11-03-2012 11:08 AM
70 123
tools
    I'd believe that the camera isn't the best in all conditions. The iPhone camera is pretty dang good.

The L920 has the best low-light camera and is the best for video without shake.
    10-30-2012 03:38 PM
    Laptop Magazine's review is up:
    Nokia Lumia 920

The Verdict: The Nokia Lumia 920 is the ultimate Windows Phone, thanks to its jaw-dropping HD screen, fantastic PureView camera and wireless charging capability.4/5 Stars.
    Last edited by vtective; 10-31-2012 at 11:53 AM.
    10-30-2012 11:23 PM
    I think the reviewers are missing out the improved ergonomics of the 920 over the 900. This device (in matte black) is comfortable to hold, while the 900 you had to sort of find a comfortable position. Also everything load faster, the animations are smoother and quicker, and the touch responsiveness is improved.
    10-31-2012 12:16 AM
    Laptop Magazine's review is up:
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Thank you for posting. I am planning on getting the L920, but I want to see more camera comparison pictures. The camera is going to be the deal breaker from leaving my iPhone 4S.
    10-31-2012 12:22 AM
    That fake review is completely non authentic and was created to demoralize Nokia fans who have GREAT expectation from Lumia 920.

Have a look at this review. It gives honest feedback on Lumia 920
    10-31-2012 12:33 AM
    I don't think that characterization is fair at all. In fact, Vlad Savov just released a "This Is My Next" piece on the 8X and WP8 today. if you're familiar with The Verge, you know that this is the equivalent of making sweet, sloppy, indecent love to the featured device.

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk
    Yep, Vlad got me thinking 8x is the way to go. Dude seems solid in his reviews.
    10-31-2012 12:40 AM
    Another review, this one by Expert Reviews in the UK.
    Nokia Lumia 920 review | Expert Reviews

Lacklustre camera aside, this is a superb Windows Phone 8 handset. 5/5 Stars.
    After three reviews and sample pics- I'm starting to think overall camera performance is not as great as I was hoping for. It still seems quite good though, good enough for social media sharing.

One thing this review did though was help me decide that I'm going for the Lumia 920 over the HTC 8X. On Windows Phone black levels matter a lot and the Nokia seems to be the champ in that category.
    10-31-2012 11:51 AM
    Anyone else tired of the constant banging on the "not enough apps" BS?

Windows Phone has most the major apps. The number for Android is super inflated; anytime I searched for an app it was a good 10:1 ratio of garbage apps in some Asian script that are irrelevant for most phone users. Then we have iOS which has a ratio of what 2:1 or 3:1 of fart/soundboard/gag apps vs. quality usable apps?

The bigger problem are the developers that are boycotting the Windows ecosystem because they want to be whiny about how Microsoft marketplace (which is no worse than the Apple App Store) is going to cut into their bottom lines.
    10-31-2012 12:13 PM
    Another review, this one by Expert Reviews in the UK.
    Nokia Lumia 920 review | Expert Reviews

After three reviews and sample pics- I'm starting to think overall camera performance is not as great as I was hoping for. It still seems quite good though, good enough for social media sharing.

One thing this review did though was help me decide that I'm going for the Lumia 920 over the HTC 8X. On Windows Phone black levels matter a lot and the Nokia seems to be the champ in that category.
    I think the pics look fine. I also think alot of people here have too high of expectations, after all, the 920s camera is still a camera in a phone. I figured this would end up like the 900 so I'm actually impressed by the shots I've seen. We all remember Nokia trying to sell the 900 camera as the bees knees when in fact it was an average at best camera.
    10-31-2012 12:26 PM
    I think the pics look fine. I also think alot of people here have too high of expectations, after all, the 920s camera is still a camera in a phone. I figured this would end up like the 900 so I'm actually impressed by the shots I've seen. We all remember Nokia trying to sell the 900 camera as the bees knees when in fact it was an average at best camera.
    Good points. I'm coming from a Venue Pro... It would not take much in terms of Camera performance to make me happy.
    10-31-2012 12:28 PM
    Both the Expert UK and the DialAPhone reviews were atrocious. Both were full of factual errors. Neither even attempted to make any meaningful measurements. Neither of the reviewers understand the technology they are reviewing. Waste of time, both of them.

Unfortunately at this point I am only aware of one good Ativ S review.
    Last edited by a5cent; 10-31-2012 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Duh, Ativ S, not 8X review
    10-31-2012 12:28 PM
    Anyone else tired of the constant banging on the "not enough apps" BS?
    It's getting old... to an extent. People not familar with the OS deserve to know what they're buying in to. Whether many of us need apps like Flipboard, Instagram or an official Pinterest app, the fact that major apps like these are not available will be a deciding factor for some, especially the ladies.
    10-31-2012 12:34 PM
    The bigger problem are the developers that are boycotting the Windows ecosystem because they want to be whiny about how Microsoft marketplace (which is no worse than the Apple App Store) is going to cut into their bottom lines.
    You've got all of this completely wrong.

Firstly, Microsoft actually takes a much smaller cut from app store sales than Apple does. That cut has nothing to do with the fact that fewer developers are participating in the WP community.

Secondly, Developers aren't being whiny at all. They just aren't developing for WP because market conditions don't make doing so worthwhile. Professional developers need to earn a living too, so just like anyone else, they go where there is money to be earned.
    tissotti likes this.
    10-31-2012 12:43 PM
    Guys, have you not seen the user camera samples on the other threads in this forum? They are AVERAGE AT BEST. There is a reason we have seen zero normal lighting shots from the 920 in any of the hands-on demos until now...it simply is not that good. I had my fears about this, wondering why they never showed us any daylight shots. Now from what I have seen, the 8X trumps the 920 in any sort of decent light.

This camera is going to be the big disappointment of the WP8 launch, and this is very unfortunate for the platform overall. So many were hoping that Windows Phone would be home to the ultimate cameraphone experience, which would have certainly prompted many people to switch platforms. It is becoming more and more clear that this is not going to be the case. The 8X just looks better and better.
    10-31-2012 12:55 PM
    Now from what I have seen, the 8X trumps the 920 in any sort of decent light.
    Where can I find these comparison shots in daylight of the 920 against the 8X? Because you wouldn't be so stupid to make that claim by comparing pictures taken at different times/location and under different circumstances would you?
    10-31-2012 01:08 PM
    Where can I find these comparison shots in daylight of the 920 against the 8X? Because you wouldn't be so stupid to make that claim by comparing pictures taken at different times/location and under different circumstances would you?
    No doubt. That would be almost as dumb as buying nokias camera hype just months after they overhyped their last camera.
    10-31-2012 01:19 PM
    No doubt. That would be almost as dumb as buying nokias camera hype just months after they overhyped their last camera.
    I don't care too much about the camera myself, might be nice to actually be able to take a picture during the dark winter, but I don't usually take pictures. I just hate people making claims without showing any evidence for it, that's why I am asking for the evidence. I do think many people will be disappointed by the camera since Nokia has been building up such a hype around it, that is human natur
    10-31-2012 01:25 PM
    So according to the expertreviews review, the lack of detail is because of aggressive noise reduction. I'm not sure why it's like that, maybe because for the night shots despite the OIS, it still uses a high ISO (which causes noise) which the noise reduction is suppose to reduce at the expense of detail.
    10-31-2012 01:27 PM
    I'm sure the camera will be fine if you're not expecting a dslr
    10-31-2012 01:33 PM
    CNET UK's review is up!
    Nokia Lumia 920 Review | Mobile Phones | CNET UK

Verdict: If you want to move into the world of Windows Phone 8, the Nokia Lumia 920 is the phone to get. With a stunning screen, smart design and some great included apps, it's the best way to experience the new operating system. Windows Phone isn't for you if you like apps though, and the 920's battery life is less than impressive. 4/5 Stars.
    10-31-2012 01:42 PM
    I'm sure the camera will be fine if you're not expecting a dslr
    We really wanted it to be better than the iPhone 5 though. And it is, with video recording and low light shots, but in daylight, the aggressive noise reduction seems to give its shots less detail than the iPhone 5's.

Still waiting for more review though.
    10-31-2012 01:44 PM
    We really wanted it to be better than the iPhone 5 though. And it is, with video recording and low light shots, but in daylight, the aggressive noise reduction seems to give its shots less detail than the iPhone 5's.

Still waiting for more review though.
    Oh, I see. A ******* contest.
    10-31-2012 02:18 PM
    Oh, I see. A ******* contest.
    Basically. :P

But then at least I'd have an easier time converting people over to Windows Phone.
    a5cent likes this.
    10-31-2012 02:20 PM
    Basically. :P

But then at least I'd have an easier time converting people over to Windows Phone.
    Good point. Moar users, moar apps.
    a5cent likes this.
    10-31-2012 02:23 PM
    Well actually the reviewer was right, the iPhone5 photos are way better than the lumia 920 on regular conditions

Camera Comparison: Nokia Lumia 920 vs iPhone 5 | Mobile Phone Reviews
    10-31-2012 03:24 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD