So no FM Radio? Now what?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
you are correct, it was a chassis requirement with WP7. It seemed it was a carry over feature from the Zune players because they all had FM players. I have had certain scenarios come up where the FM radio came in handy (bears games on my way home from work), but I can see MSFT dropping this requirement.

I don't think the OEMs have much they can do add it in the Music hub. Maybe someone will make an custom app, If anyone would it'd be Nokia. They'd make an exclusive app that told you if it was a Leap Year if someone asked.

FM is pretty much useless here except for Browns games. The Cavs and Indians are on AM.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I think very few people use that feature.

As far as I'm concerned, NPR is the only thing worth listening to on FM radio and even that can be found just as easily through podcasts.

Although Nokia has long made the FM radio a feature on a lot of their phones, I think it will be pushed aside to make room for other things. Perhaps digital radio or even satellite radio. Either one would be much more welcome I think. But most people listen to their own music, or streaming music and use podcasts. You could probably count the people actually using the FM radio on their Lumia regularly on one hand. I think I've used it twice since I've had my phone. It's more of a novelty now than anything else.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I think very few people use that feature.

As far as I'm concerned, NPR is the only thing worth listening to on FM radio and even that can be found just as easily through podcasts.

Although Nokia has long made the FM radio a feature on a lot of their phones, I think it will be pushed aside to make room for other things. Perhaps digital radio or even satellite radio. Either one would be much more welcome I think. But most people listen to their own music, or streaming music and use podcasts. You could probably count the people actually using the FM radio on their Lumia regularly on one hand. I think I've used it twice since I've had my phone. It's more of a novelty now than anything else.

Just because very few people use it doesn't mean it's not there. It's been on every WP since and it's on the L900. And I do use FM very occasionally and I'm glad it's there.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I for one listens to FM radio almost every day during my train ride to work. Along the way the reception can be quite bad, but the mobile network signal is far worse so network radio is not an option for me. I know many BT-headsets have built in radio receiver so if/when I get the lumia 920 I guess I have to buy one of these also.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2.

Have you considered podcasts and offline stored music, like Zune pass or Slacker Radio to fulfill your needs when your data connection is spotty?

Blackwood504

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Just my 2 cents but from most of the videos I have seen none of them have "radio" in the "music+video" app. I'll post a screen shot of it if I can find one of the videos.

Blackwood504

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
No Radio???

This is from the Samsung Ativ S...but why would they be the only phone to not have it? I'm guessing if the Ativ doesn't have it then the other phone won't have it as well.

Screen%20Shot%202012-10-09%20at%207.19.41%20PM.png

Blackwood504

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
For those who want to see this on the lumia 920...here you go. I took this clip from when a rep accidentally pressed music. It went right to history but you can clearly see "Music, Video, Podcast, Store" NO RADIO. All of this could change I guess but right now there seems to be no FM Radio in WP8. Scoop???

Screen%20Shot%202012-10-09%20at%207.56.41%20PM.png

Xaphoon148

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Was hoping it would come with fm radio since I'm using it 5-7 hours a day on
my htc Radar. We actually got fm stations worth listening to.
Anyway, a yellow L920 is my next...
But in addition, a Bluetooth device with fm receiver it is then...

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
For those who want to see this on the lumia 920...here you go. I took this clip from when a rep accidentally pressed music. It went right to history but you can clearly see "Music, Video, Podcast, Store" NO RADIO. All of this could change I guess but right now there seems to be no FM Radio in WP8. Scoop???

Click to view quoted image

To be fair, there are no headphones plugged in. Maybe the option only pops up if there are headphones present (as they are required to use as an aerial)

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm not overly familiar with the WP7 either, but is that where WP7 has radio listed?

Well, I come from Symbian, so I guess I'm used to non-user friendly menus, but that's not where I'd even expect to find an FM radio tbh.

thzman

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Have you considered podcasts and offline stored music, like Zune pass or Slacker Radio to fulfill your needs when your data connection is spotty?

Yep, I have downloaded some podcasts at times but not generally. Slacker Radio is not available in Sweden there I live, but thanks for the suggestion. :)
Also I'm mostly interested in the morning shows at different radio stations. I don't have a WP yet. I'm still on Android but I'm going to switch by the beginning of next year. I'll probably go for the 920. :)

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Silly people. This is a board troll post...

How many people here have actually ever used the phone based FM radio? I know I've never used it.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Silly people. This is a board troll post...

How many people here have actually ever used the phone based FM radio? I know I've never used it.

I need a way to get tuned in to local stations in case of problems. I haven't used it yet but I want the option there in case crap hits the fan. Imagine I have no data signal or WiFi for internet radio and I get stranded. I need a way to hear advice and help.

SoloXCRacer

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
You know, after reading this thread, I just realized that my Lumia 900 has a radio. I never listen to the radio though, so not a big deal for me. But it's cool having it I guess.

NokiaLumia900Radio.jpg

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I use the FM radio a lot... Not as Much as I would like but, I do use it... I do hope it's in the final release of WP8, I would be disapointed if it didn't come with it.

It's handy for Sports fans, as I use it for a lot of sports talk radio when I am outside doing things, from cutting the grass to riding a bike...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss