920 or 8X, can't decide

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
35454632-2_610x407.jpg

From The Verge:
When I look at the deluge of smartphones flooding my desk, the only one I care to pick up and play with today is the Windows Phone 8X. Not the new iPhone, not the quad-core Galaxy Note... not even Nokia's Lumia 920, which is almost trying too hard with its laundry list of extras and enhancements.

From Cnet:
First, the 8X is more contoured and lighter than the Lumia 920; the latter is quite heavy and a solid brick of a phone, and the 8X is easier to pick up and pocket.

8X
ferrari-enzo-blue.jpg

TheHomer.jpg

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
After having handled both an 8X and Lumia 920 demo units in store today (London) I must say that I am leaning towards the 8X. It feels so much better in hand as opposed to the Lumia which feels far too wide for my liking.

I'm using a Galaxy Nexus at the moment so overall the 8X is more narrow and shorter plus I can easily afford to purchase this sim free when it comes out.

This is my first post on these forums and I hope I don't get crucified by the Nokia fellowship.

Where was this in London?

jonesyvoor

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I am in the same boat. Honestly it may come down to which one is released first! I love the features and look of the Lumia but I do wish it had a slimmer profile. I also love the white phone which is only available for the Lumia.

To further complicate things I am a Verizon user so all things being equal I?d rather select one of the Verizon offerings to avoid ETF. Ugh.

Quite frankly I?d prefer the Samsung phone but who knows what this Odyssey is all about and it sounds like that won?t be coming until Christmas time so I can?t wait for that.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
As for 60hz screen again for me that's a gimmick I have never noticed 30hz to be slow probably because phone screen's are small and also I never watch films on my phone so I doubt I would get the benefit of a higher refresh rate.

If you've ever tried to watch a movie with fast motion, you'll appreciate a higher refresh rate because you'll get far less blur. It's not a gimmick.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Had the chance to hold both of them. The 8X felt nicer, more refined. The 920 feels a bit excessive - it's literally bursting at the seams with new, boundary-pushing technology. Depends what you want really; both were very impressive handsets. The 920 impressed me with all of it's gadgets and gizmos, but it's the 8X that's really stuck in my mind. It just felt like it might be the nicer handset to live with - sleeker. Interestingly, I never gave the 8X a second thought until now. I barely noticed it's launch - couldn't care less what HTC were offering. Holding it in my hands has changed my attitude somewhat.

On paper, obviously there's no contest, but I there's just something about the 8X...

See, that's what I'm thinking. There's just something about the 8x that I like better that I can't put my finger on.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I guess my question might be, why do you want an opinion of which device is better after removing storage, camera, and nokia apps from the equation? Aren't those part of the decision making process? If you're asking which device feels better in the hand, isn't that a subjective question that only you can answer?

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Both are good looking phones, with the 920 being a little bigger in size and weight. On that front I think it's up to personal preference.

HTC has let me down greatly in the past with being lazy on updating flaws with their phones. Once they release a phone it's like they stop supporting it 5 months later. Nokia tends to provide more support throughout the lifetime of a device. Not to mention that Nokia has been coming out with some good apps of their own.

corsica

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
the 8X also got criticized for problems in ergonomics: it is unusually tall for a4.3inch device, yet its lock button is located on the top, rather than on the side. Although I don't mind big phones, hitting the lock button is something that shouldn't be strenous since it's done so often. This alone already puts the 920 ahead of the 8X for me

Stadifer

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Me thinks the only real reason you go 8X vs. 920 is for the smaller phone size. The 8X is smaller in every way vs. the 920.

I debated the idea of a smaller easier to use phone (I don't have giant hands that most flagship phones require these days including the 920) vs. the bigger 920. At the end of the day I'm tired of the tiny screen on my 4S and want the extra real estate.

I don't think you can remove the superior screen, camera, and Nokia apps from the equation when comparing the two phones. That is what makes the 920 vastly superior to the 8X.

Stadifer

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
the 8X also got criticized for problems in ergonomics: it is unusually tall for a4.3inch device, yet its lock button is located on the top, rather than on the side. Although I don't mind big phones, hitting the lock button is something that shouldn't be strenous since it's done so often. This alone already puts the 920 ahead of the 8X for me

I think the ergo problems are going to be just as funky withe 920 as the 8X. They are big phones and for most humans with normal sized hands won't work with single hand use.

vtective

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
After reading a few reviews dissing the black levels on the 8X, I'm going to go for the Lumia 920. With black being such a huge part of the OS, I can't imagine being happy with greyish tones. Especially coming from AMOLED.

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
If you've ever tried to watch a movie with fast motion, you'll appreciate a higher refresh rate because you'll get far less blur. It's not a gimmick.

To me watching a film on a phone is pointless when I could watch it on my big led 3d tv but each to their own.

Its pretty obvious that most of the people in this thread will say Lumia but since most of the specs are mute so really just go for the one you like the look and feel of more.

corsica

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think the ergo problems are going to be just as funky withe 920 as the 8X. They are big phones and for most humans with normal sized hands won't work with single hand use.

true, the 920 isn't small in any way, but especially in large phones it surely makes more sense to put the lock button on the side. check the 8X review on the verge and see how Vlad has to shuffel the phone to reach the button at the top.

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Android and Iphone are full of Gimmicks. Retina Display, Quad core etc.. thats why pple want.. Not just of your phone looks good. They want to know how many cores etc etc..

So lets say you buy a HTC 8X and your buddy buys a 920. He is going to be saying to Android guys saying, i have OIS, I have super sensitive screen, Puremotion HD., Nokia apps, wire less charging etc etc.. and will be proud. And what can you say?. After being the laughing stock interms of hardware for so long, you still want to go with 8X which has no gimmicks other than beats..

Well Frankly I dont care about hard ware. But there comes a time when you would like to brag about your Phone just like you brag about your car.

So think before you buy. IF you want mediocre phone still not being able to fight andrion and Iphone army, go with 8X.

If you want some bragging rights, take the 920.

with the 8X you may still be branded as you both a copycat phone..:)..

Anyway the important thing is what you want and what you are happy with.. All the best.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte