UK preorders

TrentTech

May 15, 2011
Visit site
The article on Neowin was written with information from Nokia and EE. Pretty definitive for me.

Just like EE definitively told CNET that it will work on T-Mobile & Orange sims, which Nokia has also been tweeting all week?

The confusion is that EE is the 4G brand and it's the company which owns the T-Mobile, Orange and EE brands in the UK. EE is not EE, just like T-Mobile is not EE (as @EE on Twitter rudely informed me) but it is EE (as T-Mobile have been telling us since the announcement of 4GEE) and so on. It seems that it is exclusive to EE, but it works on T-Mobile & Orange sims because EE's network is the unified T-Mobile & Orange network which customers have been using for most of the year.

Phones4u are advertising and selling it for TMobile & Orange contracts in stores and their support staff have had firm confirmation that this is correct. If they are wrong then they're liable to be sued for false advertising.

EDIT: Actually that wasn't the NeoWin article I thought it was. I assumed it was one declaring EE told them it wasn't available on any other provider ever, but was actually one agreeing with what I was saying:
How much will the Lumia 920 cost on a 3G tariff?
Customers on Orange will be able to purchase the device for ?49.99 upfront on the Panther Extra plan at ?36 per month; T-Mobile customers can get one for ?49.00 upfront on the ?36pm Full Monty tariff. T-Mobile’s Full Monty tariff also include unlimited data. Other price plans are available on both carriers; upfront device charges may vary.

Last edited:

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Just been into an EE store, they said they will "hopefully" be getting their 920 stock in tomorrow, but no guarantees. They also didn't know which colour(s) they'll be getting. They gave me their store number, so I'll be ringing them up every half an hour starting from 9am tomorrow :p They said they usually get their deliveries around midday.

Disappointing story: Also went to a Phones4U store and asked about the 920...they said "surely you want a better phone?!" to which I said, jokingly, "is there one?" and he replied with "Yeah, Samsung Galaxy S3 innit." I then proceeded to spend a few minutes extricating myself from the two salesmen hovering around me asking if I was really sure I didn't want to try a SGS3 "or any other better phones".

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
My next hope (if the Phones4U stock really isn't SIM free) is that someone like Expansys will do as they do and just bring versions in from other EU countries...

anon(5354452)

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
According to the Neowin article mentioned above, Amazon should be stocking the new WP8 handsets at some point. I asked the customer support live chat people if they knew when but they're clueless at this point.

It seems we either have to settle for an 820, be bound to a locked phone until January or try to find a sneaky way to get an unlocked phone.

Well played, EE.

Edit: Rereading that article I can't find the bit where it mentions Amazon. Wishful thinking, eh?
Haha probably. This is what Amazon said to me when I inquired about the Nokia Lumia 920 on the 25th of October. Now with the information we have I doubt we'll see anything until 2013 with regards to SIM free and unlocked handsets.

Just like EE definitively told CNET that it will work on T-Mobile & Orange sims, which Nokia has also been tweeting all week?
Not sure what you mean? The Neowin article if you read it says the exact same thing. I was merely responding to you, saying you trust Phones4u over an article on a news site, like Neowin. Neowin got their information from the source was my point, nothing else.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
If we are going to be able to buy a 3G version directly from Orange or T-Mobile shops presumably the phones would still work with 4G? I'm wondering if you could purchase a phone from one of those shops and get them to unlock it for you, presumably at a price.

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
If we are going to be able to buy a 3G version directly from Orange or T-Mobile shops presumably the phones would still work with 4G? I'm wondering if you could purchase a phone from one of those shops and get them to unlock it for you, presumably at a price.

There is no such thing as a 3G version of the Lumia 920- they are all equipped with 4G, the only difference is the tariff you are on and the fact that you won't be allowed onto the 4G network.

In an ideal world you could indeed buy one and get it unlocked, but the networks will normally try anything to stop you from doing so...it looks like EE will go even further and totally buy-off the manufacturer...

hovesteve

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Just got a call from EE. They have processed my order and 'hopefully' my 920 will be delivered with 10 days. Then I'll find out if my Orange sim works in it!

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Phone4U are now taking pre-orders and you get a free wireless charging plate & Nokia 360 wireless speaker. But they only do 24 month contracts with EE.

Jammo

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Phone4U are now taking pre-orders and you get a free wireless charging plate & Nokia 360 wireless speaker. But they only do 24 month contracts with EE.

That is terrible removing the 12 month contracts, 2 years is way too long to sign up for any phone. Think i will stick with the EE 12 month plan and free charger.

Also noticed on phones4u the dispatch date has been put back to the 19th. If you do order with them don't forget the seventy something pounds via topcashback.

jenjen4u

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey people, i rang up 2 phones4u stores in London

The one at Stratford Westfield Does not know when they will receive stock

The one near Bond Street Station said they will have stock on Monday and that the they will be available "sim-free" but i forgot to ask if they will be unlocked coz i always took for granted that "sim-free" also meant unlocked. But by the sounds of it im starting to doubt there will be an unlocked Lumia 920 for the time being.

UPDATE: I rang up another phones4u store in london and i asked about the lumia 920 being "unlocked" and he said all our sim-free stock are unlocked! I HOPE THIS IS TRUE >_<

Last edited:

hovesteve

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Just noticed on the EE website. They have removed the white 920 completely. Also they have added a comment on black 920 saying 'allow 14 days for delivery' ::-((

kuroneko0509

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

The one near Bond Street Station said they will have stock on Monday and that the they will be available "sim-free" but i forgot to ask if they will be unlocked coz i always took for granted that "sim-free" also meant unlocked. But by the sounds of it im starting to doubt there will be an unlocked Lumia 920 for the time being.

UPDATE: I rang up another phones4u store in london and i asked about the lumia 920 being "unlocked" and he said all our sim-free stock are unlocked! I HOPE THIS IS TRUE >_<

I guess time to go to the store again tomorrow :p

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

He's wrong as has been confirmed multiple times by EE, nokia and phones4u - I suspect he is confused because until now sim free has always meant "unlocked"

jenjen4u

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
He's wrong as has been confirmed multiple times by EE, nokia and phones4u - I suspect he is confused because until now sim free has always meant "unlocked"
I know i didnt get my hopes up when he said that, but it would be the sweetest surprise if somehow "sim free" still means "unlocked". How can they be advertising it as "sim free" then? this shouldnt be allowed its false advertising surely? In all other shops ive been to so far "sim free" means you can use any network sim.

The thing is i wouldnt mind going with EE but they only offer black and white... whats up with that? we dont have much choice do we 1st exclusive carrier and now exclusivity colours. I know i can just go phones4u but im already with orange and i explained to phones4u im entitled to Loyalty discount still even if i join EE but they doubted me, eventhough it states on the EE site i can still get a Loyalty dicount.

Vayrie

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I know i didnt get my hopes up when he said that, but it would be the sweetest surprise if somehow "sim free" still means "unlocked". How can they be advertising it as "sim free" then? this shouldnt be allowed its false advertising surely? In all other shops ive been to so far "sim free" means you can use any network sim.

The thing is i wouldnt mind going with EE but they only offer black and white... whats up with that? we dont have much choice do we 1st exclusive carrier and now exclusivity colours. I know i can just go phones4u but im already with orange and i explained to phones4u im entitled to Loyalty discount still even if i join EE but they doubted me, eventhough it states on the EE site i can still get a Loyalty dicount.

I've always thought SIM free just meant the device didn't come bundled with a SIM card.

jenjen4u

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I've always thought SIM free just meant the device didn't come bundled with a SIM card.
Im not to sure what it means anymore LOL from past experience "Sim free" didnt just mean without sim it also meant your handset wasnt locked to any particular network. I use to buy "sim free" phones every year from Duty Free shop when i would have a stopover at Dubai airport. Hopefully next week digital-phone.co.uk will come back with good news of having stock!

The more i think about this it really doesnt make sense to say something is Sim Free but locked on certain network its a contradiction... and it just wouldnt even make sense for you to pay ?460 for a device that is locked to only one network

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel