Build Quality of the phone.

AnIrudha

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Guys, what can you say about the build quality of the phone. I had seen posts about Lumia 900 screen problems, but frnakly it was poor thought out phone. How was Lumia 800's build quality.

I am planning on buying 920, but Nokia doesn't provide global warranty. And I know it is going to be real expensive in my country(planning to buy it from US). If it has any manufacturing defects I'll be screwed. Though generally Nokia doesn't have this problem, but I had read that even the Lumia 800 had some serious problems.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I own both N9 and Lumia 800, both since release. It's one solid piece especially with that glass that curves/melts to the sides and top, bottom. Other my iPhone 4S i haven't held gadget that feels as solid. N9/800 almost scratch proof thanks to that poly build and color that goes through the material. never used any protection for both of the phones.

Weak point on all of the N9 designs has been the camera strip that gets instant scratches. Something that should be hopefully fixed with the new, black ceramic buttons and camera strip. Another problem i remember back in N9 days was that the curved glass was not properly glued for some, so the sides where not flush with rest of the body. Though haven't really heard about that on Lumia 800 anymore.

AnIrudha

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I live in India, and if you know, Nokia is pretty big over here. Maybe bigger than anywhere else(after Finland), and I haven't seen such problems with Nokia phones.
But I lost a x10 (SE) to this kind of thing, and being a student, this is a pretty big investment for me. Still if any problems exist, they will come up after the release.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Guys, what can you say about the build quality of the phone. I had seen posts about Lumia 900 screen problems, but frnakly it was poor thought out phone. How was Lumia 800's build quality.

I am planning on buying 920, but Nokia doesn't provide global warranty. And I know it is going to be real expensive in my country(planning to buy it from US). If it has any manufacturing defects I'll be screwed. Though generally Nokia doesn't have this problem, but I had read that even the Lumia 800 had some serious problems.

What screen problems? I hope you're not referring to the purple keyboard tint. That was fixed via a software update a long time ago. The only major hardware complaint I see from the 900 is that the chrome bezel around the camera scratches easily (a problem Nokia fixed with the 920). Otherwise the 900 is built like a rock.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Also, if you buy a 920 from the states, make sure you can unlock it. The 900 was locked to AT&T for the first 6 months with no unlock code available.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
What screen problems? I hope you're not referring to the purple keyboard tint. That was fixed via a software update a long time ago. The only major hardware complaint I see from the 900 is that the chrome bezel around the camera scratches easily (a problem Nokia fixed with the 920). Otherwise the 900 is built like a rock.

Another thing to point out that the purple keyboard problem was indeed software problem and fixed, but that purple haze problem is usually AMOLED screen problem.
PureMotion HD+ on Lumia 920 is LCD.

Heard about that high end Nokia's being expensive in India before. Though just remember that the USA version is likely locked to carrier and also has different supported frequencies compared to the global version.
I have understood that some people in India order around Asia for the high end Nokia's? Might be better option as there wont be shortage of unlocked Lumia's and you get the global version.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I have understood that some people in India order around Asia for the high end Nokia's? Might be better option as there wont be shortage of unlocked Lumia's and you get the global version.

On average, smartphone prices are lowest in China. You might also want to check prices of Nokia's products in Brazil.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss