Pictures/Videos taken with your 920!

sanders2232

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Even the pics that I take on auto, do you think they are on par with the other pics in this thread ? Once I take the pic, viewing it in the original size reveals a lot of grains n lack of sharpness. If you give me some pointers as to what all I can try that would be great. I have just started playing around with the different options in the photo settings.But video settings seem to lack them or maybe I am missing something . Are the pics in this thread straight out of the camera or do they have some post-op work done on them ?

View attachment 27434
View attachment 27435
View attachment 27436
View attachment 27437
View attachment 27438
View attachment 27439

Have you received the Portico update yet?

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,
A general question. I tried taking some videos on my 920 and the OIS is just amazing. However, the videos seem to be dull and not 'bright'. I compared mine with an S2 and it seems to get in more light. So are there any video settings other than choosing white balance n the resolution ? I have default settings for both, so does the S2 except video quality which was set to 'Superfine' in S2. Some of the videos posted in this thread look brilliant. So was wondering if there are some settings that I have to do and have missed. Or are there any camera apps that is recommended. My knowledge on photography is quite poor :)

Even the pics that I take on auto, do you think they are on par with the other pics in this thread ? Once I take the pic, viewing it in the original size reveals a lot of grains n lack of sharpness. If you give me some pointers as to what all I can try that would be great. I have just started playing around with the different options in the photo settings.But video settings seem to lack them or maybe I am missing something . Are the pics in this thread straight out of the camera or do they have some post-op work done on them ?

View attachment 27434
View attachment 27435
View attachment 27436
View attachment 27437
View attachment 27438
View attachment 27439

Your pictures look fine to me. If you pixel peep at 100% magnification, you will find some imperfection. It's like that for all cameras.

Regarding video, without seeing your sample, it's hard to comment. But I've noticed 920's exposure is maybe a bit lower than iphone or GS3 in comparison videos on youtube. But I didn't think it was necessarily bad. I thought 920's color looked better. Others kind of looked washed out (too bright) to me.

sabbynair

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Your pictures look fine to me. If you pixel peep at 100% magnification, you will find some imperfection. It's like that for all cameras.

Regarding video, without seeing your sample, it's hard to comment. But I've noticed 920's exposure is maybe a bit lower than iphone or GS3 in comparison videos on youtube. But I didn't think it was necessarily bad. I thought 920's color looked better. Others kind of looked washed out (too bright) to me.

Here are the 2 links. In the video for 920, as I walk, it seems to be getting darker/lighter in the right corner. It seems to be constantly adjusting the brightness. But in the other one, the brightness seems to be the same throughout. In NL920, continuous focus in ON and white balance is AUTO and its a 1080p video. Let me know your thoughts on this. Somehow, the difference in brightness seems to be lesser after uploading the video.

S2 :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhD4Vx_71NI&feature=youtu.be
NL920 :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8vaosG6758

Last edited:

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Here are the 2 links. In the video for 920, as I walk, it seems to be getting darker/lighter in the right corner. It seems to be constantly adjusting the brightness. But in the other one, the brightness seems to be the same throughout. In NL920, continuous focus in ON and white balance is AUTO and its a 1080p video. Let me know your thoughts on this. Somehow, the difference in brightness seems to be lesser after uploading the video.

S2 :
VideoSample S2 - YouTube
NL920 :
VideoSample NL920 - YouTube

I see some difference in brightness but nothing majorly wrong with either one. It's just the way auto exposure is done. This is a tough scene to set exposure because it has both very bright part on the left and shadow area on the right. Samsung decided to weigh the shadow area more so it tried to make it brighter. In the process it lost details on the bright white wall on the left. Sky is dull and somewhat blown out also. Looks like Nokia tried to avoid that by lowering the overall brightness. You get a little darker shadow area but you can still see the white wall details and sky is kept nice in blue. I personally like Nokia's take on this one.

There's nothing wrong with your camera. Just enjoy it. And yeah, if you do comparison, always do it on the same screen, preferably a color calibrated one. Otherwise you can't judge them properly.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Not to mention the stabilization. :) wow what a difference.

Yup.

One more comment on the video above. Given a choice, it's usually better to underexpose a bit than overexpose. In that sense, Nokia is doing a nice job. The reason to prefer underexposure is because you can pump up the gain in post processing on your PC if you want some additional brightness. But if you have overexposed video (or jpeg picture for that matter), blown out highlights are clipped and gone forever and you can't recover them in post processing.

mrtapout1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Nice quality :)

I guess you have Portico installed? Still waiting on that update.

Thank you, and yes, portico installed.

Here are some pics Ive edited through Thumba, Pictures Lab, and Lazy Lens

PicturesLab_B_W_FX_2013-01-23_16-22-02.jpg

Thumba_2013-01-23_16-28-41_jpg.jpg

MysticalLazyLens20130111081915hd-1.jpg

PicturesLab_Vintage_FX_2013-01-11_09-04-30.jpg

WP_20130111_01420130111113024.jpg

WP_20130111_00820130111162714-1.jpg

OldPhotoLazyLens20130116083345hd.jpg

PicturesLab_None_FX_2013-01-16_14-41-50.jpg

PicturesLab_TiltShift_FX_2013-01-16_13-45-59.jpg

Members online