The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
10-13-2012 01:43 PM
31 12
tools
    I don't want Samsung or HTC even though I'm liking the HTC.

One of the main reasons I want a WP is cuz of Nokia and their exclusive apps.

I don't like the 810's design, no super sensitive touch and no HD screen.

I would like to not switch to ATT.

So I want an unlocked international L920.

I know this has been a topic of discussion, but I need to make my financial plans.
    metalchick719 likes this.
    10-11-2012 12:07 PM
    I would like to know the same thing too. I'm planning to go T-Mobile 4G $30/5GB plan once I have the 920. It'll be great that T-Mobile will be able to provide 3G at 1900(?) by the year end.

If I can buy a pentaband 920 at similar price that'll probably be the best option I guess.
    10-11-2012 12:20 PM
    I keep going back and forth on which Windows Phone 8 phone I want, but I'm with you. I've been searching online for unlocked international 920 models. Just sent a seller a question about the phones because I'm not at the point where I'm willing to just spend the money just yet (of course, I also want to know this seller is legit). I'm really anxious to get that 920 in yellow, though! Like you guys, I want to at least have 3G on my phone, though. I have an unlocked iPhone 4 I use on T-Mobile and can only get EDGE speeds when I'm out in an area that doesn't have Wi-Fi I can use. Gets old after awhile.
    10-11-2012 12:38 PM
    For what it's worth, I believe the 810 does have the "super sensitive touch". I'm with you on the HD resolution though. If the 810 just offered that, that would be my next phone hands down.
    10-11-2012 03:56 PM
    Will be complete across major markets by the end of 2012 and in other markets by mid 2013.
    10-11-2012 08:29 PM
    I would like off contract prices of all upcoming WP 8 phones.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
    10-11-2012 08:33 PM
    Will be complete across major markets by the end of 2012 and in other markets by mid 2013.
    So if your outside a major market you go down to Edge?

Thats not reliable service.

Back to square one. Do I get the 810 or do I switch to ATT?
    10-12-2012 02:04 AM
    So if your outside a major market you go down to Edge?

Thats not reliable service.

Back to square one. Do I get the 810 or do I switch to ATT?
    I wouldn't switch to AT&T, but that's just me... I was actually browsing their plans on their website last night. Seems like their cheapest is $59.99, but that's without text messaging and data. That plus the fact that their coverage may not be good in a particular area wouldn't be enough to convince me to switch. It very well might be worth just getting the 810 instead.

Still, you might want to wait a month or two after the 920 is released to see if you can snag an international model that has the WCDMA IV 1700 band, because that would be compatible with T-Mobile. There's also all this talk that the end of this year, we'll have LTE, but I'll believe it when I see it.
    10-12-2012 09:30 AM
    I wouldn't switch to AT&T, but that's just me... I was actually browsing their plans on their website last night. Seems like their cheapest is $59.99, but that's without text messaging and data. That plus the fact that their coverage may not be good in a particular area wouldn't be enough to convince me to switch. It very well might be worth just getting the 810 instead.

Still, you might want to wait a month or two after the 920 is released to see if you can snag an international model that has the WCDMA IV 1700 band, because that would be compatible with T-Mobile. There's also all this talk that the end of this year, we'll have LTE, but I'll believe it when I see it.
    From what I understand LTE will be out next year. Not the end of this year. The refarming will be complete by the end of this year. Even so, it's just for major cities. It's not reliable service if your outside an area. By mid 2013 it should be totally complete.

If theres an INT version with the WCDMA IV 1700 band then perfect. Would solve all problems. However, no one knows.

I'm not a cheap guy. I can afford ATT's plans or Verizons, but it makes no sense to drop my $69.99 unlimited everything plan I have with T-Mobile.

I don't understand all the secrecy at all. I don't think it's fair to the consumers who want to budget and plan ahead.

I have the 710 and the speaker doesn't work anymore so I need a new phone asap. I really want a high end device.
    metalchick719 and palandri like this.
    10-12-2012 12:48 PM
    From what I understand LTE will be out next year. Not the end of this year. The refarming will be complete by the end of this year. Even so, it's just for major cities. It's not reliable service if your outside an area. By mid 2013 it should be totally complete.

If theres an INT version with the WCDMA IV 1700 band then perfect. Would solve all problems. However, no one knows.

I'm not a cheap guy. I can afford ATT's plans or Verizons, but it makes no sense to drop my $69.99 unlimited everything plan I have with T-Mobile.

I don't understand all the secrecy at all. I don't think it's fair to the consumers who want to budget and plan ahead.

I have the 710 and the speaker doesn't work anymore so I need a new phone asap. I really want a high end device.
    I wonder if the quote below will answer your questions. I have also sourced the Nokia product page that I pulled the data from. Click the Hardware part on the page to open up the details.

Operating Frequency
    Frequency bands

GSM 850
    GSM 900
    GSM 1800
    GSM 1900
    WCDMA Band V (850)
    WCDMA Band VIII (900)
    WCDMA Band IV (1700)
    WCDMA Band II (1900)
    WCDMA Band I (2100)
    LTE 700
    LTE 800
    LTE 850
    LTE 900
    LTE 1700
    LTE 1800
    LTE 1900
    LTE 2100
    LTE 2600
    Source: Nokia Lumia 920 Specifications - Nokia
    Last edited by paladinleeds; 10-12-2012 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Corrected source link
    10-12-2012 01:01 PM
    The Lumia 920 is the one of interest, though: Nokia Lumia 920 Specifications - Nokia
    palandri and Daniel Ratcliffe like this.
    10-12-2012 01:05 PM
    ...If theres an INT version with the WCDMA IV 1700 band then perfect. Would solve all problems. However, no one knows.

I'm not a cheap guy. I can afford ATT's plans or Verizons, but it makes no sense to drop my $69.99 unlimited everything plan I have with T-Mobile.....

From what I have seen on the Nokia site, I think the international version will have pentaband for 3G. It just makes sense. My Nokia N8 is pentaband and my wife's Nokia 808 has pentaband, but like you said, nobody knows for sure yet. The 1700 band is only used in the U.S., Canada and Chile.

I understand why you're sticking with T-Mobile, but what about an AT&T MNVO like Straight Talk?
    10-12-2012 01:29 PM
    There's a new article up stating that the 1700 band included in the global site for the 920 is a mistake and that the phone won't be compatible with T-Mobile's 3G network after all. :(

http://www.windowscentral.com/unlock...obile-1700-aws
    Last edited by palandri; 10-12-2012 at 01:38 PM. Reason: added link
    10-12-2012 01:32 PM
    The Lumia 920 is the one of interest, though: Nokia Lumia 920 Specifications - Nokia
    Good call! I had the 820 one open on FireFox (I keep it open because I want the 820 myself) so instinctively copy-pasted it without realising it was the wrong one!
    metalchick719 likes this.
    10-12-2012 01:32 PM
    There's a new article up stating that the 1700 band included in the global site for the 920 is a mistake and that the phone won't be compatible with T-Mobile's 3G network after all. :(

FYI: The unlocked Lumia 920 does not support T-Mobile

I guess that settles it. Here's a list of all the MNVO's if anyone is interested. I think about MNVO's everytime I pay my AT&T bill :D :

List of United States mobile virtual network operators - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    10-12-2012 01:44 PM
    I guess that settles it. Here's a list of all the MNVO's if anyone is interested. I think about MNVO's everytime I pay my AT&T bill :D :

List of United States mobile virtual network operators - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Even on any MVNO my WP8 would be incompatible. None support the UK LTE frequencies. My only option for US-UK compatibility would be iPhone5... Problem is this international compatibility will be a HUGE deal for me as I prepare to visit the US, but I want a WP as I find iOS stale...
    10-12-2012 02:11 PM
    Well, now the question is.. do I switch to ATT?

Not like the 810 isn't a great phone. I just want a high end device with all the perks. Never had one.
    palandri likes this.
    10-12-2012 02:13 PM
    Even on any MVNO my WP8 would be incompatible. None support the UK LTE frequencies. My only option for US-UK compatibility would be iPhone5... Problem is this international compatibility will be a HUGE deal for me as I prepare to visit the US, but I want a WP as I find iOS stale...
    ...but you have 3G as a backup. To honest, 3G is fast enough for me on a mobile phone. If I need anything faster i use my laptop and home internet.
    10-12-2012 02:26 PM
    ...but you have 3G as a backup. To honest, 3G is fast enough for me on a mobile phone. If I need anything faster i use my laptop and home internet.
    Yeah that's true. And if it's anything like Three on a good day... it FLIES! I remember getting something like 10Mbit/s on it once... And this was with a WP too, with no 4G/LTE
    palandri likes this.
    10-12-2012 02:29 PM
    Yeah that's true. And if it's anything like Three on a good day... it FLIES! I remember getting something like 10Mbit/s on it once... And this was with a WP too, with no 4G/LTE
    Where are you going to in the states?
    10-12-2012 02:32 PM
    Where are you going to in the states?
    I'll be in the Minnesota area, got a lass there I want to visit. This is a girlfriend to be, who unfortunately is a mega Sony fan, has a PSP, wants PS Vita, will probably want PS3 too, so we can consider her lost to Android if she ever gets a smartphone. As for me, I help pay the wages of Microsoft employees :D Although wouldn't mind also visiting some of the Six Flags parks. And Florida is where my grandparents go, so would probably be based there then just adventure out to those other places.
    10-12-2012 02:38 PM

Not like the 810 isn't a great phone. I just want a high end device with all the perks. Never had one.
    If you've never had a high end device with all the perks, it's about time you get one! :D
    10-12-2012 02:39 PM

I guess it depends on what your priorities are. If you have the money to spend and don't mind possibly having subpar service (depending on where you are, of course) because you're that set on getting the 920, then go for it. Or you can wait it out a bit and see if something might change soon. In any case, you definitely have some thinking to do.

I do understand your feeling of wanting a high end device, though. That's exactly why I got an iPhone 4. I really would love a 920 as well, but I don't want to deal with EDGE speeds again whenever I'm out of the house and away from Wi-Fi.
    10-12-2012 02:48 PM
    I asked on the TMo article linked in this thread, but didn't really get a response. After some research I only have more questions. If/when I buy the 920, I plan on sticking with TMobile. ATT is way too expensive for what they provide.

1. The article says current 1700MHz HSPA+ won't be supported. Does that mean I get normal 3G, or ONLY EDGE speed?

2. Has the Denver area of CO been refarmed yet?

3. Is it fair to assume that the total refarming will be complete by 1Q 2013 as previously promised by TMo?
    10-12-2012 02:58 PM
    I asked on the TMo article linked in this thread, but didn't really get a response. After some research I only have more questions. If/when I buy the 920, I plan on sticking with TMobile. ATT is way too expensive for what they provide.

1. The article says current 1700MHz HSPA+ won't be supported. Does that mean I get normal 3G, or ONLY EDGE speed?

2. Has the Denver area of CO been refarmed yet?

3. Is it fair to assume that the total refarming will be complete by 1Q 2013 as previously promised by TMo?
    You need all bands supported for a particular generation to work. As we're missing one of the T-Mo 3G bands, 3G won't work full stop unless on the reframed part of their spectrum. So yes unless reframed you're looking at EDGE only. As for 2 & 3, that I will leave to someone better advised.
    10-12-2012 03:11 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD