10-31-2012 11:14 AM
82 1234
tools
    I think a lot of the delay is due to sales training. MS and their manufacturers want to make sure that the sales people are at least somewhat familiar with the OS and its features. They couldn't train them because they wanted to keep the features a secret (even though nothing new was announced today). Therefore, even though the OS has been available to manufacturers and is released today the training won't actually start for a few days which means a launch this week is not probable.

I think that is why it is launching internationally first where it appears (from my limited perspective) that less focus is put on the carriers' sales people. I think it would have made sense for it to be 'available immediately' online, and then in stores a week later when people have been trained.
    10-29-2012 03:16 PM
    I think a lot of the delay is due to sales training. MS and their manufacturers want to make sure that the sales people are at least somewhat familiar with the OS and its features. They couldn't train them because they wanted to keep the features a secret (even though nothing new was announced today). Therefore, even though the OS has been available to manufacturers and is released today the training won't actually start for a few days which means a launch this week is not probable.

I think that is why it is launching internationally first where it appears (from my limited perspective) that less focus is put on the carriers' sales people. I think it would have made sense for it to be 'available immediately' online, and then in stores a week later when people have been trained.
    How was Verizon able to train their personnel then?
    and...
    Why didnt ATT announce before the event also...like the other carriers who both are offering Nokia devices?

EDIT: i get it - be patient - but come on... they want it exclusive, so give it to people already.
    10-29-2012 03:32 PM
    How was Verizon able to train their personnel then?
    and...
    Why didnt ATT announce before the event also...like the other carriers who both are offering Nokia devices?

EDIT: i get it - be patient - but come on... they want it exclusive, so give it to people already.
    From what I read on the Verge is that the release dates are still mid/late November. I would view that as Verizon and AT&T having different strategies, announce early and make people wait versus make people wait for an announcement but say 'available next week.'
    10-29-2012 03:37 PM
    Once again. Believe me when I tell you this. BE PATIENT. The day is young.
    The day's not getting any younger ;)
    10-29-2012 03:45 PM
    We can sit here and analyse everything and try to defend why there are delays and so on, but the point here is that if you want your product to be successful, you have to make sure not only to have a good software/hardware you have to have a great marketing strategy. So far between Microsoft, Nokia, and AT&T it has been a big pile of mess once again. I would thing that companies learn from their past failures. No matter who is the OEM, and who is the re-seller here, they all need to properly coordinate such big and important events. All the training needs to take place prior to the announcement. They need to coordinate the release date, the pricing and so on before the big event. This is the only way you can hope for a successful product sales!
    leo74 likes this.
    10-29-2012 03:56 PM
    ROGERS in Canada releases the Lumia 920 tomorrow. Isn't that the same/sister company of AT&T? I think this is a good sign that it's coming very very soon to the U.S. (as in this week).
    10-29-2012 04:02 PM

I stopped in my AT&T store on Sunday just to ask around and they sales guy there told me they had been through some videos "last week, but we haven't gotten a device in here to play around with yet." He then proceeded to ask me if I had seen the new Galaxy... after I explained to him my distaste for Android, he did agree (willingly) that WP8 was going to have some "really cool features" that he was excited about and that the "whole MS integration is fantastic."

No info on a date/price, though...

The day's not getting any younger ;)
    I second this!!!
    10-29-2012 04:03 PM
    Verizon Release date and Pricing announced.
    T-mobile Release date and Pricing announced.
    AT&T Nothing!

I mean come on AT&T really? Not to mention all these separate events for Nokia, Windows 8 mobile, and AT&T separate announcement. When will they learn. Question is who should learn from all of this, Microsoft, Nokia or AT&T?
    Maybe its been cancelled? :D
    Xsever likes this.
    10-29-2012 04:08 PM
    Does AT&T have some kind of press conference going on today or are we just going to see if the website is updated?
    10-29-2012 04:18 PM
    AT&T just enjoys torture.
    10-29-2012 04:44 PM
    As per the Microsoft Press Release it doesn't look like anything is extremely imminent:

AT&T will carry the Nokia Lumia 920, the Lumia 820 and the Windows Phone 8X by HTC, all going on sale in November. AT&T will have more to share on prices in the coming weeks.

Microsoft Unveils Windows Phone 8
    10-29-2012 05:02 PM
    Getting sick of it. And I don't want to hear from anyone any more to wait!
    I understand the MS is a software company and have no control on when AT&T will be able to start selling the phones, but come on!! Are you telling me that MS has absolutely no influence on the carriers? After all that waiting and anticipation for today and still no concrete dates on the one freaking phone that everyone is talking about and the one phone they are holding in their hands and demoing???? Don't tell me "thats" the phone everybody wants!!! If not then don't put it in my face anymore!
    Sorry I am frustrated. I have been with Apple for 5 years and can't wait to make the switch and I am truly excited about MS Windows Phone. I just hate the teasing and waiting which I think is absolutely unnecessary and uncalled for.
    Get on with it!!!
    10-29-2012 05:07 PM
    Once again. Believe me when I tell you this. BE PATIENT. The day is young.
    Now, the day isn't so young anymore and still no word from AT&T... :@
    10-29-2012 05:09 PM
    Can't wait to get my Lumia 920 and I'm sure I'll be happy with it.

It's just a shame to watch a company that could of potentially made a comeback fail so bad by today's tech standards.
    10-29-2012 05:28 PM
    Nokia - Lumia 920 4G with 32GB Mobile Phone - Black (AT&T) - 920

I just used the cached version of the best buy link. it showed the phone as in stock, with a few clicks it went through.
    You can do this with any color just search:

Nokia Lumia 920 (whatever color you want), then choose the cached copy.

Also make sure you check out as guest. for some reason when i signed in, it disappeared from my cart every time i tried to order it.
    10-29-2012 07:56 PM

If Microsoft truly wants to be one of the big boys, getting details like this right are crucial. Now, all people who watched that event have to take away from it are a bunch of 7-7.9/10 reviews and some vague release windows for several of the devices.

We can sit here and analyse everything and try to defend why there are delays and so on, but the point here is that if you want your product to be successful, you have to make sure not only to have a good software/hardware you have to have a great marketing strategy. So far between Microsoft, Nokia, and AT&T it has been a big pile of mess once again. I would thing that companies learn from their past failures. No matter who is the OEM, and who is the re-seller here, they all need to properly coordinate such big and important events. All the training needs to take place prior to the announcement. They need to coordinate the release date, the pricing and so on before the big event. This is the only way you can hope for a successful product sales!

I'd guess that 90+% of the people who watched today's event will wait for the phones whether it's 2 days or 2 months because they are already WP users or are already sold on switching.

Today's event and lack of dates, pricing will have very little bearing on how successful the phones or platform will be. Most of the sales will come from people who had no clue about today's announcements and who have no idea what a 920, 822, 8x or Ativ are.

It sounds like they are ready to market it very heavily. They said today that you won't be able to turn on the TV, open a magazine without see WP. A joint combination of advertising from MS, the hardware manufactures and service providers will determine the success.
    10-29-2012 08:59 PM
    I'd guess that 90+% of the people who watched today's event will wait for the phones whether it's 2 days or 2 months because they are already WP users or are already sold on switching.

Today's event and lack of dates, pricing will have very little bearing on how successful the phones or platform will be. Most of the sales will come from people who had no clue about today's announcements and who have no idea what a 920, 822, 8x or Ativ are.

It sounds like they are ready to market it very heavily. They said today that you won't be able to turn on the TV, open a magazine without see WP. A joint combination of advertising from MS, the hardware manufactures and service providers will determine the success.
    I guess that's one way of looking at it.

Yet another is that before someone interested in the Lumia 920 could read one review that actually put it's much ballyhooed camera through its paces, or even a hands-on, they got to read lots of "fair-to-middling" 7-ish out of 10 type reviews of the Windows Phone 8 operating system that stressed again and again that the app ecosystem just isn't there and that there are few compelling reasons to switch from an iPhone or Android device that they probably currently own. And if they were waiting with an upgrade and had no idea when these devices were dropping, but could instead go get an iPhone 5 or Galaxy Note II or other Android flagship, maybe they'd do that instead.

If you think today's event was just some kind of formality for a large swath of people already "sold on switching", I truly have to laugh. This is an operating system with a miniscule marketshare and a brand new version obviously being rushed to market to try and get some small part of the 2012 holiday season. Its first flagship is still mysteriously invisible and being kept away in the US. The software is still "pre-release" despite having been delivered by Microsoft to all manufacturers six weeks ago. Yet, HTC's unit has apparently been finished and newly christened "the flagship" or "signature" device.

While I applaud Microsoft's verbal commitment to marketing, the fact is, they can't sell devices. That has to be done by committed carriers with their stuff together and it has to be done by manufacturers heavily promoting their unique features. Neither HTC nor Nokia has the kind of cash laying around to do that sort of promotion for long, and clearly ATT and Verizon are half-assing their lanches of these devices.

Today was a big opportunity to start to turn that around and it was a blown one.
    10-29-2012 09:38 PM
    All I have to say is: The only thing I wanted out of today's PR was a date and price of 920. I got neither. Another GIANT fail for both MS and AT&T, but as a WP7 owner I am used to these disappointments so I rarely expect anything more from both of them. So, I'll just wait it out, however long it takes.
    pvcleave likes this.
    10-29-2012 09:46 PM
    Why not just move on to devices that have dates and prices? Either there is something wrong with the at&t version or Nokia is completely incompetent, whatever the case there will be other options. Nokia seems to just have a problem launching devices going back many years so really this is not surprising.

By the time they launch it will be close to CES and MWC and better stuff will be on the horizon. The delay is probably doing us all a favor and something better will come along. :D
    pvcleave likes this.
    10-29-2012 11:45 PM
    Why not just move on to devices that have dates and prices? Either there is something wrong with the at&t version or Nokia is completely incompetent, whatever the case there will be other options. Nokia seems to just have a problem launching devices going back many years so really this is not surprising.

