Pictures/Videos taken with your 920!

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
It's nice to see some photos from someone who knows about composition and how to take a photo.

Thank you.. its kind of off topic, but I was just kind of trying to back up my statement about the DSLRs.

I've been shooting mainly with my cell phones for about two years, and here is the result for anyone that is interested:

Mobile Phone camera example photos - Esato

Flickr:

Pics are mostly from my N8 and my 808, and 99% are original jpeg files from the phones.. no post processing of any kind.

I used to think that I needed a DSLR, but when I got my N8 in 2010 I slowly realized that a DSLR exceeds my talent and needs by quite a big margin. There is no way I could get 100% out of a DSLR, but I am pretty sure that I got the last drop out of the N8 and now I am working on the same for the 808.

And.. I would argue over this with anyone, a modern cell phone is probably more than enough for most of us out there. You don't need professional/semi pro equipment for day to day/travel/fun photography..

This website is not very popular, but in the photo section there you can see that people have been using their cell phones for photography for a long, long time.. there some really cool shots with all sorts of cell phones:

http://www.esato.com/phonephotos/index.php?toplist=yes

That being said I am really looking forward to the 920... I feel like a lot can be done around the low light performance, especially some motion blur, etc. :)

That's really good
My hope is that in the near future, with nano technologies, we can see a full frame sensor on these phones. I don't need to change lenses, I'd do just fine with a 12mm-28mm nano lens :)
I know.. I really hope we can see some major developments around the sensors and the optics because that seems to be the "bottleneck" at the moment.

Nano is indeed very interesting, but I also remember Nokia filing some patents for graphene-based camera sensors which sounds very exciting as well.

Nokia graphene camera tech tips true PureView without the bulk - SlashGear

But don't forget that at the end of the day, it has to make sense financially for a corporation to go after tech like that. In fact.. even tho the 808 is more conventional in that sense, I am still not sure if they are making any money from all the R&D that went into the project. I guess it will pay off in the long run.

Last edited:

mrtapout1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

mrtapout1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
CS20121115011213.jpg
CS20121115011315.jpg
CS20121115011343.jpg
CS20121115011504.jpg
WP_20121114_078.jpg

uktivo

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I would love to contribute but neither of my cameras work. Going to return it to clove but they are out of stock at the moment

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
And.. I would argue over this with anyone, a modern cell phone is probably more than enough for most of us out there. You don't need professional/semi pro equipment for day to day/travel/fun photography.

I totally agree with this. IMO the best camera is the one you have on you. Since your phone is always with you, you might as well get the one with the best camera for your needs and learn to live within the confines of that device. I would miss out on so many moments if I had to bust out an SLR camera every time I wanted to take a shot. A point and shoot camera has always been my camera of choice for the size factor, and even then it is not as ready as a phone for any moment if you are relaxing around the house or out with friends. About the only thing I miss is the optical zoom of a point and shoot. I hope they do release an 808 type phone running Windows Phone someday for that zoom capability.

Last edited:

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I've uploaded a few more pics. Some outside shots real quick after work. I also took a few inside shots. Nothing special. All of these are auto settings. Flash off, focus assist light on.Some 4:3 and some 16:9. I also switched up between using the shutter button and tapping the screen. I will be uploading more pictures this weekend when I have more time to find some cool areas.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=1F8780E38DE07422!175&authkey=!APGToEqTf-YW9hU
Do you do any post processing (sharpening) to any of these before you upload them? All of these show way more grain than my pictures when viewed at original size and that is almost always indicative of post processing (sharpening usually)

Last edited:

philharmonik

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Do you do any post processing (sharpening) to any of these before you upload them? All of these show way more grain than my pictures when viewed at original size and that is almost always indicative of post processing (sharpening usually)

For some of the photos yes. The last pictures starting with parking lot and there on are all full auto, no post processing. I like to tweak photos and play around with settings of the camera. Thats the only way you will get really good photos. The 920 is a great point and shoot camera, but its fully capable of making professional looking shots if you set your white balance, exposure, ISO properly.

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
some comparison shots (night) with ISO settings on AUTO and 200 ISO. Shots come out even better when you make slight adjustments
Click to view quoted image

Those photos show how much auto settings are off from ideal. There is actually too much light and lowering ISO makes photos look much better.

Have you tried how photos look if you keep high ISO but lower exposure time?

mrtapout1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Those photos show how much auto settings are off from ideal. There is actually too much light and lowering ISO makes photos look much better.

Have you tried how photos look if you keep high ISO but lower exposure time?

Yes I tried it and found the lowering ISO had the most noticeable improvement. Keeping ISO on auto during the day seems fine. ALso, lowering the ISO, made the pictures sharper and with less noise.

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Thank you.. its kind of off topic, but I was just kind of trying to back up my statement about the DSLRs.

I've been shooting mainly with my cell phones for about two years, and here is the result for anyone that is interested:

Mobile Phone camera example photos - Esato

Flickr:

Pics are mostly from my N8 and my 808, and 99% are original jpeg files from the phones.. no post processing of any kind.

I used to think that I needed a DSLR, but when I got my N8 in 2010 I slowly realized that a DSLR exceeds my talent and needs by quite a big margin. There is no way I could get 100% out of a DSLR, but I am pretty sure that I got the last drop out of the N8 and now I am working on the same for the 808.

And.. I would argue over this with anyone, a modern cell phone is probably more than enough for most of us out there. You don't need professional/semi pro equipment for day to day/travel/fun photography..

first of all, very nice photos. Beautiful composition. YOU need a DSLR. Every one of your photos would benefit greatly from a DSLR. Quite a few of those shots would look great framed and displayed in the home....especially if they had been shot with a DSLR. You just get more more flexibility in shooting choices, better optics, dyanamic range, cleaner DOF, etc. That can't be argued.

That said, everything you shot with your phone(s) blows away what most people can produce from a DSLR (I'm always beating up a friend to stop showing me his "pics" from his DSLR and show me some damn PHOTOS), so your point is taken. I also agree that most of the shots taken with a modern cell phone (choose your phone) suits the needs of most folks. However, it's obvious that the 920 does excel over the competition in low-light shots and falls behind in daytime shots (bring on the patch!).

good job man!

luckylifo

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site

yunchikan

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
how did you post the cinemagraph vid?

I just upload the picture on SkyDrive straight from the phone's pictures hub.
Open the SkyDrive app or the website to share the image to public or share by creating the viewing link.
Click on view original (only visible on the website) and copy that url and post it anywhere you like :]
This works with all photos on SkyDrive. :]
A little work but it works. XD

I dont have any noteworthy pictures to post, but I wanted to ask and see if anyone here has an alternative to photobucket that would fit my needs. Here's what I want:

Automatic upload option (I'm aware that skydrive does this)
Ability to embed pictures for others to see using my mobile device

There are a bunch of apps, Photobucket included, that do this on other operating systems and I'd really like to be able to take a pic and post it on a forum without having to use my PC. Even if I had to upload the pic manually, I'd just really like having the ability to embed on a message board. Does anyone have any input?
You can use imgur. Or look at how I use SkyDrive above (which takes a bit of work).
There's imgur uploader apps on the marketplace but you will have to upload the picture one by one manually.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo