Hopefully Microsoft buys Nokia

gzlesk

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Nokias dead, if they put ther phone on all carriers they would of been a very happy company but they didnt, now they are going to go out of business. But I dont want there style and innovation to go down with it. I want Microsoft to buy them out to get the maps, city scene, Nokia pulse, pureview technology, Nokias screen technology, everything Nokia chamions I want to live on. It would be exactly what Google and Motorola have going on.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Nokias dead,

You do know there's a whole, real live planet we live on, and it includes a small place called China with 600 million subscribers and the 920 will be carried there, right? As well as numerous carriers in Europe, including Germany and Italy?

In other words, the US is not the only country in the world, Nokia will be fine.

Last edited:

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
You do know there's a whole, real live planet we live on, and it includes a small place called China with 600 million subscribers and the 920 will be carried there, right? As well as numerous carriers in Europe, including Germany and Italy??

In other words, the US is not the only country in the world, Nokia will be fine.
China and Asia is likely Nokia's Clear Focus. because Asia and Europe are MORE IMPORTANT THAN AMERICA

cammsaul

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
You do know there's a whole, real live planet we live on, and it includes a small place called China with 600 million subscribers and the 920 will be carried there, right? As well as numerous carriers in Europe, including Germany and Italy?

true, but with so many important tech companies located in the US, if it fails to catch on here the decreased visibility can mean these companies won't feel the need to make apps for WP, or will make them a lower priority. A weaker app marketplace will hurt the platform

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
China and Asia is likely Nokia's Clear Focus. because Asia and Europe are MORE IMPORTANT THAN AMERICA
except the most of asia buys lower end devices... and nokia once said almost that exact line a few years back and look where that got them. North America is the biggest market for high end devices.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
true, but with so many important tech companies located in the US, if it fails to catch on here the decreased visibility can mean these companies won't feel the need to make apps for WP, or will make them a lower priority. A weaker app marketplace will hurt the platform

Nokia has brought more apps to the platform than any other OEM, I dont think that will change with the 920. On the contrary, I would expect more innovative apps with all the new hardware capabilities.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
We still don't know what the AT&T exclusive means. It could just be a time period exclusive, where the phone will eventually arrive on all carriers. Or, as suggested elsewhere, it could be a technicality, the GSM based Lumia 920 is exclusive to AT&T, but a CDMA Lumia 922 is for sale at VZW.

I wouldn't count it out until we hear a definite no from Verizon or Nokia. I wouldn't exactly trust AT&T as the unflappable source of news for their competitors.

DungMasterFang

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Nokias dead, if they put ther phone on all carriers they would of been a very happy company but they didnt, now they are going to go out of business. But I dont want there style and innovation to go down with it. I want Microsoft to buy them out to get the maps, city scene, Nokia pulse, pureview technology, Nokias screen technology, everything Nokia chamions I want to live on. It would be exactly what Google and Motorola have going on.

Elop: "As a company we think of ourselves as having five distinct businesses. Smartphones are very topical, but there are four other businesses at Nokia.

Mobile phones [like the Asha line] are really important because we have 30 percent market share. It?s profitable; it generates cash and helps us to invest in other areas.

Second business is location-based services, where companies like Oracle and Amazon pay us money to take advantage of our location based services. Nine out of ten cars, if they location based services, are somehow paying Nokia.

The third is Nokia Siemens network, this is our joint partnership with Siemens. The telecommunications equipment business is a tough market, and it?s been very problematic over the years. But it went profitable for the first time last quarter and has generated cash for the last three quarters. And we?ve provided guidance that says it gets better from here, so that?s good.

And the fourth is patents and intellectual property. And more so today even than a year ago or two years ago the importance of having one of the strongest patent portfolios in the market is very, very, very clear. And that?s something that we monetize in various ways. We use it to protect our inventions. We use them on an offensive basis if people are using our innovations without paying for them.

When you look at Nokia overall, there?s five businesses, four of which are improving or generating cash or doing the right thing, while one of them [smartphones] is an area of very deliberate, very specific investments to show off our best work and break into markets like the U.S., where we?ve been less than present for some time."

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
What I think about the exclusive. More importantly why? Nokia needs cash now my bet is ATT paid big time for the exclusive upfront money Nokia needed to get the supplies needed to build enough 820 & 920 devices to get them moving again. Not the decision we all want but one that Nokia had to make. I bet the exclusive lasts no more that 3 months depending on ATT sales. Is it a good decision of Nokia I would guess that depends on how you look at it. If you don't have the money to make the devices you have to make an up front deal. My personal feelings on the matter is I am with ATT so I like it. All y'all come join me...lol

P.S. Nokia is far from dead.

gzlesk

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Elop: "As a company we think of ourselves as having five distinct businesses. Smartphones are very topical, but there are four other businesses at Nokia.

Mobile phones [like the Asha line] are really important because we have 30 percent market share. It?s profitable; it generates cash and helps us to invest in other areas.

Second business is location-based services, where companies like Oracle and Amazon pay us money to take advantage of our location based services. Nine out of ten cars, if they location based services, are somehow paying Nokia.

The third is Nokia Siemens network, this is our joint partnership with Siemens. The telecommunications equipment business is a tough market, and it?s been very problematic over the years. But it went profitable for the first time last quarter and has generated cash for the last three quarters. And we?ve provided guidance that says it gets better from here, so that?s good.

And the fourth is patents and intellectual property. And more so today even than a year ago or two years ago the importance of having one of the strongest patent portfolios in the market is very, very, very clear. And that?s something that we monetize in various ways. We use it to protect our inventions. We use them on an offensive basis if people are using our innovations without paying for them.

When you look at Nokia overall, there?s five businesses, four of which are improving or generating cash or doing the right thing, while one of them [smartphones] is an area of very deliberate, very specific investments to show off our best work and break into markets like the U.S., where we?ve been less than present for some time."
There bleeding money every quarter and having an exclusive contract with carriers in US, UK, Canada, Germany and Australlia doesnt help one bit.

gzlesk

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
What I think about the exclusive. More importantly why? Nokia needs cash now my bet is ATT paid big time for the exclusive upfront money Nokia needed to get the supplies needed to build enough 820 & 920 devices to get them moving again. Not the decision we all want but one that Nokia had to make. I bet the exclusive lasts no more that 3 months depending on ATT sales. Is it a good decision of Nokia I would guess that depends on how you look at it. If you don't have the money to make the devices you have to make an up front deal. My personal feelings on the matter is I am with ATT so I like it. All y'all come join me...lol

I hope your right but I just dont see it. Maybe they wouldnt be if HTC just gave us another remake of Android but HTC 8x even though an inferior phone will provide alot of competition especially since its on all the networks

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

Basically. The money AT&T (or any carrier for that matter) can offer Nokia for free advertising essentially is necessary for the company to survive. A carrier is simply not going to heavily promote your device for you unless they get something out of the deal. If you wheel and deal with them they will train their staff to push your device first, they will ensure you get recommended in all their stores, and they will have ads for you. That is all very valuable to a company struggling to stay afloat. In fact they could see it as harmful to not make this move because then they would need to invest the money in the ads and they still won't have the carrier sales staff pushing their device.

Faux Carnival

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

Plus, you can't sell anything other than an iPhone in the United States. That's why European and Asian manufacturers don't go in the American market that aggressively.

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
First of all I don't think the Lumias are going to be all exclusive to AT&T. Secondly there are the rest of the world where Nokia will sell loads of devices.

Even if they went exclusivly with AT&T they might be getting a larger market share in the US they would be if they went with all carriers due to heavy marketing.

Last edited:

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Carrier exclusivity gets the carrier behind the product and the platform. Having the Lumias on all carriers (at this stage) carries the risk of them being put the back of the store where no one bothers to look. It's sad, but true; carriers are only interested in the popularity of a product because it's easier to sell.

Loz Blake

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
except the most of asia buys lower end devices... and nokia once said almost that exact line a few years back and look where that got them. North America is the biggest market for high end devices.
Rubbish, both Europe and Asia have bigger high end smartphone markets than the USA and yet Nokia have an exclusivity deal on the largest North American carrier, their is no problem here for Nokia.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Sigh.... and today's Microsoft is to buy Nokia and/or Nokia is dead is from......

Not sure why there is a group of mobile enthusiasts that just are sold on Nokia being sold. This will not happen in ANY scenario. There will be a new CEO with some emergency devices with Android or whatever OS is their "back-up plan" long before Nokia is sold even if WP8 Nokia's fail. And since that hasn't happened yet, there is no reason to write off a company as far reaching and well known as Nokia.

I am not worried about exclusivity, either. There are far too many fun rumors relating to other carriers latching onto the 920. Plus, I am sure the second wave of WP8 Nokia's are in development right now. High end follow ups to the 920 that will help.

Yes, I agree if Nokia were to need to be bought out, MS would be the best buyer. It is my hope and prayer that never happens. An independent Nokia is the best option.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Nokias dead, if they put ther phone on all carriers they would of been a very happy company but they didnt, now they are going to go out of business.

SIPDn.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb