First Pictures of 920 | Rogers Canada

jeppu

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Calendar?

Thanks for posting all this info! I'd like to hear about the calendar app, have they made any changes to it? And can the calendar live tile be configured to show multiple upcoming items (like the agenda view)?

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
OK someone please explain this to me:
When my phone is in standby, WiFi disconnects automatically and the phone switches to cellular (for whatever moronic reason). Then if I get an incoming Skype call when my phone is in standby and the screen lights up, will the Skype call remain on cellular or will it automatically switch to WiFi? Because if it switches, shouldn't the call disconnect because of the 1-2 second gap between disconnecting from cellular and connecting to WiFi?

imZadok

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the videos and photos, I'm finding myself regularly checking back to see any updates :)

Regarding the camera, it seems that the still photos have a small area of focus, and anything in the foreground or background is relatively blurry. I was wondering if this could be a result of the F2.0 lens?

codemonkey82

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Data Sense has to be enabled by the carrier before you can use this feature. It's nowhere to be seen on my phone.

That's stupid.. I've seen the presentation on monday and they showed the feature. I thought that only the compression feature has to be enabled by carrier (which I can understand). But Data Sense also showed which App generated how much traffic. If this is only visible when the carrier want's you to see it, is it stupid...

Xsever

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the videos and photos, I'm finding myself regularly checking back to see any updates :)

Regarding the camera, it seems that the still photos have a small area of focus, and anything in the foreground or background is relatively blurry. I was wondering if this could be a result of the F2.0 lens?

Thank you for checking it out. I am no photography expert, but I will be doing side by side comparison between the 920 and the 900 today after I get off work.

That should help people get a better idea.

gfunk84

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Does the phone have the regular Maps app and Nokia Maps app in the app list, or only Nokia Maps? I know all WP8 devices use maps powered by Nokia, but Maps/Nokia Maps do have some differences in terms of features/app design from what I've seen.

How are the Nokia Maps in Canada?

I've looked at maps.nokia.com online in my browser and it is seriously lacking compared to Bing Maps (it says it doesn't support "places" in Winnipeg, whereas with Bing I can get all sorts of POI and businesses and even Local Scout on my Samsung Focus).

Xsever

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
That's stupid.. I've seen the presentation on monday and they showed the feature. I thought that only the compression feature has to be enabled by carrier (which I can understand). But Data Sense also showed which App generated how much traffic. If this is only visible when the carrier want's you to see it, is it stupid...

Can you remind me where did Joe access it from? Was it in settings or a separate app?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

Thanks a lot man! Just what I was looking for! Quality seems sufficient for this niche need of mine so I probably wont have to drag around my N8 with the Lumia 920.

I can relate to your position :D When N8 was new, I had the privilege to get hands on with the device much before it's release (and off NDA) so I was answering questions over at GSMArena and there was a constant bombing of questions. I was also amongst the first people in the world to get a commercial N8, so I also kept answering questions as well as providing picture and video samples to people. Sadly finns dont get the privilege now to be the first, but I guess karma has provided you for us! :D

Thanks again!

Xsever

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks a lot man! Just what I was looking for! Quality seems sufficient for this niche need of mine so I probably wont have to drag around my N8 with the Lumia 920.

I can relate to your position :D When N8 was new, I had the privilege to get hands on with the device much before it's release (and off NDA) so I was answering questions over at GSMArena and there was a constant bombing of questions. I was also amongst the first people in the world to get a commercial N8, so I also kept answering questions as well as providing picture and video samples to people. Sadly finns dont get the privilege now to be the first, but I guess karma has provided you for us! :D

Thanks again!

You're welcome. Awesome Nokia life stories we have here. I still can't believe I am one of the very few people that have it.

The phone is amazing don't get me wrong, but there is something deep deep down saying: "WP8 isn't a huge update over WP7. I was expecting more for some reason."

Do you have any pets of children? Please take a picture of a moving object.

No pets nor children but I will try and take a picture of a moving object and post it here soon.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The phone is amazing don't get me wrong, but there is something deep deep down saying: "WP8 isn't a huge update over WP7. I was expecting more for some reason."

Well, for me it's basically a whole new update. If it wasnt for a friend who gave me his old Omnia 7 for free, I wouldn't have had any experience with WP until 920. I've now been using the Omnia 7 for like a week or so and today I tried to use my N8 after that weeks break and I found myself turning it back off and just continueing with the Omnia :D

I miss some features from Symbian than WP still lacks and a certain level of freedom. A few things WP8 has already addressed, but even as it is I'm probably happy with WP8. I wasnt even expecting a huge difference in 7,5 and 8 tbh and at this point I think the most important difference is under the hood in the coding language.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
That was my initial feeling after seeing some overview videos, but there are some nuggets here and there that made me go "Yessss!!", especially the stuff you can do with the lock screen as well as the Rooms feature. Some basic stuff I was disappointed with (no calendar updates nor custom alerts), but oh well.

I think MS had to put a lot of resources on the kernel aspect of WP8 and ran out of time for other stuff. Maybe the next update will bring more stuff that we've been wanting (*sigh* I know, here we go again).

Xsever

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Well, for me it's basically a whole new update. If it wasnt for a friend who gave me his old Omnia 7 for free, I wouldn't have had any experience with WP until 920. I've now been using the Omnia 7 for like a week or so and today I tried to use my N8 after that weeks break and I found myself turning it back off and just continueing with the Omnia :D

I had to use my Nokia E71 for 2 days in the summer after having used the Lumia 900 for a couple of months and I was really shocked how much we advanced and how much we rely on our smartphones today.

So I really see where you are coming from. :)

Xsever

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I think MS had to put a lot of resources on the kernel aspect of WP8 and ran out of time for other stuff. Maybe the next update will fix it (*sigh* I know, here we go again!).

This might end up being very very true. The future is looking bright is all I can say.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
FYI, I loved the daylight driving video. That is the most stable video I've seen coming from a cell phone camera. Where you holding the phone with your right hand? That was incredible!

Xsever

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
FYI, I loved the daylight driving video. That is the most stable video I've seen coming from a cell phone camera. Where you holding the phone with your right hand? That was incredible!

Yes I was. Those bumps in the road were really significant yet you barely notice them in the video!! :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion