The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
10-31-2012 11:14 AM
82 ... 234
tools
    The thing is, the reason iPhone apps work on the iPad is because the iPad is essentially the iPhone blown up to a bigger size. Rather than do that with Windows RT, Microsoft took the reverse approach; they toned down a desktop OS. Metro apps for Windows 8 will work in both the full version and RT version (so for this example, let's say computer and tablet) while Windows Phone is the different one. For Apple, iOS apps work with iPhone/iPad, but not OSX. Both companies have two devices that share apps, and one left out (the difference is the combination). Seems the same to me.
    10-31-2012 12:27 AM
    Plausible. I know most of the NE hubs were shut down completely. Nothing in or out. Better to have a delayed phone than have people hurt in a storm because I wanted my 920.

Although, forgive me for my ignorance, where are Nokia phones manufactured? Coming from Asia, I would imagine they would come through the west coast... Europe would be the east.
    The implication was that it disrupted the release timetable. Basically, they we're going to announce a firm date, but because demo/training devices and general distribution to the and from the NE got held, the whole thing got thrown up in the air.
    10-31-2012 08:49 AM
    For the record, while apple may have one "marketplace," if an app is purchased for iPad, it doesn't work on OSX or iPhone.
    I have to correct you on this, it DOES.

It's all up to the developer who MADE the app to decide (money wise) if he/she wants for that app to be Universal (+) or not.

Still the option is there, you can't say the option doesn't exist.

Apple DID get this part right.
    mjrtoo likes this.
    10-31-2012 09:10 AM
    The implication was that it disrupted the release timetable. Basically, they we're going to announce a firm date, but because demo/training devices and general distribution to the and from the NE got held, the whole thing got thrown up in the air.
    Yeah, I know that... that's why I agreed it was plausible. And then asked where manufacturing took place. :)
    10-31-2012 09:49 AM
    I have to correct you on this, it DOES.

It's all up to the developer who MADE the app to decide (money wise) if he/she wants for that app to be Universal (+) or not.

Still the option is there, you can't say the option doesn't exist.

Apple DID get this part right.
    As much as I hate to admit it, I agree, Apple got this exactly right. And I'm not going to f'in buy the SAME application 3 times, for phone, xbox, and desktop of some type. Just ain't gonna happen. I want to stick with Microsoft, but if that isn't 'fixed' it's a huge decision factor for me.

Can any developers comment if that is indeed a possibility with this platform, to 'mark' an application as universal?
    Last edited by mjrtoo; 10-31-2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Added additional comment
    10-31-2012 10:16 AM
    As much as I hate to admit it, I agree, Apple got this exactly right. And I'm not going to f'in buy the SAME application 3 times, for phone, xbox, and desktop of some type. Just ain't gonna happen. I want to stick with Microsoft, but if that isn't 'fixed' it's a huge decision factor for me.

Can any developers comment if that is indeed a possibility with this platform, to 'mark' an application as universal?
    I have to say, i think microsoft is doing exactly what apple did though, and by that what i mean is.. setting up the FOUNDATION of this environment the same way.. and that's a good thing.

The positive take away we have here is how everything is tied to our Microsoft/Live accounts.

Theoretically microsoft could come out with a fairly small change in the future making this happen.
    10-31-2012 11:08 AM

Though Apple has ipod touch, iphone and ipad. As a old iPhone and iPad owner i paid for all of the apps again in IPad, even as i had some of them on my iPhone. Though iPod touch and iPhone do go together.

With Microsoft we have X86 Windows 8 - RT Windows 8 - Windows Phone 8 - Xbox. At least on RT Windows 8 apps will be compatible with X86 Windows 8.
    10-31-2012 11:14 AM
82 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD