10-05-2012 09:34 PM
46 12
tools
    'But all the negative news/rumors make me wonder if I should jump onto a sinking ship, maybe I should get a 8x instead?'

Just because a company is around to support a device doesn't mean they will. I think you'll still get support from Nokia even in 'death'. Just look at Symbian, they have released multiple updates to multiple devices since their announcement with MS.
    10-03-2012 07:27 AM
    I expect Nokia to bring a device to the top end which will use all of the WP8 hardware options to the max. That would include a 20Mpix PureView camera, quadcore CPU, more memory and RAM and possibly a 5inch screen.

For now the 820 will suite me just fine and I can always jump to the 920 if I'm wrong later.
    All this could have been done already if they also used android which gives some legitimacy to the opinion that they should have gone with both platforms, which I now believe would have been best for the company. And it may not have rocketed them to the top overnight but I think we can agree that they would compete very well with a Pureview device running with high specs and would have got them some sales to bolster their bottom line and put them in a better financial position than they are in today with WP still not guaranteed to take off.
    10-03-2012 07:36 AM
    'But all the negative news/rumors make me wonder if I should jump onto a sinking ship, maybe I should get a 8x instead?'

Just because a company is around to support a device doesn't mean they will. I think you'll still get support from Nokia even in 'death'. Just look at Symbian, they have released multiple updates to multiple devices since their announcement with MS.
    Good point. Maybe we should ask Titan users how well HTC supported them.

In the end Nokia is no different from any other company. Apple is really the only company that continually announces a product, then lets you buy it at the end of the week. Nokia is doing their own thing, and they're doing it better than anyone here could. We only get to know what they want us to know. Let's give them a bit more credit.

Besides if Nokia does go under a year from now, does that change how awesome the 920 is now?
    10-03-2012 07:42 AM
    I will buy the 920 when it comes out, but here are my 2 cents:

Remember how excited you were the day Nokia announced the 920/820?! Imagine you could have bought the phone 3 days after that compared to your excitement now while awaiting.

Apple has the marketing aspect of things nailed down, they announce a phone, and tell you when you can pre-order it and when it will launch and to which carriers. Nice and simple. People get very excited (over tin maybe too) and rush into stores to pre-order/buy.

Nokia on the other hand is not on top of things pertaining to announcing pricing and carrier availability which is eating away from that excitement. One proof to this is some people starting to shift towards the 8X for example which was announced to be coming to AT&T in November.
    The OS was not ready, hardly their fault. And Samsung also has no availability or pricing even though they announced their device first so are they also not on top of things? Not forgetting also that European carriers have started announcing availability so in reality Nokia is probably still on track and just announcing deals when they are ready.
    10-03-2012 07:43 AM
    Remember how excited you were the day Nokia announced the 920/820?! Imagine you could have bought the phone 3 days after that compared to your excitement now while awaiting.
    Let me counter that.

Microsoft has always had the delivery of WP8 set for late oct/early nov.

So, imagine Microsoft had just announced the death of WP7 in July, and said absolutely nothing about WP8.

Imagine 2 weeks time, would be the first time we heard any of the features of WP8, or devices, or prices or availability. We have an Apple-esque huge WP8 reveal, after 6 months of abstract silence.

How many people would have migrated to iOS or Android in that time? 6 months of absolutely nothing.
    10-03-2012 07:57 AM
    Guys, the OS being announced and revealed is one thing and devices being announced and revealed and a time given as to when they can be bought is another thing.

I understand Microsoft is the late runner here, but as far as a process is concerned, announcing a phone (given its OS is ready) and delivering pricing and availability right away DEFINITELY creates a huge momentum and this results in high sales number (a la Apple method.)

We all knew that WP8 will be out late October early November since their Sneek Peek event. Better planning should have been done between MS and its OEMs in order to announce devices along with pricing and dates.
    10-03-2012 08:29 AM
    I will buy the 920 when it comes out, but here are my 2 cents:

I agree with this, but we don't know that the delay is down to nokia and not Microsoft??

Having said that, it would have been nice if nokia had said this is the phone, you can pre-order it on 21/10 and it will be delivered 02/11 - cuts out all the speculation, everyone knows where they stand...
    Xsever likes this.
    10-03-2012 08:40 AM
    Why are people so concerned about saving Nokia? There are other companies out there.
    Just about every thread has someone concerned about how Nokia is going to survive.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
    Because those other companies don't make products that appeal to me.
    10-03-2012 03:23 PM
    it's also because we like the underdog especially if the underdog used to be good and loyal to you. A market with Nokia is way better than a market with only Samsung and Apple

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Xsever likes this.
    10-03-2012 03:39 PM
    True, but that money is not enough to save Nokia from the mess. Lumia 800/900 will be a much bigger success if they are on Android as well. Look at how much GS II and GS III are sold by Samsung.
    Microsoft gave/giving a huge chunk of money AND also pay Nokia for other features to be included into WP's OS. also look at android market... no one is really making money besides samsung.
    10-03-2012 07:32 PM
    True, but that money is not enough to save Nokia from the mess. Lumia 800/900 will be a much bigger success if they are on Android as well. Look at how much GS II and GS III are sold by Samsung.
    OK and now go look at how many units the other Android OEMs are selling. Samsung is the only one making any kind of REAL money off of the little green robot. HTC, Sony Mobile, LG, are all circling the drain.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    10-03-2012 11:06 PM
    People act like Nokia is broke.

They're not broke by a long shot. They have a lot of operating liquid cash.

Their stock is low. And people seem to think that means they're struggling to stay afloat.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    10-03-2012 11:10 PM
    that's because those players don't have impressive devices. I think with 800/900, story will be different.

10-04-2012 01:22 AM
    People act like Nokia is broke.

They're not broke by a long shot. They have a lot of operating liquid cash.

Their stock is low. And people seem to think that means they're struggling to stay afloat.
    A company looking for selling their HQ building doesn't look like they have a load of cash to me.

10-04-2012 01:24 AM
    A company looking for selling their HQ building doesn't look like they have a load of cash to me.

You still don't understand that renting your HQ is standard for most companies in big parts of the world? And it is not uncommon for the older companies that already own their real estate to sell it and rent it back instead.
    10-04-2012 01:30 AM
    I just have a bad feeling that folks with little to no understanding about business and sales will create multiple topics of the same unnecessary prophecies about how if a doesn't come before b, then c will never happen.

Oh wait...
    Gaichuke, a5cent, tissotti and 1 others like this.
    10-04-2012 03:13 AM

A LOT of companies sell their buildings and then lease it back from the company they sell it to. It eliminates the need for a lot of real estate management; which is not a business that a streamlined Nokia should be in. It also gives another boost if liquid cash while eliminating overhead associated with managing real estate.
    10-04-2012 09:11 AM
    I just have a bad feeling that folks with little to no understanding about business and sales will create multiple topics of the same unnecessary prophecies about how if a doesn't come before b, then c will never happen.

Oh wait...
    You're like a prophet. But one that can see into the past and present!
    cckgz4 likes this.
    10-04-2012 09:13 AM
    Nokia is still a long way from being out of the woods, but I wouldn't worry or count them out just yet.

I have faith in them still.

I really do hope they pull it out in the long run though. I'd hate to be limited to the selection of cheap crappy Asian phones that can do no better than mimic Android models or try and copy Nokia's style minus the build quality. That would be very disappointing indeed.
    tissotti likes this.
    10-04-2012 02:46 PM
    Nokia is still a long way from being out of the woods, but I wouldn't worry or count them out just yet.

I have faith in them still.

I really do hope they pull it out in the long run though. I'd hate to be limited to the selection of cheap crappy Asian phones that can do no better than mimic Android models or try and copy Nokia's style minus the build quality. That would be very disappointing indeed.
    Looks like Microsoft itself might become a threat by launching their own phone to compete with nokia
    10-05-2012 12:25 AM
    The big concern is actually Samsung, if the wp8 market expands significantly, they will ramp up their activities and use their size and economies of scale to steamroll both companies.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    I can't really say that would cause me to leak a tear. I love my L900, but if I could get a Note2 running WP8 it would be a no brainer.
    10-05-2012 09:34 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD