Does anyone know if the 920 will support 5Ghz N?

DallasFann

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I saw on some spec sheet for the 8x that it supported 5Ghz but haven't seen anything on the 920. I realize it is not as wide spread as the 2.4 but would like to be able to use my 5Ghz at home.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
From what I read, it does support 802.11a.

I could be wrong, but doesn't using the 5GHz high band cause faster battery drain?

DasFunfZigste

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
802.1n wireless standard has both 2.4ghz / 5ghz spectrum.

It has to be an error. If they only offered one part of that wireless standard they could not classify it as "N."

Both phones offer 802.1n wireless standard.

DallasFann

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
From what I read, it does support 802.11a.

I could be wrong, but doesn't using the 5GHz high band cause faster battery drain?
I read on a 900 forum they thought it would use more battery but since 5Ghz is mostly in home entertainment settings a charger would be around somewhere especially with a wireless charger.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I read on a 900 forum they thought it would use more battery but since 5Ghz is mostly in home entertainment settings a charger would be around somewhere especially with a wireless charger.

Well if you have a big house I can see why you would want to use the high band, but otherwise it seems pointless to me. I only use mine when I go outside or don't want my laptop to interfere with another 2.4ghz device.

Yangstax

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I saw on some spec sheet for the 8x that it supported 5Ghz but haven't seen anything on the 920. I realize it is not as wide spread as the 2.4 but would like to be able to use my 5Ghz at home.
I'm using a Netgear dual-band range extender (2.4/5 Ghz) in the house. All devices with 802.11n, including L900, are supported. It works great with 5Ghz.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I agree that it does support 5Ghz because the official Nokia site says "WLAN IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n" which since it lists a means it support 5Ghz. To say you support n does not mean you need to support both 2.4 and 5, it means you can support one or the other. Just look at all of the 2.4Ghz only n wireless routers on the market. Wireless a is 5Ghz only so if a product supports a then it has to support 5Ghz.

Nokia Lumia 920 Specifications - Nokia - USA

Side note, they have removed all Data Network specs from the official site. Hmmmmm.....

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Well if you have a big house I can see why you would want to use the high band, but otherwise it seems pointless to me. I only use mine when I go outside or don't want my laptop to interfere with another 2.4ghz device.

As a network engineer that comment made me want to wince :)
I could go on about beamforming, channel bonding, etc, but take it from me - it is a lot faster, especially if you use 40Mhz channels..

to be fair, web browsing, you won't notice the difference, but large transfers are a lot quicker.

Enjoy it while it lasts, with 802.11ac on its way the 5Ghz spectrum will be getting a lot more crowded going forward, this is the best time to be using it in a city environment

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
As a network engineer that comment made me want to wince :)
I could go on about beamforming, channel bonding, etc, but take it from me - it is a lot faster, especially if you use 40Mhz channels..

to be fair, web browsing, you won't notice the difference, but large transfers are a lot quicker.

Enjoy it while it lasts, with 802.11ac on its way the 5Ghz spectrum will be getting a lot more crowded going forward, this is the best time to be using it in a city environment

I have a degree in network administration. I am aware that it's faster, but why would you ever be bottlenecking on your local network with anything you do on a phone...? Why would you even be doing a lot of large file transfers across your intranet with your phone?

That is my entire point.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo