10-13-2012 01:43 PM
31 12
tools
    I asked on the TMo article linked in this thread, but didn't really get a response. After some research I only have more questions. If/when I buy the 920, I plan on sticking with TMobile. ATT is way too expensive for what they provide.

1. The article says current 1700MHz HSPA+ won't be supported. Does that mean I get normal 3G, or ONLY EDGE speed?

2. Has the Denver area of CO been refarmed yet?

3. Is it fair to assume that the total refarming will be complete by 1Q 2013 as previously promised by TMo?
    3. They promised by end of year. Now I read only in major city. Then I read in mid 2013.
    10-12-2012 04:07 PM
    In case you guys don't know about this update-able map

Sightings of T-Mobile 3G/4G/HSPA+ coverage on 1900MHz (PCS/UMTS band II)

If there's a place on there not already marked, mark it on the map!

Although the AT&T version of the 920 doesn't support 1700 and will only work on EDGE, I'm still gonna buy the 920 (hoping the international version will have pentaband support). I live near Los Angeles so I hope they'll expand on that refarming. T-mo's $30 montly 4G plan is pretty unbeatable in my opinion.
    palandri likes this.
    10-12-2012 05:47 PM
    You need all bands supported for a particular generation to work. As we're missing one of the T-Mo 3G bands, 3G won't work full stop unless on the reframed part of their spectrum. So yes unless reframed you're looking at EDGE only. As for 2 & 3, that I will leave to someone better advised.
    I was under the impression that the 1700 AWS band was the “4G” HSPA+ the article mentioned. I was hoping to get the unlocked Lumia 920 on the StraightTalk plan that uses AT&T/T-Mobile towers. Are you saying that the Lumia 920 will only get EDGE on that?
    Last edited by Ploogle; 10-12-2012 at 06:49 PM.
    10-12-2012 06:43 PM
    I was under the impression that the 1700 AWS band was the 4G HSPA+ the article mentioned. I was hoping to get the unlocked Lumia 920 on the StraightTalk plan that uses AT&T/T-Mobile towers. Are you saying that the Lumia 920 will only get EDGE on that?
    The advantage is, is that under Straight Talk, you will defect to reframed T-Mo towers and AT&T towers ONLY, such that you can still get your HSDPA/3G. Of course, if there's none of them around, only a non-reframed T-Mo tower, then you're stuck with EDGE. If you use T-Mo directly, as I plan to, you will have to hope the towers in range are reframed.
    10-13-2012 07:41 AM
    In case you guys don't know about this update-able map

Sightings of T-Mobile 3G/4G/HSPA+ coverage on 1900MHz (PCS/UMTS band II)

If there's a place on there not already marked, mark it on the map!

Although the AT&T version of the 920 doesn't support 1700 and will only work on EDGE, I'm still gonna buy the 920 (hoping the international version will have pentaband support). I live near Los Angeles so I hope they'll expand on that refarming. T-mo's $30 montly 4G plan is pretty unbeatable in my opinion.
    Thanks for the link. I didn't realize how far behind T-Mobile was in re-farming those towers.
    10-13-2012 07:51 AM
    The advantage is, is that under Straight Talk, you will defect to reframed T-Mo towers and AT&T towers ONLY, such that you can still get your HSDPA/3G. Of course, if there's none of them around, only a non-reframed T-Mo tower, then you're stuck with EDGE. If you use T-Mo directly, as I plan to, you will have to hope the towers in range are reframed.
    I'm currently on AT&T right now, actually! Just to clarify:
    • I would be able to use 3G on AT&T/T-Mobile
    • I would not be able to use 4G on T-Mobile

But would I be able to use 4G on AT&T? Sorry, I'm totally ignorant about this stuff.
    10-13-2012 01:43 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD