Buying the Nokia Lumia 920 in the UK

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Since the Nokia Lumai 920 is exclusive to EE is anyone buying this phone on contract? The tarrifs are quite expensive and I was thinking of buying unlocked phone and use it on my current T-Mobile contract but it will workout to be more expensive in the long run. I'm undecided on what to do. Anyone else getting it unlocked?

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I was looking to get a 920 off contract, I'm just waiting for the stores to start selling it.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Buying SIM free, the 920 is available in Phones4U from Fri on a EE contract. Going to pop down there today or tomorrow to find out if they are doing SIM free as well...

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
EE contract prices are terrible for Internet! I'm on 3 and not changing, so it's a wait until the sim free version, I think if clove, handtec don't announce prices by Friday it will be a couple of weeks before its available sim free at least.

Which is a shame as I suspect many folks will move to the samsung or htc phone as they are out in a few days apparently.

anon(5352752)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
New here so don't bite!

If you look at a Lumia 920..12 month contract ?51 a month and ?50 for the phone. Works out at ?662. Take off ?470 which is cost of phone sim free which makes it ?192 for the plan for 12 months (unlimited mins and texts with 1gb data)..Divide that cost of ?192 by 12 and that gives 16 per month.
Depends how you look at it I guess :/

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Well spotted Spencer. I've commented on numerous websites, that listed the contract prices for EE, rather than the SIM only prices.

EE is more expensive than most other carriers, but not by as much as the glory seeking headlines would have you believe.

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Your right......but for some of us we would have to factor in our current contract price also. Your deal is if your a new contract customer, most of us I would imagine have a contract.

So I would need to add another ?360 on top of your price

ashyk36

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Dissapointed

From what I have read a sim free version will not be appearing for a while. Am I asking a bit too much if I ask for a cyan 1?

manzanotti

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I just popped in to my nearest EE shop, and they said that they will be doing this on 3G too, so I take that to mean that you will be able to get it on Orange/T Mobile, which should be a load cheaper than getting a 4G contract. They also said they're not expecting stock until next week at the earliest though.

anon(5352752)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Your right......but for some of us we would have to factor in our current contract price also. Your deal is if your a new contract customer, most of us I would imagine have a contract.

So I would need to add another ?360 on top of your price

If I remember right, Phones4U still do that JUMP thing which allows you to bundle in the existing cost..Maybe this could help you?

What is JUMP? | Online Purchases & Joining Phones4u | Phones4U

I just popped in to my nearest EE shop, and they said that they will be doing this on 3G too, so I take that to mean that you will be able to get it on Orange/T Mobile, which should be a load cheaper than getting a 4G contract. They also said they're not expecting stock until next week at the earliest though.

Wouldn't surprise me if it did, but then you would have to factor in 24 month contract., With phone tech losing value so fast, by the time if comes to upgrade, the phone recycle value is worth squat.

If you can afford it, I'd say the 12 month plan is the best way as by the time you're back to a rolling deal, O2 and Vodafone will have their networks and a price war will begin :)

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Is there a delineation between which unlocked phone will work on AT&TBLTE and which won't? I might go the unlocked route from the UK or Europe nut want to make sure it supports AT&T LTE. Thanks!

anon(5352752)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not 100% sure.

Do you know what the frequencies are used in the US for 4G/3G signals at all?. Maybe then can cross ref against Nokia UK support site?

Last edited:

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Is there a delineation between which unlocked phone will work on AT&TBLTE and which won't? I might go the unlocked route from the UK or Europe nut want to make sure it supports AT&T LTE. Thanks!

As far as i know AT&T has totally unique LTE freqs compared to Europe and Asia.

There's global version of Lumia 920 that supports European and Asian LTE, then there's USA version that supports AT&T LTE.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
As far as i know AT&T has totally unique LTE freqs compared to Europe and Asia.

There's global version of Lumia 920 that supports European and Asian LTE, then there's USA version that supports AT&T LTE.

And I'd imagine that the USA version will not be soled factory unlocked, only through AT&T. Does anyone know if there was an AT&T LTE compatible 900 sold factory unlocked?

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
And I'd imagine that the USA version will not be soled factory unlocked, only through AT&T. Does anyone know if there was an AT&T LTE compatible 900 sold factory unlocked?

Don't know about Lumia 900, but there was Lumia 800 available unlocked in USA via MS stores.

PurpleOmen

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm on three, I spend ?34 a month to get 900 minutes unlimited texts/internet there is no way I would be changing my carrier!! There are two roads I can see, wait to see if there will ever be an unlocked version or just buy it over at t-mobile and register it on my girlfriends account, but the downside is I would have to wait 3 months before I can get it unlocked, for ?20! =o

Any ideas?

luckylifo

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm on three, I spend ?34 a month to get 900 minutes unlimited texts/internet there is no way I would be changing my carrier!! There are two roads I can see, wait to see if there will ever be an unlocked version or just buy it over at t-mobile and register it on my girlfriends account, but the downside is I would have to wait 3 months before I can get it unlocked, for ?20! =o

Any ideas?

You can order an unlocked one from Germany (e.g amazon.de) whenever it becomes available. Hopefully in a couple of weeks! At least that's my current plan.

PurpleOmen

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
http://www.gsmnation.com/nokia-lumia-920-black-at-t-unlocked.html[/url]
also availabe in white, I have already emailed the support team and they said it will work with any carrier, as I questioned being from the uk. It is just purely AT&T logo, they have got them unlocked :D

$640usd
?408gbp

PurpleOmen

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
http://www.gsmnation.com/nokia-lumia-920-black-at-t-unlocked.html[/url]
also availabe in white, I have already emailed the support team and they said it will work with any carrier, as I questioned being from the uk. It is just purely AT&T logo, they have got them unlocked :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett