old Bing map technology. Is it merged? Is it fully replaced?

Good to hear that. It will be benifical for Nokia. Apple apologized for their iLost and recommended Nokia Maps. Now Microsoft will ditch bing maps and recommend Nokia Maps

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans