Lumia 920, Retina screen?

rookoo

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
What is really Retina screen? 1280 X 768 pixels on Lumia 920 4.5" screen, it is called retina screen? I know it has a higher PPI than iPhone 4. It is said that Any screen resolution with a pixel density high enough so the human eye cannot distinguish individual pixels can be called Retina screen. Samely some people said that is a technique Apple own to combinate with screen ppi above 300. There is a formula to help you to work out this: attached

It is a higher ppi figure that lumia 920 get, higher than iPhone 4 retina screen.

I see another claimed with a retina screen like the new iPad, 2048 x 1536 pixels on 9.7" screen. This is can be called Retina? And same with lumia 920, it can be called retina?

Last edited by a moderator:

txaggies07

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Retina is a marketing term from Apple. The screen should be better in most every way than the iPhone screen. DPI is only part of what makes a good display. I would spend much less time focusing on "retina" than you are.

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Retina was introduced as a magical DPI which produces an image where the human eye cannot distinguish pixels. Of course, that depends on the viewing distance... not sure what viewing distance they were assuming.

with that said, apple is a marketing god, retina is a term invented by them.

most phones have a screen with an equal pixel density, including the lumia. No one else would call it "retina" though. Like a Honda having vtec, everyone has variable timing of some variety, but only honda calls it vtec.

As retina refers to whatever apple decided is enough PPI at the proper distance, the ipad and macbook can also have retina displays, but the dpi being equal means higher absolute resolution on a larger screen.

debatable at what point retina stops to matter... you dont generally hold a laptop as close to your face as a phone or even tablet. Then theres the issue that computer aps are not designed for such resolutions, so its really just being scaled up. Not quite the same as apps that were redesigned for the singular iphone and ipad resolutions.

maybe eventually computer apps will get a similair treatment.

firewall2302

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Retina was introduced as a magical DPI which produces an image where the human eye cannot distinguish pixels. Of course, that depends on the viewing distance... not sure what viewing distance they were assuming.

It's not even consistent. On an iPhone 4/4s/5 it's 326 PPI but on an iPad 3rd Gen it works out to 264 PPI...

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
What is really Retina screen? 1280 X 768 pixels on Lumia 920 4.5" screen, it is called retina screen? I know it has a higher PPI than iPhone 4. It is said that Any screen resolution with a pixel density high enough so the human eye cannot distinguish individual pixels can be called Retina screen. Samely some people said that is a technique Apple own to combinate with screen ppi above 300. There is a formula to help you to work out this: attached

It is a higher ppi figure that lumia 920 get, higher than iPhone 4 retina screen.

I see another claimed with a retina screen like the new iPad, 2048 x 1536 pixels on 9.7" screen. This is can be called Retina? And same with lumia 920, it can be called retina?

It's not even consistent. On an iPhone 4/4s/5 it's 326 PPI but on an iPad 3rd Gen it works out to 264 PPI...

yeah, thats why its specificly a display in which the eye cannot distinguish pixels. So it would seem that the viewing distance of an ipad is considered to be farther than an iphone. the notion of it being indistinguishable is a bit of a fluffy term anyway... means different things to different people with different eyes and different imaginations.

EvanKr

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Retina is a marketing term used by Apple. It was oringnaly used to market the iPhone 4 back in 2010, when it was released with a pixel density of 326 PPI (pixels per inch). Apple then went on by saying some crap on how "the human eye can't discern individual pixels after a display surpasses 300 PPI", and how "a Retina display is anything over 300 PPI". Well, I've had the privilege to try one of Sharp's new 5" 1080p displays, and let me tell you, from a foot away you can DEFINITELY see an improvement over 720p. Mark my words, in a few years Apple will be releasing even higher resolution displays, ignoring what they said a few years ago. Also, don't listen to Apple about Retina being "over 300 PPI", when they realized that it'd take a $#!t load of pixels to make an iPad or laptop display over 300 PPI, they dropped that qualification and now just call Retina displays "high res displays", there's no more PPI requirement.

Anyways, the Lumia 900's display does have a higher pixel density than the iPhone, and overall it is a much better display. Don't listen to all the marketing crap, just go into a store and see for yourself and decide which device's display in your opinion looks the best.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
isn't Nokia's term of retina display, Puremotion HD+ display?

PureMotion HD+ is combination of faster response time than other mobile screens at 60Hz (PureMotion) and that 1280x768 331ppi screen (HD+).

You could of course add that it also got Clear Black screen and some sunlight readability magic.
Nokia explains why Lumia 920 is superior in direct sunlight, more to come | nokiagadgets.com

Can't wait to see that screen live. I have 808 PureView so to me the highlight of 920 is actually this screen and WP8.

mcphersc

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
HAHA I love this topic. 920's display should in theory be quite a lot better than the "Retina display". Higher res and more PPI sounds like a winner to me. Honestly I can't wait because my eyes are tired of looking at my crappy WVGA/boring Trophy display.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
....Anyways, the Lumia 900's display does have a higher pixel density than the iPhone, and overall it is a much better display. Don't listen to all the marketing crap, just go into a store and see for yourself and decide which device's display in your opinion looks the best.

What he said.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos