BGR: 920 Launching November 11th

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Again, knowing that an iPad mini is coming is not the same as knowing that THE iPad mini is imminent.

Using this logic, we should feel even angrier about Nokia because we knew a WP8 Nokia was coming from the moment WP8 was announced.

The start point is the official announcement because that's when you have a GUARANTEED product that actually exists. Nokia got everybody excited, killed a lot of it by having no details due to the software being unfinished, and have watch the rest drip away as iPad Mini, iPad 4, iPhone 5, Galaxy Note II, Kindle Fire HD, etc., etc. all made it to market before the 920 or ANY Windows Phone 8 handset for that matter made it to market.

Almost all of those devices had a shorter announcement-to-retail-shelves time than the Lumia 920. Actually, thanks to the Lumia being pushed back a week, they actually DID all have a shorter time!

Even the Galaxy Note II (announced August 29th, onsale in the UK 30 days later, onsale in the US 55 days later).

Blame the iPhone 5. They needed to announce it before the iPhone 5. Period.

I guarantee you there are people out there that were thinking of jumping on the iPhone 5 but heard about the 920 and decided to wait. I know this for a fact, because I am one of those people.

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Blame the iPhone 5. They needed to announce it before the iPhone 5. Period.

I guarantee you there are people out there that were thinking of jumping on the iPhone 5 but heard about the 920 and decided to wait. I know this for a fact, because I am one of those people.

That's great anecdotal evidence and everything, but the iPhone 5 is the fastest-selling iPhone 5 and the 16GB is still supply-constrained and shipping late several weeks later. It's fair to say that for every person who fits your scenario above, several people were drawn to the iPhone 5 and the Apple ecosystem anyway.

Conversely, Lumia sales have plummeted as people are waiting, waiting, waiting or...not interested at all and moving to/happily on other platforms.

Early announcement with no launch details doesn't alleviate EITHER of these problems. Early announcement without being able to show software and hand-ons doesn't help either.

It does, however, contribute to the impression that this is a botched, drawn out launch.

Xsever

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
All deep analysis inside. Come on. We all have a feeling deep down that "this is taking too much time" "they over-did it"

mcphersc

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I think the launch of Windows phone 8 has suffered for a variety of reasons, but if you think about it Surface launch has gone off pretty slick today. I just checked out Time Square store and I was really impressed with the enthusiasm people in line had and the "Wow" factor that store is creating.

Maybe it comes down to the difference between producing your own hardware and having multiple involved parties (carrier, OEM, Microsoft, etc). I think that's the reason Apple has always been able to announce a product and launch in 1-2 weeks. Surface announcement this summer was really just to announce its presence and I have to say I have been really impressed with the Windows 8 and Surface roll out this week.

If only they could've gotten the phones right :(

chriscookz

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it comes down to the difference between producing your own hardware and having multiple involved parties (carrier, OEM, Microsoft, etc). I think that's the reason Apple has always been able to announce a product and launch in 1-2 weeks.

I think that's an enormous part of it. What's stopping MS from designing and producing hardware, loading their own software on it, and selling it in their own stores? No one. Apple has essentially the same position because they are big enough to bully around AT&T. As far as phones go, however, MS has to rely on OEMs to get their hardware right, and then OEMs and carriers to test and approve the device, as well as train all of their sales staff about it. It's a much longer and more painstaking process.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
From what I've been hearing since September 7 (the date I tweeted that the Lumia would most likely be out AFTER Nov. 4), part of the reason the launch date was set closer to mid than early November was that Nokia wanted room for some buzz to be sustained. They felt that the first week of November was still a little too close to the Surface launch and they did not want to have to compete.

rkgriffin

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Ouch, I bought a Lumia 900 on Oct 5th knowing I could return it at 30 days and get the 920. Now I will have to return it and possibly go without a phone for a week!

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Ouch, I bought a Lumia 900 on Oct 5th knowing I could return it at 30 days and get the 920. Now I will have to return it and possibly go without a phone for a week!

Depending on how much you paid for it, you may be able to keep it until you get a Lumia 920 and recoup almost all of your money by selling it.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I think the launch of Windows phone 8 has suffered for a variety of reasons, but if you think about it Surface launch has gone off pretty slick today. I just checked out Time Square store and I was really impressed with the enthusiasm people in line had and the "Wow" factor that store is creating.

Maybe it comes down to the difference between producing your own hardware and having multiple involved parties (carrier, OEM, Microsoft, etc). I think that's the reason Apple has always been able to announce a product and launch in 1-2 weeks. Surface announcement this summer was really just to announce its presence and I have to say I have been really impressed with the Windows 8 and Surface roll out this week.

If only they could've gotten the phones right :(

I think ultimately it comes down to priorities. I know that MS is a huge company with a ton of money, but to pull off a launch of 2 brand new Operating Systems (Windows 8 and RT) as well as launch your first tablet AND launch a brand new phone OS is nearly impossible.

I will criticize MS for their roadmap of announcements until I'm blue in the face, but I don't think that making their own phone would have had WP8 out this week. I would be real interested in finding out why phones were announced in September, the OS will be 'released' on Monday, yet we might have to wait another week or 2 before phones hit the market.

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I hate this mentality. You say this as if we didn't basically know everything about the iPad mini months before it actually released. Just because Apple didn't FORMALLY announce it until the day it could be bought, doesn't mean people weren't waiting for it.

I hate incorrect comparisons. Nokia formally announced the 920 long ago as a WP8 device. And since that time, there was no speculation as to whether the 920 existed. It exists. We have known that for some time now. Yes, people speculated long about the iPad mini. But I am not talking about the speculation period. I am talking about the formal introduction of a device and the date till pre-order/order.

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
That's great anecdotal evidence and everything, but the iPhone 5 is the fastest-selling iPhone 5 and the 16GB is still supply-constrained and shipping late several weeks later. It's fair to say that for every person who fits your scenario above, several people were drawn to the iPhone 5 and the Apple ecosystem anyway.

Conversely, Lumia sales have plummeted as people are waiting, waiting, waiting or...not interested at all and moving to/happily on other platforms.

Early announcement with no launch details doesn't alleviate EITHER of these problems. Early announcement without being able to show software and hand-ons doesn't help either.

It does, however, contribute to the impression that this is a botched, drawn out launch.

That is besides the point. The iPhone was always going to sell out, there were always people who ONLY wanted an iPhone. The early announcement was not intended to dramatically change Apple's sales. However, the fact is that there will have been quite a lot of people who have held off on buying an iPhone and instead will be buying/waiting for the L920. Whilst those lost sales don't affect Apple so much, it does make a difference for Nokia/Microsoft with their low market share.

WP8 is a big deal for Nokia/Microsoft, they'll want as many early adopters as possible so sacrificing sales of older Lumia devices is a worthwhile thing to do because let's face it, WP7 is a dead end.

Last edited:

Silly Putty

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
That is besides the point. The iPhone was always going to sell out, there were always people who ONLY wanted an iPhone. The early announcement was not intended to dramatically change Apple's sales. However, the fact is that there will have been quite a lot of people who have held off on buying an iPhone and instead will be buying/waiting for the L920. Whilst those lost sales don't affect Apple so much, it does make a difference for Nokia/Microsoft with their low market share.

WP8 is a big deal for Nokia/Microsoft, they'll want as many early adopters as possible so sacrificing sales of older Lumia devices is a worthwhile thing to do because let's face it, WP7 is a dead end.

Yeah... Such a big deal that they effectively limit said amount of early adopters by entering into ridiculous exclusive agreements.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, at least we have a date. Although its a bit embarrassing that Apple can come in, announce a new product (iPad mini) and have it released all within a few weeks while the Lumia 920 was announced months ago and will be released well after the iPad mini......

Apple controls the software, the OS, production and the distribution chain. They also don't announce products months before they are going to be available. That is why they seem to have such a seamless product rollout process.

When you have an extremely efficient and high capacity production capability you can have millions of devices at the ready. When you make your own OS, you can decide exactly when to release a product, you don't have to wait on anyone else to get this or that feature ready or deal with their launch dates. When you have your own stores you don't have to deal with other people's timetables either.

It's not just Nokia, nobody else can really match Apple when it comes to this stuff either.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... Such a big deal that they effectively limit said amount of early adopters by entering into ridiculous exclusive agreements.

The iPhone was exclusive to AT&T for 2 YEARS.

You can't wait 6 months? This very website confirmed the exclusive is only 6 months thanks to inside info from AT&T employees.

Quit crying about this already people. You act like it's the freaking apocalypse. :straight:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)