By the time they launch it will be close to CES and MWC and better stuff will be on the horizon. The delay is probably doing us all a favor and something better will come along. :D
    I feel like it has something to do with AT&T, look at Rogers in Canada, they're launching the Lumia 920 tomorrow.

I think AT&T has always had a problem with launching phones. Way back when, before iPhone and Android became popular, I felt like a lot of the best phones (the Nokia's and the Sony Ericssons with really nice cameras) were sold overseas only. Then of course, a few months after these latest models have been released, there's a rumor that it's coming to AT&T. Then another six months later, it finally arrives on AT&T, and by this time, new model has already replaced the old model overseas making the AT&T version of the phone outdated.

Seems almost like the same thing with Android phones that aren't a Samsung Galaxy. By the time AT&T gets it to market (like the Sony Xperia Ion I think) it's either got an outdated OS or it's running old hardware or sometimes both.

And it seems that if it's not an iPhone, software updates take FOREVER.

Wow, I just realized how much I hate AT&T. :P
    10-30-2012 01:13 AM
    Are OS updates going to be an issue with the 920 as well? I thought I saw something about future updates being handled directly through Microsoft.

I'm likely going to switch to AT&T for the 920 and am hoping it will be supported for two years.
    10-30-2012 01:48 AM
    It's a product we all want very badly. I think people have a right to b!tch..lol

Sure, sooner or later it'll come out, but no one wants to hear that c'mon now..lol

I don't know who's in charge of revealing prices and availability, but no one can deny that they're all guilty of teases us.

It really becomes a pain after a while.

"Coming soon, coming soon, here it comes, SORRY!"

"Here you go here you go, you almost got it, SIKE!"

"Pre order October 23. Better get ready.. NOPE!"

"Best buy has it hurry hurry, AWWWW!"

"Nov 3rd, mark your calendars. MY MISTAKE!"

"Nov 11th, here it comes.. MAYBE!"
    Xsever, Winterfang and km99 like this.
    10-30-2012 03:56 AM
    Why are you guys getting all butthurt now about AT&T and no details? You've known this phone is coming for a few months now and I'm pretty certain that months before that you all had already decided your next phone was going to be a WP8 phone, no matter what phone it was. They said it's coming in November, they have an ad on their site now, since last night after the conference. Do you need to be reminded that WP8 was announced yesterday? Just because you're "in the know" and have known about the phones existence for a few months doesn't mean that AT&T have to give you all of their details on phone availability ahead of their own schedule. Chill out, it's going to be a week or two and you'll have your phones.

Oh, and there's a lot of hate here on AT&T, why? I've had plans with them since 2004 and have never had an issue. Tell me T-mo can beat 400 min, text, and unlim data for under the $65 my AT&T plan costs and I'll switch.
    10-30-2012 08:11 AM
    I think we all need to calm down just a little bit. We've waited this long. What's a few more weeks, really? Let AT&T come forward when they're ready. Your patience will be rewarded.
    10-30-2012 08:27 AM
    Why are you guys getting all butthurt now about AT&T and no details? You've known this phone is coming for a few months now and I'm pretty certain that months before that you all had already decided your next phone was going to be a WP8 phone, no matter what phone it was. They said it's coming in November, they have an ad on their site now, since last night after the conference. Do you need to be reminded that WP8 was announced yesterday? Just because you're "in the know" and have known about the phones existence for a few months doesn't mean that AT&T have to give you all of their details on phone availability ahead of their own schedule. Chill out, it's going to be a week or two and you'll have your phones.
    Huh? Yes, AT&T is entitled to do whatever it wants. The point is that Microsoft should have had this coordinated with the manufacturers and with the carriers before they scheduled the event.

As it stands now, the Lumia got almost none of the abundant free press and spotlight yesterday. The 8X is the device that reviewers have been given to evaluate Windows Phone, so the benefits of Nokia's contributions to the ecosystem (Drive, Camera Extras, etc.) weren't even considered in reviews.

We know training is still scrambling to happen in the US across carriers. That's going to be a problem as reps continually steer customers to what they know and what they can make a commission off of - Android. The Lumia's US software is still "pre-release" and "not final", yet the 8X's is finished? Products will dribble into stores across three US carriers from the 14th until December? Huge opportunity missed as lots of holiday contract renewals have already been snapped up by Galaxy S3, iPhone 5, and Galaxy Note II.

It's not just about the Lumia 920. It's about a relaunch that is clearly uncoordinated and sporadic. We've had four events for this OS, and there are STILL questions unanswered and specifics missing. That's a problem.

It dampens enthusiasm amongst the biggest fans of the platform, and every day this stuff isn't together is a day when a WP fan says "You know...I was all fired up, but now I'm just going to stick with WP 7.5 device for awhile and see what comes out next year." Sales lost.
    km99 likes this.
    10-30-2012 09:05 AM
82 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD