A question haven't been asked yet (I Guess!!)

Bsoueid

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
My First thread here!!

I haven't seen any questions or talk about the Capability of the Nokia L920 to upgrade to the next version of WPOS. We were all disappointed when we know that L900 will not be able to upgrade to WP8.

I'm very excited about L920 and can't wait to get it, but I'm concerned about this issue which hopefully won't exist in L920.

What do you think?

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Well since the next version. windows phone 9. Is likely still a NT core. I say yes It would likely be upgradable. It has enough ram to upgrade and run smoothly. Also 8.5 will very likely be upgradable to that version

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't think there will be that issue this time around due to the whole kernel thing with Windows 8.

Last edited:

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Good question. This crossed my mind as well. Looks like it would be upgradeable to 9 so long as it still requires the same hardware and supposing the WP9 devices won't require quad-core processors. :p

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Are you purchasing the L920 for what "may" be available in WP9.0? Or are you buying or based on what will be included in WP8?

The L900 won't stop working at midnight on 10/29/12. **** happens. Get over it, and get a phone for what it can do today. Enjoy.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

DeWize1

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
The changing of the kernel from WP7 to WP8 was a generational shift, a change in how the code was written to better implement this idea of "3 screens." This will allow the seemless integration they have been boasting to be possible. Considering it has been more then two years since the launch of WP7, even if by some chance there is another kernel shift, the 920 will already have been replaced by new hardware, and those in contracts will be able to upgrade.

My opinion, Nokia will have leanred from their mistake with their first liune of Lumia's, and all next gen hardware will see a long future of support.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
It's not like you are going to be keeping your 920 for 5 years. Technology moves fast. Whatever is the latest and greatest today, isn't going to be the latest and greatest 6 months from now.

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Some people still have their iPhone 3GS from 2009 and are now updated onto iOS 6.

But they run like crap and don't have alot of features. My old iPhone 3G was totally unusable on iOS 4. I don't recall it being like that when it came out on iOS 2.

Anyway, it's too early to tell how updates will go with the next gen windows phones. If you want to be sure of updates then you'll have to go with an iPhone or Google Nexus. I imagine it will be possible to upgrade to WP9 but then again we could very well get told that the hardware isn't capable. Unless Microsoft/Nokia give a clear indication then I guess we're only really guaranteed for 18 months (apparently what Microsoft has stated previously). Beyond that nobody knows. Atleast that's longer than the L900.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Like it was said on the first answer WP8 is new OS, only the looks are same.

Now as WP8 uses NT kernel it's kind of hard to see why Microsoft would do same kind of change again. Microsoft also promised to deliver updates for certain time on WP8 launch (can't remember what that time span was).

As a whole nobody can truly promise you anything (update can be spinned to anything on a corporate talk) , but it seems highly unlike that we will see WP7 and WP8 kind situation in the next 5 years.

But they run like crap and don't have alot of features. My old iPhone 3G was totally unusable on iOS 4. I don't recall it being like that when it came out on iOS 2.

That's partly true, but the underlying software change on WP8 that will make many future apps not compatible to WP7.X is quite a bit different from not providing all of the new features on sf update.

Bsoueid

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Are you purchasing the L920 for what "may" be available in WP9.0? Or are you buying or based on what will be included in WP8?

The L900 won't stop working at midnight on 10/29/12. **** happens. Get over it, and get a phone for what it can do today. Enjoy.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
Actually I do own a lumia 900 now and I'm in love with it :D. I never switched away from Nokia since my first N72, I trust Nokia and I'm loyal to them and I'm expecting a lot from them. Also I'm definitely getting my Yellow LUMIA 920 ;)

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Let's just give MS the benefit of the doubt. NODO, Mango, Tango, and 7.8 all are updates that 1st Gen devices received. That is a good track record. I think the 920 and all 5 of the announced devices will have great upgrade possibilities.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
My 3gs runs just fine on iOS 6. Now the 3g ran like crap on the iOS 4, but the 3gs runs good on iOS 6. The only features that don't work is because of hardware issues.

Let's just give MS the benefit of the doubt. NODO, Mango, Tango, and 7.8 all are updates that 1st Gen devices received. That is a good track record. I think the 920 and all 5 of the announced devices will have great upgrade possibilities.

Microsoft already did a generation change once, WM 6.5 was not upgradeable to WP7 even thou the HD2 could easily run WP7. WP7 will not be able to run WP8. Same thing is happening again, I doubt WP8 devices will be able to run WP9 OS. It does kind of suck when thinking you want to invest in a platform, I am talking about the App store. The devices will always get better, The iphone 5 will run any iOS app, WP7 will only run WP7 apps and will not run WP8 apps written for WP8, even if the hardware would allow it.

This itself does scare me with regarding investing more into this platform.

ratchetjaw#AC

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
My 3gs runs just fine on iOS 6. Now the 3g ran like crap on the iOS 4, but the 3gs runs good on iOS 6. The only features that don't work is because of hardware issues.

Microsoft already did a generation change once, WM 6.5 was not upgradeable to WP7 even thou the HD2 could easily run WP7. WP7 will not be able to run WP8. Same thing is happening again, I doubt WP8 devices will be able to run WP9 OS. It does kind of suck when thinking you want to invest in a platform, I am talking about the App store. The devices will always get better, The iphone 5 will run any iOS app, WP7 will only run WP7 apps and will not run WP8 apps written for WP8, even if the hardware would allow it.

This itself does scare me with regarding investing more into this platform.

Good point about the apps. Just for clarification wp7 apps will work or be updated for wp8 won't they?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Loz Blake

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
If WP9 is release in the next 18months, then yes it will be on Lumia 920. What I imagine will happen is there will be a 8.5 in a year which we'll all get, a year after than there will be WP9, which we won't get.

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site

So the iphone 4 can't run Siri because of hardware issues? Pretty sure that's proven wrong. Apple remove features not only because of hardware issues but because they don't want their older devices to have some new features to make their new devices look better.

Perhaps I'm letting my bad experience with the 3G taint my view on their updates. Anyway, I do commend them for updating the 3gs to iOS 6. That's an extra update over the 3G.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
The shared W8/WP8 kernel supports up to 64 cores. MS won't be "orphaning" phones again for a long time. Plus they announced a while back that all WP8+ devices would be guaranteed a minimum of 18 months of software update support.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte