NOKIA Lumia 920: AMAZING phone! Got mine today

Cubara

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Congrats! I'm considering it too.
I would like you to ask you about some things(issues for me), I don't like on my omnia 7 too much.
1. Is to possible to assign other search engine app to search button(like Google)?
2. Is it possible to disable contact & calendar synchronization with live account?
3. Is there any protection to avoid pushing back and especially search button when any apps are running?
Thanks for your experience. Sry for buggy english :).

jaygss

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Congrats! I'm considering it too.
I would like you to ask you about some things(issues for me), I don't like on my omnia 7 too much.
1. Is to possible to assign other search engine app to search button(like Google)?
2. Is it possible to disable contact & calendar synchronization with live account?
3. Is there any protection to avoid pushing back and especially search button when any apps are running?
Thanks for your experience. Sry for buggy english :).

To 2:

you can not deactivate it completely, but you can set it not to sync/show
- in your contacts, filter contacts and uncheck "Windows Live".
- in the calendar you can select your windows live calendar not to show

Not to best way, but maybe a small help for your Omnia :)

Niavlys77

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Campared to Lumia 900

Congrats!
I was just curious about the vibrate rattle you mentioned, any chance you could post a video to hear the sound? My 900 rattles horribly and it drives me nuts. Does it rattle when you simply shake the phone?
Also a big question for me: is there FM radio anywhere!? It's kind of a must have for me, but I keep looking and all I see is no mention of FM radio on any Windows 8 phones.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Does black look as deep and dark as it does on the 900's AMOLED screen?

That's one thing I love about the 900 that I was kind of wondering about on the 920 since they went to IPS...

Niavlys77

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Does black look as deep and dark as it does on the 900's AMOLED screen?

That's one thing I love about the 900 that I was kind of wondering about on the 920 since they went to IPS...
I'll second socialcarpet's question. The deep blacks really set the 900's screen apart. How are the blacks on the 920?

Cubara

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
To 2:

you can not deactivate it completely, but you can set it not to sync/show
- in your contacts, filter contacts and uncheck "Windows Live".
- in the calendar you can select your windows live calendar not to show

Not to best way, but maybe a small help for your Omnia :)
Thanks for your suggestion, I've tried it again few minutes ago, but it does not help me too much :). If i disable showing a live calendar, I'm not able to use it at all. In case I add any appointment the calendar is automatically enabled again. Same for contacts, if I filter live contacts out i don't see almost any of them, even no SIM ones. I just forgot to mention, that these problems are relevant, because me and my brother have phones associated with same live account to avoid duplicite marketplace purchases... Just LMAO...

jaygss

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your suggestion, I've tried it again few minutes ago, but it does not help me too much :). If i disable showing a live calendar, I'm not able to use it at all. In case I add any appointment the calendar is automatically enabled again. Same for contacts, if I filter live contacts out i don't see almost any of them, even no SIM ones. I just forgot to mention, that these problems are relevant, because me and my brother have phones associated with same live account to avoid duplicite marketplace purchases... Just LMAO...

Do you have another account with calendar and contacts available?

For example Google or so? Or just another live account.

I just tried it with my Calendar, and it selects automatically the next available Account if I disable the accounts I don't want (for example the main calendar of the main live account.

I am not 100% sure about the Contacts, but I think it should be the same, I just tried filtering my "live" contacts out and when I try to add another contact, it is to my Google account automatically!

I think it is not possible to use no (online) account at all, but for your case, make 2 live accounts (as secondary!) and one of you use each one of them :) For the calendar you could just make two calendars on calendar.live.com and each use of it it.

Hope it helps!

Edit: You can copy the Contacts of the Windows Live account by exporting it (online on mail.live.com at export) and then importing it with your new account (another hotmail, google or whatever account which supports contacts sync)

Last edited:

graigsmith

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
One more thing worth noting: You don't have to go through Zune to access photos, media, songs, etc. Even to put songs on your phone, you just plug the phone in and access it like a normal USB flash drive. Love that Microsoft went this route.

If you have any questions about the phone feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them.

THAT'S AWESOME. I was worried that you would only be able to access cards and not the memory on the phone.

I do have a question.. alarms. can you use a piece of music to wake up to an alarm?

Cubara

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Do you have another account with calendar and contacts available?

For example Google or so? Or just another live account.

I just tried it with my Calendar, and it selects automatically the next available Account if I disable the accounts I don't want (for example the main calendar of the main live account.

I am not 100% sure about the Contacts, but I think it should be the same, I just tried filtering my "live" contacts out and when I try to add another contact, it is to my Google account automatically!

I think it is not possible to use no (online) account at all, but for your case, make 2 live accounts (as secondary!) and one of you use each one of them :) For the calendar you could just make two calendars on calendar.live.com and each use of it it.

Hope it helps!

Edit: You can copy the Contacts of the Windows Live account by exporting it (online on mail.live.com at export) and then importing it with your new account (another hotmail, google or whatever account which supports contacts sync)
Thank you jaygss, you helped a lot. It behaves exatly as you describe it. The problem was that goolgle and facebook calendars were enabled in calendar setting but the calendar sync was disabled in google/facebook account settings, so that was the reason why the phone was reenabling live calendar over and over again. With contacts it works also. I will try move all our contacts to separate google accounts as you described. Thanks once again.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site

Couldn't you just create different calendars on the same account then on one phone turn off his calendar in the settings (not the account, the specific calendar) and vice versa on his phone?

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I'll second socialcarpet's question. The deep blacks really set the 900's screen apart. How are the blacks on the 920?

The 900s blacks are way darker than the 920s. The 920 is an IPS screen so it's a bit lighter. The one thing I like about the 900 is the super blacks. I may pick up the 822 because of this.

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Deep, inky blacks are great. Exaggerated colors, moderate brightness and blue-ish whites are not.

I copped a 900 today to help me with the wait. It's cool, but I'm glad they're losing the AMOLED for their flagship.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel