Anyone know when T-Mobiles reframing will be complete?

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't want Samsung or HTC even though I'm liking the HTC.

One of the main reasons I want a WP is cuz of Nokia and their exclusive apps.

I don't like the 810's design, no super sensitive touch and no HD screen.

I would like to not switch to ATT.

So I want an unlocked international L920.

I know this has been a topic of discussion, but I need to make my financial plans.

Yang_H

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I would like to know the same thing too. I'm planning to go T-Mobile 4G $30/5GB plan once I have the 920. It'll be great that T-Mobile will be able to provide 3G at 1900(?) by the year end.

If I can buy a pentaband 920 at similar price that'll probably be the best option I guess.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I keep going back and forth on which Windows Phone 8 phone I want, but I'm with you. I've been searching online for unlocked international 920 models. Just sent a seller a question about the phones because I'm not at the point where I'm willing to just spend the money just yet (of course, I also want to know this seller is legit). I'm really anxious to get that 920 in yellow, though! Like you guys, I want to at least have 3G on my phone, though. I have an unlocked iPhone 4 I use on T-Mobile and can only get EDGE speeds when I'm out in an area that doesn't have Wi-Fi I can use. Gets old after awhile.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
For what it's worth, I believe the 810 does have the "super sensitive touch". I'm with you on the HD resolution though. If the 810 just offered that, that would be my next phone hands down.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
So if your outside a major market you go down to Edge?

Thats not reliable service.

Back to square one. Do I get the 810 or do I switch to ATT?

I wouldn't switch to AT&T, but that's just me... I was actually browsing their plans on their website last night. Seems like their cheapest is $59.99, but that's without text messaging and data. That plus the fact that their coverage may not be good in a particular area wouldn't be enough to convince me to switch. It very well might be worth just getting the 810 instead.

Still, you might want to wait a month or two after the 920 is released to see if you can snag an international model that has the WCDMA IV 1700 band, because that would be compatible with T-Mobile. There's also all this talk that the end of this year, we'll have LTE, but I'll believe it when I see it.

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't switch to AT&T, but that's just me... I was actually browsing their plans on their website last night. Seems like their cheapest is $59.99, but that's without text messaging and data. That plus the fact that their coverage may not be good in a particular area wouldn't be enough to convince me to switch. It very well might be worth just getting the 810 instead.

Still, you might want to wait a month or two after the 920 is released to see if you can snag an international model that has the WCDMA IV 1700 band, because that would be compatible with T-Mobile. There's also all this talk that the end of this year, we'll have LTE, but I'll believe it when I see it.

From what I understand LTE will be out next year. Not the end of this year. The refarming will be complete by the end of this year. Even so, it's just for major cities. It's not reliable service if your outside an area. By mid 2013 it should be totally complete.

If theres an INT version with the WCDMA IV 1700 band then perfect. Would solve all problems. However, no one knows.

I'm not a cheap guy. I can afford ATT's plans or Verizons, but it makes no sense to drop my $69.99 unlimited everything plan I have with T-Mobile.

I don't understand all the secrecy at all. I don't think it's fair to the consumers who want to budget and plan ahead.

I have the 710 and the speaker doesn't work anymore so I need a new phone asap. I really want a high end device.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
From what I understand LTE will be out next year. Not the end of this year. The refarming will be complete by the end of this year. Even so, it's just for major cities. It's not reliable service if your outside an area. By mid 2013 it should be totally complete.

If theres an INT version with the WCDMA IV 1700 band then perfect. Would solve all problems. However, no one knows.

I'm not a cheap guy. I can afford ATT's plans or Verizons, but it makes no sense to drop my $69.99 unlimited everything plan I have with T-Mobile.

I don't understand all the secrecy at all. I don't think it's fair to the consumers who want to budget and plan ahead.

I have the 710 and the speaker doesn't work anymore so I need a new phone asap. I really want a high end device.

I wonder if the quote below will answer your questions. I have also sourced the Nokia product page that I pulled the data from. Click the Hardware part on the page to open up the details.

Operating Frequency
Frequency bands

GSM 850
GSM 900
GSM 1800
GSM 1900
WCDMA Band V (850)
WCDMA Band VIII (900)
WCDMA Band IV (1700)
WCDMA Band II (1900)
WCDMA Band I (2100)
LTE 700
LTE 800
LTE 850
LTE 900
LTE 1700
LTE 1800
LTE 1900
LTE 2100
LTE 2600

Source: Nokia Lumia 920 Specifications - Nokia

Last edited:

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
...If theres an INT version with the WCDMA IV 1700 band then perfect. Would solve all problems. However, no one knows.

I'm not a cheap guy. I can afford ATT's plans or Verizons, but it makes no sense to drop my $69.99 unlimited everything plan I have with T-Mobile.....

From what I have seen on the Nokia site, I think the international version will have pentaband for 3G. It just makes sense. My Nokia N8 is pentaband and my wife's Nokia 808 has pentaband, but like you said, nobody knows for sure yet. The 1700 band is only used in the U.S., Canada and Chile.

I understand why you're sticking with T-Mobile, but what about an AT&T MNVO like Straight Talk?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
There's a new article up stating that the 1700 band included in the global site for the 920 is a mistake and that the phone won't be compatible with T-Mobile's 3G network after all. :(

FYI: The unlocked Lumia 920 does not support T-Mobile

I guess that settles it. Here's a list of all the MNVO's if anyone is interested. I think about MNVO's everytime I pay my AT&T bill :D :

List of United States mobile virtual network operators - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I guess that settles it. Here's a list of all the MNVO's if anyone is interested. I think about MNVO's everytime I pay my AT&T bill :D :

List of United States mobile virtual network operators - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even on any MVNO my WP8 would be incompatible. None support the UK LTE frequencies. My only option for US-UK compatibility would be iPhone5... Problem is this international compatibility will be a HUGE deal for me as I prepare to visit the US, but I want a WP as I find iOS stale...

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Well, now the question is.. do I switch to ATT?

Not like the 810 isn't a great phone. I just want a high end device with all the perks. Never had one.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Even on any MVNO my WP8 would be incompatible. None support the UK LTE frequencies. My only option for US-UK compatibility would be iPhone5... Problem is this international compatibility will be a HUGE deal for me as I prepare to visit the US, but I want a WP as I find iOS stale...

...but you have 3G as a backup. To honest, 3G is fast enough for me on a mobile phone. If I need anything faster i use my laptop and home internet.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
...but you have 3G as a backup. To honest, 3G is fast enough for me on a mobile phone. If I need anything faster i use my laptop and home internet.

Yeah that's true. And if it's anything like Three on a good day... it FLIES! I remember getting something like 10Mbit/s on it once... And this was with a WP too, with no 4G/LTE

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)