First Pictures of 920 | Rogers Canada

Xsever

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Does it have the new Nokia Music (or is it available in Canada?) with equalizer and such preloaded?
Is the multitasking better in your opinion?

And congrats!

No Nokia Music in Canada. Can't find it in Store. Same for Skype. can't find it in Store.

Multitasking is definitely way better than WP7.5 and that's even before the devs took advantage of the Fast Switching feature in WP8. Multitasking is going to only get better!

Xsever

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I just put a Fido sim card in it and it worked and I was able to make a phone call and even got 3G (since Fido doesn't have LTE yet).

Therefore, the early batch of Lumia 920s sold by Rogers are FACTORY UNLOCKED!

bluescreenerr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I live in Detroit, which Windsor store did you pick up your phone from? I called three or four of them on Wednesday and no one had one. Do you think they'll sell me one off contract, full price even if I don't have a Rogers account?

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for posting all those pics. It seems like the 920 has a brighter LED light.. nice.

Just one thing, make sure your lens is clean.. those long light trails shouldn't be there if the lens is clean :)

Xsever

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I live in Detroit, which Windsor store did you pick up your phone from? I called three or four of them on Wednesday and no one had one. Do you think they'll sell me one off contract, full price even if I don't have a Rogers account?
Devonshire mall.

Thank you for posting all those pics. It seems like the 920 has a brighter LED light.. nice.

Just one thing, make sure your lens is clean.. those long light trails shouldn't be there if the lens is clean :)
Will do but lens looks clean.

ashykat

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for answering everyone's questions while we (maybe not so patiently) wait for it to be released here in the states. I know you only have a day or so of use out of it, but so far do you believe it was money well spent? Do you notice enough improvement to warrant paying full retail (contract free) or even on contract pricing?

I keep wrestling with thoughts of wanting it ASAP but at the same time part of me wants to wait and sort of see what happens; if developers start making better versions of their apps to take advantage of the new OS and kernel, etc.

EvanKr

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
So happy. One of the Rogers stores in Winnipeg got 2 in today and I managed to snag the last one. Sooooo niceeee.

DAMN YOU! I called Rogers at Polo Park earlier today and they told me that somebody had grabbed the last one. However, I did manage to get out to a store yesterday and try one out.

My impressions? Well, it's definitely built well. First impressions in the hand were very positive, and even though it bumbs the display size up a bit from the 900, it seems about the same size. However, it definitely does have a little heft to it. I like the black buttons, the old chrome ones seemed cheap and these feel much better.

I gave WP8 a try, and it feels MUCH faster. WP7 was incredibly smooth, but lacked a bit in the speed department (opening apps, loading menus, etc). This just feels better, not so much more responsive, but just faster at opening things which is a huge bonus.

The super sensitive display does work, and yes, I tried it with gloves and it's fine. I didn't try keys or metalic objects as I didn't purchase it (I considered it, but didn't want to make a rushed decision), but it is more sensitive. I'm not sure how this translates into real works usefulness, but if you work a lot with gloves or live in a city like Winnipeg where you get almost 8 months of winter, it's a nice touch.

The camera is okay, but honestly not as stellar as I'd hoped. After Nokia announced it I lowered my expectations (who are we kidding, any brand will praise their own product whether it's amazing or a complete POS), but it's just not what I'd hoped for. I didn't have the chance to try some low light shots which I'm sure are quite good, but daytime shots looked over processed and at a lack of sharpness. I even compared a few shots taken of a lens testing chart that I brought in with the iP5 and GS3. I'm not sure if it's a result of over noise reduction of if it's just a duller lens, but sharpness wasn't what I expected. Maybe it's a bum model, but a little lackluster (still pretty comparable to the other phones though). What I CAN tell you however, is that OIS is amazing. If you'll be moving often or shooting in low light conditions when you need to take your shutter speed down, it's going to REALLY help. I was amazed at how well it works, even comparable to some of my VRII Nikkors. The flash is also extremely bright, and has an AF assist feature.

What else can I say? Well, I'm a little dissapointed that TellMe wasn't updated in WP8, to stay competitive with Siri and the excellent Google Now, MS should update it by 8.5 or 9. The new accent colours are nice (oh yeah, the screen's beautiful! Blacks are surprisingly deep for an LCD, but they probably won't be as nice as the ATIV's AMOLED), and high contrast mode is also pretty cool. I couldn't try out GPS, but like most apps, Nokia Drive launched surprisingly quick. Another addition to WP8 that bothered me about 7 is that you can tap the screen to start recording videos as opposed to the camera button, a small annoyance of mine about 7. I couldn't test LTE (no LTE in Winnipeg yet, yes Rogers, I'm glaring at you! We're quite a large city!), so i couldn't run any speed tests, but WiFi was lighting quick as I expected. I also couldn't try NFC or Wireless Charging, but I'm assuming that they work fine.

It's priced $100 less than the iPhone 5 on Rogers outright, but still packs a pretty hefty price tag at $600 + GST/PST (or whatever tax system you use in your country). Hopefully this will stay competitive with other devices such as the upcoming Nexus 4 at $300, Rogers or Nokia will need to market it well.

Overall, extremely positive first impressions. It's a nice device, and can compete or beats out most other high end phones, but I'm just worried that it's too hefty of a price tag. Most consumers don't know much about WP, and when they see it at a price the same as the GS3, they'll say, "why get the Nokia?", especially with the extremely low priced Nexus 4 coming. Don't get me wrong, it is a NICE device, but the marketing and promotions will need to be top notch. The rep that I spoke with was pretty knowledgeable about WP8 (something that I can't say about Telus reps), so good job Rogers and Nokia for that.

Hopefully my "first impressions" can help you make your decision easier. I can answer any other questions you guys may have :)

mrlinlee

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Xsever can you try watching a movie or a video in youtube on the device to see if there are letter boxing or if the whole video utilities the XVGA screen on L920?

spiff_p239

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
They aren't separate no. I just tried this for you.

Put the phone in Ring+Vibrate, started a movie on MetroTube, and called my phone. The video muted and the phone rang with a volume that matched the volume I had on the video.

Only way to solve this is if I had my phone on vibrate, it would have vibrated for the call and made no sound.

Hope this answers your questions.

I find it ridiculous that we still don't have separate volume levels for various items. I like to have my ringer volume at the highest but really dislike the idea of constantly having to adjust the level if I choose to play a game or watch a movie. You'd think that this would be common sense.

Does anyone know if this would be an easy change to make on an OS level?

kevin1510

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I just put a Fido sim card in it and it worked and I was able to make a phone call and even got 3G (since Fido doesn't have LTE yet).

Therefore, the early batch of Lumia 920s sold by Rogers are FACTORY UNLOCKED!
u have to be careful here, my suggestion is to put a Bell micro-sim into your Lumia 920 because I heard that some locked phone from Rogers can work with Fido sim card, so u may want to check that again. I think Fido has LTE because I had it on my phone (or maybe Fido doesnt have LTE in ur area) but its nice to know that it works with 3G too because Im gonna buy the 920 and I travel a lot, and not every place has LTE...

No Nokia Music in Canada. Can't find it in Store. Same for Skype. can't find it in Store.

really, no Skype...

Last edited:

bigpython

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
o my god. i live in windsor too. and i planed to get one tomorrow, cause i have exams in the last few days.
hope i can get the other one!!!!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb