First Pictures of 920 | Rogers Canada

Xsever

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Problem #1: Even with screen sensitivity set to "HIGH", I cannot use the phone with a pen nor keys as seen in videos. Don't really care as I'll be taking care of the phone but just thought of putting it out there.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The camera on this device isn't supposed to be just good enough.

It depends where you come from. I'm not surprised that N8 is capable of taking better pictures in some scenarios. Not to mention the 808. While this is a current camera flagship, but it's camera flahshippyness comes mainly from the optical stabilisation which doesnt get to show off it's best in every possible scenario.

I cant take good low light pictures on my N8 except with flash, but it ruins any of the possible low light setting with overexposure, but the xenon flash sure lights up the whole bedroom as if I had every possible light on lol. I dont have any "reliable statistics" here how often I have to retake my picture cos my hand shaked a bit at the wrong time and the picture ended up blurry, but I'd say at least a few times in every 10 photos at the very least. Not to mention in videos it's a constant problem.

This still blows away vast majority of smartphone cameras, with really the only competing ones being the previous camera flagships from Nokia itself. Some LG I think had 13 mpix camera, but that wasnt really impressive photos either.

That said, this still doesnt represent the absolute highest of camera tech Nokia has had. I still see Pureview 808 more so for that, the only special thing the Lumia 920 has going for it camera wise is the OIS and low light images, in which it currently has no rivals in.

That said, it's not like I'm even getting the 920 for it's camera. I'm more so getting the 920 despite it's camera, I can see myself still carrying my N8 at least in my schoolbag SIMless for the times I need higher res pictures for my certain personal niche needs. It depends on how well I can photo 2 pages of ~A4 size papers (basically the average university book kinda thing) with the 920. If they remain well readable and I dont have to compromise, then I probably wont carry the N8 around anymore, but I wont be surprised even if N8 ends up better for the job, sadly when copying books like that, blurry pictures is what wastes the most time, so for that OIS is God sent, so I'd hope the 920 is sufficient for that too.

In a way I feel what you are complaining right now is quite similar to some of the Surface reviews, where they complain how the kickstand is hard to use on lap and how the assist is only on one side while completely ignoring the feature of the kickstand which it's competitors dont even frigging have lol. No, you can't be best at everything, I'm not surprised if phones with big camera bulges do better than the Lumia 920, but even then the Lumia 920 has features in it's camera that in certain scenarios beat fe. even PureView 808 but at least N8.

Last edited:

drelewis

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
reading all of this and seeing the pictures I feel a big MEHHHHHHHH I remember reading the information on the lumia 900 and thinking I must have this phone. 920 reading this looks and feels the same but for some tweaks in the OS. HTC is really looking like a good option than carrying around the tank in my pocket.

Xsever

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
All I can say, after further testing, is that low light performance is out of this world.

You will not believe the pictures you take with this phone. "WHERE DID IT GET ALL THIS LIGHT!"

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Problem #1: Even with screen sensitivity set to "HIGH", I cannot use the phone with a pen nor keys as seen in videos. Don't really care as I'll be taking care of the phone but just thought of putting it out there.

Ah so you can set the sensitivity. Not just "Super Sensitive Touch on or off"?

anon(5353539)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
All I can say, after further testing, is that low light performance is out of this world.

You will not believe the pictures you take with this phone. "WHERE DID IT GET ALL THIS LIGHT!"

can you do some action shots with the led flash? its supposed to be a next gen led which can give a xenon flash kinda look. The frozen look i mean.

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the report.
Any chance of comparison pictures - Lumia 900 against Lumia 920?

Regarding the screen sensitivity: Is the sensitivity of the screen the same with sensitivity set to "high" compared to "low" (or "off", or whatever this is called)
Just thinking.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
reading all of this and seeing the pictures I feel a big MEHHHHHHHH I remember reading the information on the lumia 900 and thinking I must have this phone. 920 reading this looks and feels the same but for some tweaks in the OS. HTC is really looking like a good option than carrying around the tank in my pocket.

Pretty much, the 900 was also touted as great camera and some crazy screen that you could see it directly under the sun. Neither of those promises where really fulfil

From the look of this, neither did this phone. While the 8X continues to impress more and more. What a failure of a company Nokia is.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
What a failure of a company Nokia is.

I dont know what the Lumia 900 promised and what it delivered, but let's not forget how the "fail company" is totally dominating in WP7 marketshare. I think 8X is great and I hope it gets the attention it deserves, but I have my feeling Nokia will continue having the biggest marketshare within WP8 as well.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Pretty much, the 900 was also touted as great camera and some crazy screen that you could see it directly under the sun. Neither of those promises where really fulfil

From the look of this, neither did this phone. While the 8X continues to impress more and more. What a failure of a company Nokia is.

So far we have heard anything else than a praise about the camera by the user... still for some reason can't open those SkyDrive pics.
That said i really do wanna see more of those pics taken under good lighting and comparisons because i certainly wanna see Symbian like performance there as well.

The best we have ever measured in our lab tests are the Samsung Galaxy S and the Nokia Lumia 900 with its ClearBlack display, with about half of the reflectance of the new iPad.

Why Nokia's Lumia 900 screen looks so darn good | Mobile - CNET News

Thinking Lumia 920 also features Clear Black display and has burst mode for the screen i can't imagine it doing anything else than better.

Last edited:

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site

Well they told that it was difficult to make 808 module suspended.. but they are working on it.. For now these are the innovations so far.. Anyway enjoy your 8X. I will be getting Nokia phones only after using HTC surround for over a year. I havent got the Tango upgrade yet for unlocked surround. And i have junk apps from HTC.

Well i had a N8 (bought it for the camera) and I took ****ty pictures with it. I thought Nokia was not good with cameras. I didnt know that N8 was tops.. Anyway it is about the image and env.. lets get more pictures and then decide..

Again, this is not the last phone.. There is a lot coming next year... esp to Verizon from all that we have heard.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Excellent first post! Welcome to WPC!

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Just a guess, any chance it could be you not logged into the service yourself? I know I am, as I run Win8 so I'm automatically logged and I can see the pics.

I don't think that should be a problem. I saw them without logging in, I think that particular album is public.

weetigo

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok thanks, and after talking to a Rogers Plus store employee, makes sense. He said that the Lumia 920 is available in select stores in Eastern Canada, with Western Canada to follow in the next week or 2.

I refused to be considered an easterner. Winnipeg had a couple in stock today too.

weetigo

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

Works fine with keys for me, but it didn't like my floppy gloves, but worked with gloves if I pressed the screen firmer. Also, I haven't adjusted any sensitivity options.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Wpcentral Canadian readers, don't take this a wrong way, but Canada feels such a random country to receive Windows Phone 8 and Lumia 920 first.

Works fine with keys for me, but it didn't like my floppy gloves, but worked with gloves if I pressed the screen firmer. Also, I haven't adjusted any sensitivity options.

If somebody can, please tell what the sensitivity settings are all about.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
priya8923