10-31-2012 11:14 AM
82 123 ...
tools
    How do they not have Ballmer ready with the info at the end of this keynote speech?
    10-29-2012 01:06 PM
    How do they not have Ballmer ready with the info at the end of this keynote speech?
    Obviously they are letting AT&T announce it themselves. So I would expect it sometime today.
    10-29-2012 01:07 PM
    yes, it's a good idea. Let AT&T do it.
    10-29-2012 01:08 PM
    Jesus Christ, this is getting ridiculous. I really hope AT&T announces that info today, I'm sick of all of these announcements with no real information about availability. Ugh. Super frustrated.
    10-29-2012 01:09 PM
    Jesus Christ, this is getting ridiculous. I really hope AT&T announces that info today, I'm sick of all of these announcements with no real information about availability. Ugh. Super frustrated.
    Well it would make no sense for the developer of the firmware to be the one to reveal that.
    10-29-2012 01:10 PM
    They could at least tell you when the carriers are spilling the beans. This is getting ridiculous. :mad:
    10-29-2012 01:13 PM
    They could at least tell you when the carriers are spilling the beans. This is getting ridiculous. :mad:
    Why would they do that?

T-Mobile already gave their information this morning before the event.
    10-29-2012 01:13 PM
    Groan. WTH, AT&T? Bunch of incompetent killjoys.

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk
    10-29-2012 01:15 PM
    This is absolutely ridiculous! I can't believe they still did not announce any specific dates!
    No wonder people think windows phone launch is a joke.
    10-29-2012 01:15 PM
    ATT needs to get their ish together
    10-29-2012 01:16 PM
    This is absolutely ridiculous! I can't believe they still did not announce any specific dates!
    No wonder people think windows phone launch is a joke.
    Once again. Believe me when I tell you this. BE PATIENT. The day is young.
    snowmutt likes this.
    They would do that because there has already been a Lumia 920 event, preview WP8 event, and now the official WP8 event, and if this phone is the "standard bearer" - which we all know it is - then it should've been spotlighted with a release date.

I assume this event was coordinated with their hardware partners and manufacturers. If not, then...facepalm.
    The OS company can't tell you when it will be available at the carriers. That is the carriers job. They will announce when they are ready to announce.

Now, if this was a Surface phone announcement then they could release dates and carrier info. But this isn't their hardware. Only their software. It is up to the OEM's and the Carriers to announce this.

Have patience, it won't kill you if this isn't announced in the next ten minutes.
    10-29-2012 01:30 PM
    The OS company can't tell you when it will be available at the carriers. That is the carriers job. They will announce when they are ready to announce.

Now, if this was a Surface phone announcement then they could release dates and carrier info. But this isn't their hardware. Only their software. It is up to the OEM's and the Carriers to announce this.

Have patience, it won't kill you if this isn't announced in the next ten minutes.
    Exactly. The only reason they were able to announce T-Mobile's specific dates is because T-Mobile themselves released this before the event.
    10-29-2012 01:31 PM
    Well Rogers just announced theirs is on sale tomorrow at select store. ATT needs to get their act together.
    HeyCori likes this.
    10-29-2012 01:34 PM

Sigh.

Yes, I know Microsoft isn't a carrier or a manufacturer.

But the whole point of leading up this event is to end all speculation, anticipation and have people watching the broadcast or reading the liveblog charged up and ready to visit a Microsoft store or carrier store THIS WEEKEND or whenever the specific date of release is.

This would only behoove their carrier partners and also behoove the manufacturers, who likely wouldn't be able to get this as much visibility for their product on their own. They obviously had the embargo lift and device reviews coordinated and ready to go now. They should have had these dates coordinated as well.

If this had happened once, it might be understandable. But the fact that there have been four "events" now related to either the Nokia Lumia 920, Windows Phone 8, or a combination of the two with NO price or release date is a travesty any way you try to spin it.

Part of Apple's superior salesmanship is getting people worked up at their events and then giving them specific action items (Preorder on X date! Buy on Y date!) to take up as soon as the event is over. With Windows Phone 8, you juust have to keep checking blogs and websites to get all of the info you need. Not cool.

Making the consumer do work to buy YOUR product never is.
    pvcleave likes this.
    10-29-2012 01:44 PM
    Verizon Release date and Pricing announced.
    T-mobile Release date and Pricing announced.
    AT&T Nothing!

I mean come on AT&T really? Not to mention all these separate events for Nokia, Windows 8 mobile, and AT&T separate announcement. When will they learn. Question is who should learn from all of this, Microsoft, Nokia or AT&T?
    10-29-2012 01:48 PM
    The fact that the HTC was the phone reviewed already by tech blogs and not the 920 is telling...
    10-29-2012 01:53 PM
    The fact that the HTC was the phone reviewed already by tech blogs and not the 920 is telling...
    Interesting that Engadget calls it the flagship in their headline and The Verge calls it "the signature" handset in theirs.

I guess Microsoft went with who had their distribution game together.

I find the reviews a little confusing, however. One says the 8X lost the "burst mode" it had on the One X, and then another review of the OS says the new PhotoStrip lens adds burst mode that is fully configurable.
    10-29-2012 01:59 PM
    Not that hard to figure out, about a billion different sources say Nov 11-12 and price is probably going to be $199 and $599 off contract.

If those numbers aren't accurate, I promise you they are very, very close.

Now relax.
    10-29-2012 02:14 PM
    Are the 920 reviews waiting on an announcement from AT&T?
    10-29-2012 02:19 PM
    Not that hard to figure out, about a billion different sources say Nov 11-12 and price is probably going to be $199 and $599 off contract.

If those numbers aren't accurate, I promise you they are very, very close.

Now relax.
    I'm not only relaxed, but I find myself laughing at this all.

There's an art to launching a device, and it's not coincidental that the two companies who execute launches the best - Samsung and Apple - are running the mobile industry right now. Apple excels at "...And you can get ________ right now (or next week)". Samsung excels at "Here are these awesome specs and you can get them on every carrier".
    DrewT3 likes this.
    10-29-2012 02:21 PM
    It is easy for Apple to provide launch date and pricing information for their devices, since they control the software, the hardware, and the distribution themselves.

Same with Google, and their Nexus products, to a certain extent.
    10-29-2012 02:35 PM
    It is easy for Apple to provide launch date and pricing information for their devices, since they control the software, the hardware, and the distribution themselves.

Same with Google, and their Nexus products, to a certain extent.
    Again, I get that Microsoft only does the software (for now).

But the OS was released to their partners Sept. 14. They didn't send the invite for this event out until Oct. 4.

Why schedule an event if you haven't already coordinated with your partners to provide FINAL info? Especially when you've already had THREE prior events.

In case you haven't noticed, Apple has partners as well. They are the very same carriers who are dribbling vague info out about Windows Phone 8 devices. This never happens with an iPhone.

If Microsoft truly wants to be one of the big boys, getting details like this right are crucial. Now, all people who watched that event have to take away from it are a bunch of 7-7.9/10 reviews and some vague release windows for several of the devices.

What happened to the plan to have pre-orders start on the same day (e.g. Oct. 21)? Were pre-orders even mentioned?
    DrewT3 likes this.
    10-29-2012 02:43 PM
    Again, I get that Microsoft only does the software (for now).

But the OS was released to their partners Sept. 14. They didn't send the invite for this event out until Oct. 4.

Why schedule an event if you haven't already coordinated with your partners to provide FINAL info? Especially when you've already had THREE prior events.

In case you haven't noticed, Apple has partners as well. They are the very same carriers who are dribbling vague info out about Windows Phone 8 devices. This never happens with an iPhone.

If Microsoft truly wants to be one of the big boys, getting details like this right are crucial. Now, all people who watched that event have to take away from it are a bunch of 7-7.9/10 reviews and some vague release windows for several of the devices.

What happened to the plan to have pre-orders start on the same day (e.g. Oct. 21)? Were pre-orders even mentioned?
    I agree that it is silly to have an event to just launch WP8, and not have firm commitments on the the release dates for the products your software is going on.
    10-29-2012 02:53 PM
82 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD