11-06-2012 12:27 AM
85 1234
tools
    hey, congrats on your new phone, jealous German right here :)

which color did you pick, or more importantly for me, did you go with glossy or matte?
    if you went with the gloss finish, whats your impression of the "scratchability" of the polycarbonate? Do you believe it will get mico scratches over time like the screens of old phones did?
    MAERSK likes this.
    10-31-2012 09:58 AM
    Canceled my pre order with Best buy, sick of waiting.
    10-31-2012 10:01 AM

which color did you pick, or more importantly for me, did you go with glossy or matte?
    In Canada, the only option is black.
    10-31-2012 10:07 AM
    I got hands on with different colors except for the cyan and grey and I must say that despite loving the red, I dont think I can personally live with the glossyness. It just picks up every single fingerprint so that the back cover will be 100% covered by visible fingerprints. It also doesnt feel anywhere as nice in hand than the matter color.

So think that I will have to go with black, despite I really wanted a non-black phone cos black phones are so common and I like Nokia for it's colors.. Cyan isnt coming here at least during launch and I dont really like the cyan that much either.
    10-31-2012 10:08 AM

if you went with the gloss finish, whats your impression of the "scratchability" of the polycarbonate? Do you believe it will get mico scratches over time like the screens of old phones did?
    Aww the wittle German bunny is all jealous and cutesy Asking about if his wittle claws will scratch the phone <3

lol >_>
    10-31-2012 11:01 AM
    Just got back from Rogers, swapped out my device for a new one. Don't see any dead pixels (as of yet), and the volume rocker seems sturdier than my previous phone.

For questions:

- 01/30 isn't loud at all compared to 900
    - I got the black colour
    - Haven't found a way to set custom ringtones for contacts (I might have missed it, so don't count it out as of yet)
    - Speaker is loud and clear. The phone speaker for calls is also really loud and crisp
    - Oddly my phone only shows NOKIA Drive (not Drive+)
    - For low light pictures, feel free to check out my thread here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/lumia-920/200229.htm
    - I haven't loaded up any music on my phone, but I am eager too to figure out if a need for Stop The Music is required.. will get back to you on that, because that bothered me on 7.5
    tissotti likes this.
    10-31-2012 12:44 PM
    One more thing worth noting: You don't have to go through Zune to access photos, media, songs, etc. Even to put songs on your phone, you just plug the phone in and access it like a normal USB flash drive. Love that Microsoft went this route.
    jkrc717 likes this.
    10-31-2012 12:47 PM
    - I haven't loaded up any music on my phone, but I am eager too to figure out if a need for Stop The Music is required.. will get back to you on that, because that bothered me on 7.5
    Did you think Lumia 900 music quality was poor? If you thought so please tell how you feel about the music quality via 3.5mm jack on Lumia 920.

Interested also to hear do your Lumia 920 have the newest Nokia music with the equalizer and such.
    10-31-2012 12:53 PM
    1)Yes, please let me know about if we need to use Stop the Music app for the music player...that really annoyed me
    2) how about headphones, is it load? I have to set mine to 25/30 to hear anything when I go jogging
    3)custom alerts for text/email would be great....never really liked any of the default sounds for them
    4) does the messaging app resume when you hit the messaging app button the homescreen? I hate it when I hit the messaging app it would take me to the list of threads instead of the last text message I had with my wife
    10-31-2012 12:56 PM
    Just got back from Rogers, swapped out my device for a new one. Don't see any dead pixels (as of yet), and the volume rocker seems sturdier than my previous phone.

For questions:

- 01/30 isn't loud at all compared to 900
    - I got the black colour
    - Haven't found a way to set custom ringtones for contacts (I might have missed it, so don't count it out as of yet)
    - Speaker is loud and clear. The phone speaker for calls is also really loud and crisp
    - Oddly my phone only shows NOKIA Drive (not Drive+)
    - For low light pictures, feel free to check out my thread here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/lumia-920/200229.htm
    If you edit a contact in 7.5 there is an option for ringtone.
    10-31-2012 12:58 PM
    Congrats! I'm considering it too.
    I would like you to ask you about some things(issues for me), I don't like on my omnia 7 too much.
    1. Is to possible to assign other search engine app to search button(like Google)?
    2. Is it possible to disable contact & calendar synchronization with live account?
    3. Is there any protection to avoid pushing back and especially search button when any apps are running?
    Thanks for your experience. Sry for buggy english :).
    10-31-2012 02:05 PM
    Congrats! I'm considering it too.
    I would like you to ask you about some things(issues for me), I don't like on my omnia 7 too much.
    1. Is to possible to assign other search engine app to search button(like Google)?
    2. Is it possible to disable contact & calendar synchronization with live account?
    3. Is there any protection to avoid pushing back and especially search button when any apps are running?
    Thanks for your experience. Sry for buggy english :).
    To 2:

you can not deactivate it completely, but you can set it not to sync/show
    - in your contacts, filter contacts and uncheck "Windows Live".
    - in the calendar you can select your windows live calendar not to show

Not to best way, but maybe a small help for your Omnia :)
    10-31-2012 02:17 PM
    Congrats!
    I was just curious about the vibrate rattle you mentioned, any chance you could post a video to hear the sound? My 900 rattles horribly and it drives me nuts. Does it rattle when you simply shake the phone?
    Also a big question for me: is there FM radio anywhere!? It's kind of a must have for me, but I keep looking and all I see is no mention of FM radio on any Windows 8 phones.
    10-31-2012 02:18 PM
    Does black look as deep and dark as it does on the 900's AMOLED screen?

That's one thing I love about the 900 that I was kind of wondering about on the 920 since they went to IPS...
    10-31-2012 02:24 PM
    Does black look as deep and dark as it does on the 900's AMOLED screen?

That's one thing I love about the 900 that I was kind of wondering about on the 920 since they went to IPS...
    I'll second socialcarpet's question. The deep blacks really set the 900's screen apart. How are the blacks on the 920?
    10-31-2012 02:31 PM
    To 2:

you can not deactivate it completely, but you can set it not to sync/show
    - in your contacts, filter contacts and uncheck "Windows Live".
    - in the calendar you can select your windows live calendar not to show

Not to best way, but maybe a small help for your Omnia :)
    Thanks for your suggestion, I've tried it again few minutes ago, but it does not help me too much :). If i disable showing a live calendar, I'm not able to use it at all. In case I add any appointment the calendar is automatically enabled again. Same for contacts, if I filter live contacts out i don't see almost any of them, even no SIM ones. I just forgot to mention, that these problems are relevant, because me and my brother have phones associated with same live account to avoid duplicite marketplace purchases... Just LMAO...
    10-31-2012 03:05 PM
    Thanks for your suggestion, I've tried it again few minutes ago, but it does not help me too much :). If i disable showing a live calendar, I'm not able to use it at all. In case I add any appointment the calendar is automatically enabled again. Same for contacts, if I filter live contacts out i don't see almost any of them, even no SIM ones. I just forgot to mention, that these problems are relevant, because me and my brother have phones associated with same live account to avoid duplicite marketplace purchases... Just LMAO...
    Do you have another account with calendar and contacts available?

For example Google or so? Or just another live account.

I just tried it with my Calendar, and it selects automatically the next available Account if I disable the accounts I don't want (for example the main calendar of the main live account.

I am not 100% sure about the Contacts, but I think it should be the same, I just tried filtering my "live" contacts out and when I try to add another contact, it is to my Google account automatically!

I think it is not possible to use no (online) account at all, but for your case, make 2 live accounts (as secondary!) and one of you use each one of them :) For the calendar you could just make two calendars on calendar.live.com and each use of it it.

Hope it helps!

Edit: You can copy the Contacts of the Windows Live account by exporting it (online on mail.live.com at export) and then importing it with your new account (another hotmail, google or whatever account which supports contacts sync)
    Last edited by jaygss; 10-31-2012 at 04:38 PM. Reason: adding stuff
    10-31-2012 04:33 PM
    One more thing worth noting: You don't have to go through Zune to access photos, media, songs, etc. Even to put songs on your phone, you just plug the phone in and access it like a normal USB flash drive. Love that Microsoft went this route.

If you have any questions about the phone feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them.
    THAT'S AWESOME. I was worried that you would only be able to access cards and not the memory on the phone.

I do have a question.. alarms. can you use a piece of music to wake up to an alarm?
    10-31-2012 05:34 PM
    Do you have another account with calendar and contacts available?

For example Google or so? Or just another live account.

I just tried it with my Calendar, and it selects automatically the next available Account if I disable the accounts I don't want (for example the main calendar of the main live account.

I am not 100% sure about the Contacts, but I think it should be the same, I just tried filtering my "live" contacts out and when I try to add another contact, it is to my Google account automatically!

I think it is not possible to use no (online) account at all, but for your case, make 2 live accounts (as secondary!) and one of you use each one of them :) For the calendar you could just make two calendars on calendar.live.com and each use of it it.

Hope it helps!

Edit: You can copy the Contacts of the Windows Live account by exporting it (online on mail.live.com at export) and then importing it with your new account (another hotmail, google or whatever account which supports contacts sync)
    Thank you jaygss, you helped a lot. It behaves exatly as you describe it. The problem was that goolgle and facebook calendars were enabled in calendar setting but the calendar sync was disabled in google/facebook account settings, so that was the reason why the phone was reenabling live calendar over and over again. With contacts it works also. I will try move all our contacts to separate google accounts as you described. Thanks once again.
    10-31-2012 05:40 PM
    I have a question...

What is the file system formatted as? NTFS or FAT?

Thanks,
    Pez
    11-01-2012 09:58 AM
    I'm pretty sure unity04 got rid of his 920 after getting two defective units in a row, per http://forums.windowscentral.com/lumia-920/200306.htm. Therefore, I doubt he'll answer these questions.
    11-01-2012 10:11 AM
    I really can't wait to get one of these.

I've never really cared about a phone as much as I do this one.
    11-02-2012 02:35 AM
    Does the home screen switch when in landscape? That to me is such a huge fail on WP currently.
    11-02-2012 10:12 AM
    As bad as who says? I haven't read any legit reviews.
    I read the cnet uk review this morning the writer was claiming 4hr battery life. He listed the things he was doing but it still caught me off guard not enough still getting the phone of course :)

Nokia Lumia 920 Review | Mobile Phones | CNET UK
    11-02-2012 01:08 PM
    Couldn't you just create different calendars on the same account then on one phone turn off his calendar in the settings (not the account, the specific calendar) and vice versa on his phone?
    11-02-2012 01:46 PM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD