11-12-2012 04:00 AM
298 ... 89101112
tools
    I think, most of the reviewers have not reviewed Nokia's camera extra apps like smartshoot/groupshoot. They are quite handy and do help a lot in certain situations.

I think, most of the reviewers are biased.
    This is sad for Nokia. The 920 was their money shot. If its a software issue then that's just poor quality control, if its a hardware issue then nokia is doomed. As far *** all of the reviews go probably 90% have stated the camera is t as good as we were led to believe but a few others have stated it was excellent. I hope the phones aren't released with some type of glitch that only affects certain devices . I was really looking forward to getting the 920 but once again apple with their god phone proves to have the best all around hardware out their. I know how they have done it but they did.
    I read in a review that theirs no special effects software or editing software for the 920. That's just bad. The Galaxy s3 , one x, even the 8x all have amazing built in editing and effects built in.
    MICROSOFT and Nokia need to step their game up. The launching of windows phone 8 along with the hardware was a mess . There's no way this platform can survive with these companies being foolish like this.
    11-03-2012 02:21 PM
    I don't think it matters, that engadget may have had "pre-release" software, because as they mentioned, images seemed better and sharper on the prototype units they were playing with a month ago... At least this is how I understood it.

Besides, correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Lumia/Windows Phone 8 phone have scene selection modes?

Can't they just put this aggressive noise reduction in night mode, while making it less in automatic mode? It seems to be a problem with HTC 8x as well, as I had a look at the review pictures in different sites?
    The prototype units Engadget used before 1 month necessarily didn't have the same SW as their review unit. Right? It's possible, since Nokia is going through iterations for fine tuning, the final SW may still be different. Also, I think Nokia can improve lot of this with software updates. We know that how 900's camera was quite improved with the last software update. If I go by that, 920's camera is way better than 900's and with any future SW updates, it will get better and better.
    11-03-2012 02:26 PM
    So I guess you are the kind of people that when they go to a buffet and there are some missing entrees does not complain and just eat whatever is available? or buy a car that is rate @ 40 mpg and only gives you 10mpg and do not complain? yeah I know your kind. Conformist.
    No I'm the kind of person who doesn't freak out at the buffet because they haven't brought the next pan of green beans out yet.

I'm the kind of guy who doesn't decide a cars MPG sucks and then go freak out about it on a forum when the car hasn't even been released yet and I've never driven it.
    11-03-2012 02:41 PM
    Found some daytime photos from Flickr and they look great IMO.

Flickr: Test 920's Photostream
    Not bad at all.. No full resolution, but they look good at 2 megapixels

I hope this is true:

“Nokia to bring more of 808 PureView’s technology to Windows Phone platform” | PureView Club
    11-03-2012 02:42 PM
    This is hard to say but I thought that this would be the perfect phone. Every aspect better than iPhone 5, killer camera, killer software, etc... I have to admit it is not even close. Such a frustration.
    You reached this conclusion after you used it yourself I assume.
    11-03-2012 02:42 PM
    Hmm, maybe part of the softness is due to the large F2.0 aperture. Depth of field is quite narrow, but you get nice bokeh. I suppose wp8 doesn't allow you to manually control aperture.
    11-03-2012 03:16 PM
    Engadget just did a review on the 920 and it is the same conclusion. Low light shoots are better than any other phone, but daylight shoots were not on par even with the galaxy s2. Apparently Nokia told Engadget that some software update will be put to fix it. So I'll just wait until that update is sent before buying it.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    11-03-2012 03:50 PM
    The prototype units Engadget used before 1 month necessarily didn't have the same SW as their review unit. Right? It's possible, since Nokia is going through iterations for fine tuning, the final SW may still be different. Also, I think Nokia can improve lot of this with software updates. We know that how 900's camera was quite improved with the last software update. If I go by that, 920's camera is way better than 900's and with any future SW updates, it will get better and better.
    Head to the top of the class, you are exactly right my friend. The SW versions will continue to be different as they test the device right up until the launch date. I have owned enough nokia phones to know that this is always the case.

Don't worry about it too much guys.
    11-03-2012 04:12 PM
    Hmm, maybe part of the softness is due to the large F2.0 aperture. Depth of field is quite narrow, but you get nice bokeh. I suppose wp8 doesn't allow you to manually control aperture.
    Even if it did, almost all smartphones are with fixed aperture lenses.

I can think of only two phones with variable aperture..

Nokia N86 8MP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Samsung M8910 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    11-03-2012 04:15 PM
    I'm with Dan right now and we're taking quite a few photos comparing iPhone 5 to Lumia 920 to HTC 8X.... some interesting results...

but you'll have to stay tuned for his full review :)
    greynightshirt likes this.
    11-03-2012 11:53 PM
    The normal lighting shots seem to suffer from the same complaints as the 900.
    The anti-Nokia brigade has assembled again. Once again, they are not backed by facts.

PureView shootout: Nokia 808 vs Nokia Lumia 920
    11-04-2012 01:45 AM
    I'm with Dan right now and we're taking quite a few photos comparing iPhone 5 to Lumia 920 to HTC 8X.... some interesting results...

but you'll have to stay tuned for his full review :)
    Kevin! You guys are sure waving the carrot in front of our faces.
    release the review ASAP!
    11-04-2012 01:57 AM
    Engadget just did a review on the 920 and it is the same conclusion. Low light shoots are better than any other phone, but daylight shoots were not on par even with the galaxy s2. Apparently Nokia told Engadget that some software update will be put to fix it. So I'll just wait until that update is sent before buying it.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    I believe that reviewer mistype GS2 instead of GS3.
    11-04-2012 02:15 AM
    After reading this thread it appears that the L920 is the best for low light and night time shots, but it's not a better overall camera than the IPhone 5.

Fortunately for me, I don't care about which camera is the best for a cell phone as long as it's very good. So it's a win for me.

However, it's still very disappointing because this is the one main thing that was truly going to separate this phone from the others and it does not. The camera was not only supposed to be better, but supposed to blow the competition. It's not even better.

I guess we'll wait for Dan's review and the final verdict when the phone is actually available.
    Last edited by jkrc717; 11-04-2012 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Oops meant to say L920 not L900
    11-04-2012 02:24 AM
    This is hard to say but I thought that this would be the perfect phone. Every aspect better than iPhone 5, killer camera, killer software, etc... I have to admit it is not even close. Such a frustration.
    Give it a chance! I think that most here are agreed that IF there are faults, they are software related and can be fixed via software patches.
    The camera is key for me, it is now the reason Im not buying a 820, I plan to try just using my phone camera for an upcoming trip as an experiment and I feel OK about this and the reported problems

FACT - this is one of the most advanced cameras in a phone yet, we all know the hardware is amazing, it will take a little while to get the optimal settings as it is such a new device. Im sure there will be a flurry of updates to come and in a couple of months this will be a non issue.
    Nokia have made a big thing about this camera, Im sure they will work very hard to fix everything or it will tarnish the brand and they won't allow that.

People need to chill and wait until they have the device in there hands before going off in the deep end
    11-04-2012 02:40 AM
    After reading this thread it appears that the L900 is the best for low light and night time shots, but it's not a better overall camera than the IPhone 5.

Fortunately for me, I don't care about which camera is the best for a cell phone as long as it's very good. So it's a win for me.

However, it's still very disappointing because this is the one main thing that was truly going to separate this phone from the others and it does not. The camera was not only supposed to be better, but supposed to blow the competition. It's not even better.
    ...I just don't get where this kind of thinking comes from. I just don't.

The camera in Lumia 920 was supposed to be better, yes. It was supposed to blow the competition away, yes. It was supposed to have absolutely unparalleled performance over any other device out there. And it has exactly that.

WHERE? IN THE LOW LIGHT CONDITIONS AND VIDEO. AS PROMISED.

Nokia has never promised anything similar about the daylight performance. Based on the sensor size and other technical details about the camera module, there has never been anything spectacular to be expected in that front. But still for reasons unknown, some people seem to ignore all the official communication about the performance, put their own expectations in place of those instead and proceed to judge it accordingly what they think it should've been.

ps. I also don't get how on Earth iPhone 5 can be considered "better overall camera" due to alleged minor edge over Lumia 920 camera in daylight conditions when it still has hopeless performance in low light conditions?
    a5cent likes this.
    11-04-2012 03:11 AM

The camera in Lumia 920 was supposed to be better, yes. It was supposed to blow the competition away, yes. It was supposed to have absolutely unparalleled performance over any other device out there. And it has exactly that.

Nokia has never promised anything similar about the daylight performance. Based on the sensor size and other technical details about the camera module, there has never been anything spectacular to be expected in that front. But still for reasons unknown, some people seem to ignore all the official communication about the performance, put their own expectations in place of those instead and proceed to judge it accordingly what they think it should've been.

ps. I also don't get how on Earth iPhone 5 can be considered "better overall camera" due to alleged minor edge over Lumia 920 camera in daylight conditions when it still has hopeless performance in low light conditions?
    Take a look at communities of any big upcoming game. They create hype based on their own expectations that wasnt even hyped by the devs and then complain how the game didnt meet up to (their) hype. Same stuff :/
    a5cent likes this.
    11-04-2012 04:46 AM

I'm going by what I'm reading and from comparison photo's. Relax dude. I don't know jack until this phone officially comes out.

However, to say that it's only been advertised and hyped as having only the best low light camera among cell phones is wrong. They hyped up everything about the camera.

To act like you expected this from the start is hard to believe.

Everyone was hoping for some huge 40+MP camera. That didn't happen and some people were bummed out, but everyone seemed to move past it.

Nokia gave this whole speech about how MP's aren't important and kept hyping up the Purview and everything else.

It was supposed to blow the competition away. Even the low light doesn't blow the competition away. Other high end devices do a satisfying job.

As far as what phones camera is best overall? Well, that becomes a matter of opinion now.

Personally, I'd want a phone that takes better day pictures or with high light. So far, that makes the IPhone 5 a winner. (Again, so far.)

How many people actually take any meaningful pics at night time or in the dark anyway? I'm guessing not very often.

In "my" opinion, so far this has been a fail.

A lot of people are buying this phone or switching to ATT to get this phone for a reason or a few reasons. For me, it's the HD screen.

If that HD screen isn't what I hope it'll be than I'm going to be bummed out and wish I got the slightly smaller, SD card slot, removable covers and removable battery I would have gotten with the 810.
    tumaykilinc likes this.
    11-04-2012 04:57 AM

On Nokia.com it says "Take blur-free photos every time"
    So every time doesn't include day time? And if it does, why all the images are blurry and even more, muddy, below the performance of other cameras which have worse lenses?

If you are not convinced, take a look at this:

Take bright, blur-free photos and videos in any light conditions with PureView technology.

I somehow believe this will be fixed.
    Last edited by tumaykilinc; 11-04-2012 at 05:09 AM.
    11-04-2012 05:01 AM
    However, to say that it's only been advertised and hyped as having only the best low light camera among cell phones is wrong. They hyped up everything about the camera.
    I understand now a bit more now, but I still don't agree at all. Especially the hype part. For example the picture tumaykilinc is referring is about the fact that thanks to the OIS you don't get those blurry shots from accidentally moving the camera while pressing the shutter button. Which you don't.

It was supposed to blow the competition away. Even the low light doesn't blow the competition away. Other high end devices do a satisfying job.
    The comparison in the video and low light performance have been exactly what they originally claimed in my opinion. The grainy, noise-filled pictures taken by competitors in low light conditions are far away from satisfying.
    jkrc717 likes this.
    11-04-2012 05:30 AM
    I understand now a bit more now, but I still don't agree at all. Especially the hype part. For example the picture tumaykilinc is referring is about the fact that thanks to the OIS you don't get those blurry shots from accidentally moving the camera while pressing the shutter button. Which you don't.

The comparison in the video and low light performance have been exactly what they originally claimed in my opinion. The grainy, noise-filled pictures taken by competitors in low light conditions are far away from satisfying.
    I understand what you mean and respect your thoughts, however i don't agree 100%.

In this video -I am not sure if it's an official video from Nokia?-, he clearly states this:
    "You will be able to take unbelievably pictures and lovely videos in any situation, whether it's day-time, whether it's the evening when you are out-doors or in-doors."

So from my understanding, it should take unbelievably pictures in the day-light. Of course we can't expect a DSLR quality, but something like or better than iPhone 5's day-time photography.

Right now it takes unbelievably pictures in the night-time as advertised, and unbelievably pictures in day-light in a bad way.
    greynightshirt likes this.
    11-04-2012 06:30 AM
    The only foolishness here is people like you who are digging Nokia's grave over a phone that hasn't even SHIPPED yet.

I wish we could have an entire separate sub-forum for morons who only want to complain and people who constantly freak out and overreact. The rest of this forum would be a **** of a lot more enjoyable if we did.
    It would be called 'trolls live here'. Make it happen.
    11-04-2012 06:51 AM
    Time to get a life. If the picture quality isn't what you want move on and get something else. Seems some have forgotten this is a PHONE and are taking the way a firm is marketing their product way too seriously.
    GSOgymrat likes this.
    11-04-2012 07:03 AM
    Engadget.com say that earlier pictures from the 920 had a better performance. Is it anyone ho have a old pictures from 920? Would like to compare...
    11-04-2012 07:14 AM
    I can't believe I have to say this for a 3rd time in this thread. You guys have to stop sugar coating the issue. It's almost 2013, camera phones from 2/3 years ago have taken beautiful photos during the day. We have the s3, onex iphone 4/4s/5 and various others who take excellent photos during daylight. In the day and age day light photos should be on par with the iPhone 4. Saying the Lumia 920 is doing what it's supposed to do is moronic.forget the night shots. The du shots can't be blurry!!! They have to show detail!!! There is no excuse for it not doing this at this point in time unless there is some bug in the hardware or software.
    Compensating by lowering the contrast/exposure is not acceptable . This "bug" should not be present and the fact that it is proves that the companies in charge of the success of this platform are pathetic. I don't care if its patches 5 days after release. This type of bug proves the phone was rushed and who knows whatelse will be wrong with it. With that said I'm undecided what to purchase. I'm 70/30 in favor of the lumia 920 over the 8x
    11-04-2012 08:39 AM
298 ... 89101112
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD