920 or 8X, can't decide

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
REMOVING CAMERA, STORAGE AND NOKIA APPS FROM THE EQUATION, spec for spec they pair up well. I'm a little partial to the 8X design (especially the blue one), but i am "Apple swayed (sorry, about the only to put it!) by the Nokia because the Lumias have been the "it WP's" so far as it seems like Nokia has been thee essential WP experience putting it on the map.

So, I'm interested to see how other people would vote SOLEY BASED ON REMOVING THE THREE THINGS MENTIONED ABOVE because both are getting great reviews with Nokia getting just a hair more press as the "flagship WP phone." Most pro 8X pieces seem to be highlighting how the Phone feels better in hand over the Lumia. The comments from the readers generally support that as well.

The pro Lumia articles seem to touch on how the screen is better on the Lumia and the extra heft almost makes the phone feel better. My concern there is a ride bikes a lot and I don't want to feel a brick in my back pocket. Do the "extra pennies" make that much difference?

Let's not turn this into some nonsensical "TASTES GREAT! LESS FILLING!" post. So about how about:

Design: 8x or 920?
- weight
- shape
- texture
- button layout (I like the power button on top of the 8x, but I've also read the 8x buttons are too recessed.)
- colors

Screen: 8x or Lumia 920
8x seems to have better numbers, but does pure black beat that?

Overall WP Experience: 8x or Lumia 920

Which one would Jessica Alba want you to call her to be asked out with AND why? 8X or 920?!!

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
REMOVING CAMERA, STORAGE AND NOKIA APPS FROM THE EQUATION, spec for spec they pair up well. I'm a little partial to the 8X design (especially the blue one), but i am "Apple swayed (sorry, about the only to put it!) by the Nokia because the Lumias have been the "it WP's" so far as it seems like Nokia has been thee essential WP experience putting it on the map.

So, I'm interested to see how other people would vote SOLEY BASED ON REMOVING THE THREE THINGS MENTIONED ABOVE because both are getting great reviews with Nokia getting just a hair more press as the "flagship WP phone." Most pro 8X pieces seem to be highlighting how the Phone feels better in hand over the Lumia. The comments from the readers generally support that as well.

The pro Lumia articles seem to touch on how the screen is better on the Lumia and the extra heft almost makes the phone feel better. My concern there is a ride bikes a lot and I don't want to feel a brick in my back pocket. Do the "extra pennies" make that much difference?

Let's not turn this into some nonsensical "TASTES GREAT! LESS FILLING!" post. So about how about:

Design: 8x or 920?
- weight
- shape
- texture
- button layout (I like the power button on top of the 8x, but I've also read the 8x buttons are too recessed.)
- colors

Screen: 8x or Lumia 920
8x seems to have better numbers, but does pure black beat that?

Overall WP Experience: 8x or Lumia 920

Which one would Jessica Alba want you to call her to be asked out with AND why? 8X or 920?!!

The 920 has a bigger and better screen. Which also has super sensitive touch mode. You must have been hitting the bong with your boy Lincecum in preparation of the parade tomorrow.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
IMO:

Lumia 920 for these reasons (taking out your criteria, even though those are some of the biggest reasons why the Lumia is better to me...)

Screen:

I prefer the wider ratio of the Lumia resolution (768x1280 vs 720x1280)
Clear Black is nice for contrast/light mitigation
Pureview HD+ (60Hz refresh on the screen vs 30Hz on other screens)
Super Sensitive Touch (If it matters to you, can navigate with things like gloves on)

Wireless Charging bonus (Though rumor of the 8X maybe having this might make it a wash)

Accessories, it seems as though Nokia is lining up stuff with vendors and making some ground here. (While you can use them with any WP8 device, I suspect Nokia will lead the charge into more custom accessories that only fit their models as they grow in popularity, but that remains to be seen)

Durability, Nokia is pretty proven in this area, and HTC not so much from past device experience.

Support, Nokia seems once again to be superior to HTC in providing upgrades and support for their product over the life of the device in various ways. Though HTC is not bad in this area either.

Edit: Oh and the Ferrari red 920 to me is the most beautiful of the lineup hands down.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
If storage, camera and apps are out of the equation then the 8X by far. Since that's the things that Nokia has over it.

8X is quite frankly the better looking device.

leftturney

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Super sensitive touch, nokia maps, city view, classic snake, optical image stabilization and wireless charging. Those are the features that sold me on the 920.

8X has beats audio amp for some serious pounding music. Buuuut, if you are like me you may use bluetooth audio in your car and bluetooth headphones, which defeats the purpose of an internal amp.

As far as screens go the screen is .2" smaller on the 8x and has 61,440 less pixels on the screen. The 8X has a wide angle lens on the front for better video chat views.

Both are running the same processor. The 8x has 16 GB memory where the Lumia has 32GB. Both have 1GB system RAM.

Both shoot 1080p video.

The 920 has a bigger battery(2000mah vs 8x's 1800mah), which might even itself out given the greater screen size on the 920, but seeing as my first gen samsung has a 1500 mah and can barely last 3/4 of the day when used hard.. I'll take all the milliamp hours I can get.

8X is still a great phone with great specs , and tbh I think that you cannot go wrong with either one, but for me the most innovative features to be had are on the 920.

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Unless you take alot of night photos with your phone then the camera is pretty much a mute point because lets face most phone photos are only ever gonna be viewed on a phone or Facebook etc and therefore no one is really going to be able to tell the difference.

The HTC has better Audio, FFC, a screen which in some reviews is said to be sharper and better than the 920's. Its also lighter cheaper and includes a Notification Light which the Nokia leaves out.

The Nokia has wireless charging but I personally think its still just a gimmick since you have to pay out extra to use it and it takes longer. Nokia also has their own apps but its down to you if that's something that might sway you.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think if you don't include storage, apps, or camera, it will come down to the screen. Are the features of PureMotion HD+ compelling to you?
Super sensitive touch.
60mhz refresh rate for blur-free viewing (for watching action movies).
Best-in-class viewability in sunlight.

I'm not sure how the 8X's Beat's Audio stacks up to the Dolby equalizer in the Lumia. But I'm sure the bigger amplifier in the 8X does make a difference if you listen to music with wires.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I am opting to get the 8X for my wife and myself. First and foremost, there is cost. Neither of our usage habits dictate the need for as much storage as the 920 offers, so why spend the extra $50 per device? Also, I've used the camera on the One X enough to get a feel for how quick the dedicated Image Chip is. While we have a mini DSLR, we don't always have it with us, so we need a decent camera - one that is fast enough to focus on an 18 month old son who no longer likes to hold still for photos. The FFC, too is good for quick self shots of our son and ourselves. Plus, I use Skype a lot. I also consider the 8X to be more aesthetically pleasing than the 920, and the physical design should make it more comfortable to hold. Finally, as someone who plays music through headphones at times and through the speakers quite a bit, having Beats Audio as a physical amp and a software equalizer together (two, actually - one for the speaker and one for the headphones) is just one more perk.

Last edited:

ryeworth

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
The HTC has better Audio, FFC, a screen which in some reviews is said to be sharper and better than the 920's. Its also lighter cheaper and includes a Notification Light which the Nokia leaves out.

Why are people still saying this? The HTC WP8 does not have dedicated audio hardware (it's not permitted) as it does with Android. It does have additional Beats audio processing, but when Nokia has secured Dolby processing and equalisers (which are surely better than monster/beats) what difference does it make. In fact I'm wondering if the mainstream press haven't yet realised the Lumias have Dolby tech :confused:

As for the screens I think the resolutions and ppi's are so close that this is moot too, although the 920 is 60hz as opposed to 30hz.

Your other points I completely agree with though :)

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Why are people still saying this? The HTC WP8 does not have dedicated audio hardware (it's not permitted) as it does with Android. It does have additional Beats audio processing, but when Nokia has secured Dolby processing and equalisers (which are surely better than monster/beats) what difference does it make. In fact I'm wondering if the mainstream press haven't yet realised the Lumias have Dolby tech :confused:

As for the screens I think the resolutions and ppi's are so close that this is moot too, although the 920 is 60hz as opposed to 30hz.

Far as I know the 8X does actually have an amplifier. It won't do much good though since the problem with all these phones are not the strength of the signal but the really crappy DACs in them.

Satchef1

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Had the chance to hold both of them. The 8X felt nicer, more refined. The 920 feels a bit excessive - it's literally bursting at the seams with new, boundary-pushing technology. Depends what you want really; both were very impressive handsets. The 920 impressed me with all of it's gadgets and gizmos, but it's the 8X that's really stuck in my mind. It just felt like it might be the nicer handset to live with - sleeker. Interestingly, I never gave the 8X a second thought until now. I barely noticed it's launch - couldn't care less what HTC were offering. Holding it in my hands has changed my attitude somewhat.

On paper, obviously there's no contest, but I there's just something about the 8X...

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

I was not talking about beats tbh I was talking about the fact that the 8x has 2 amps and a increased voltage output and in reviews people are saying its some of the best audio they have heard from a phone that's not even with beats turned on which Is optional.

Lets face it people are more likely to notice a difference in sound quality than camera quality considering the 8x still has a very good camera and on a phone screen or pc screen or facebook you wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway, And yet the 920 still won't have a good enough camera for printing pics in large sizes so...

As for 60hz screen again for me that's a gimmick I have never noticed 30hz to be slow probably because phone screen's are small and also I never watch films on my phone so I doubt I would get the benefit of a higher refresh rate.

Last edited:

DonMorris

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
After having handled both an 8X and Lumia 920 demo units in store today (London) I must say that I am leaning towards the 8X. It feels so much better in hand as opposed to the Lumia which feels far too wide for my liking.

I'm using a Galaxy Nexus at the moment so overall the 8X is more narrow and shorter plus I can easily afford to purchase this sim free when it comes out.

This is my first post on these forums and I hope I don't get crucified by the Nokia fellowship.

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I was not talking about beats tbh I was talking about the fact that the 8x has 2 amps and a increased voltage output and in reviews people are saying its some of the best audio they have heard from a phone that's not even with beats turned on which Is optional.

Many people also say Logitech Z-5500 is a great sound system or that the Beats by Dr.Dre headphones are really good headphones, so trusting what average people say can be very misleading. For the average consumer "good sound" equals rumbeling bass that distorts everything. What headphones are they even using to test it?

You wont fix the problem with the DAC making a piss poor conversion from digital to analog by adding an EQ and more power.

thejoyofsobe

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
with those major differentiating features equalized, it would come down to how it feels in the hand which i wouldn't know until i try it out.

but really you can't divorce form and features so easily. generally speaking they don't make smart phones bigger and heavier without reason. the 920 is thicker because of the camera, bigger because of the screen and in some parts heavier because of a built-in wireless charging coil. without those features the Lumia 920 would be a daintier phone.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Go into a phone store and have a fondle.

Had a play with the 920, 820 & 8X in a shop today.

The 8X is a fantastic phone to hold, as is the 820. The 920 is large and definitely won't be to everyones taste, although i have the HTC HD7, which is pretty much exactly the same size as the 920, so it feels perfect to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss