Lumia 920 camera is is not as good as we thought ????? How is this possible

1101x10

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Interesting that Engadget said they tried some pictures from an earlier prototype that didn't have these issues. It leads me to believe that the camera software is still in a state of flux, and they haven't finalized what the right mix of default settings will be.

That seems reasonable. It looks like they are applying the same amount of noise reduction for nighttime in the daytime shots which is blurring the detail.

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Interesting that Engadget said they tried some pictures from an earlier prototype that didn't have these issues. It leads me to believe that the camera software is still in a state of flux, and they haven't finalized what the right mix of default settings will be.

It seems like they really wanted to exhibit the low light capability of it which seems to have reduced the daylight quality.

doublesman3486

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Regarding the engadget review, people need to calm down. The review unit they had was running pre-release software and not final software. As expected, engadget didn't disappoint and purposely didn't make that clear in their review article.

un hombre

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Regarding the engadget review, people need to calm down. The review unit they had was running pre-release software and not final software. As expected, engadget didn't disappoint and purposely didn't make that clear in their review article.
I don't think it matters, that engadget may have had "pre-release" software, because as they mentioned, images seemed better and sharper on the prototype units they were playing with a month ago... At least this is how I understood it.

Besides, correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Lumia/Windows Phone 8 phone have scene selection modes?

Can't they just put this aggressive noise reduction in night mode, while making it less in automatic mode? It seems to be a problem with HTC 8x as well, as I had a look at the review pictures in different sites?

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I think, most of the reviewers have not reviewed Nokia's camera extra apps like smartshoot/groupshoot. They are quite handy and do help a lot in certain situations.

I think, most of the reviewers are biased.
This is sad for Nokia. The 920 was their money shot. If its a software issue then that's just poor quality control, if its a hardware issue then nokia is doomed. As far *** all of the reviews go probably 90% have stated the camera is t as good as we were led to believe but a few others have stated it was excellent. I hope the phones aren't released with some type of glitch that only affects certain devices . I was really looking forward to getting the 920 but once again apple with their god phone proves to have the best all around hardware out their. I know how they have done it but they did.
I read in a review that theirs no special effects software or editing software for the 920. That's just bad. The Galaxy s3 , one x, even the 8x all have amazing built in editing and effects built in.
MICROSOFT and Nokia need to step their game up. The launching of windows phone 8 along with the hardware was a mess . There's no way this platform can survive with these companies being foolish like this.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it matters, that engadget may have had "pre-release" software, because as they mentioned, images seemed better and sharper on the prototype units they were playing with a month ago... At least this is how I understood it.

Besides, correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Lumia/Windows Phone 8 phone have scene selection modes?

Can't they just put this aggressive noise reduction in night mode, while making it less in automatic mode? It seems to be a problem with HTC 8x as well, as I had a look at the review pictures in different sites?
The prototype units Engadget used before 1 month necessarily didn't have the same SW as their review unit. Right? It's possible, since Nokia is going through iterations for fine tuning, the final SW may still be different. Also, I think Nokia can improve lot of this with software updates. We know that how 900's camera was quite improved with the last software update. If I go by that, 920's camera is way better than 900's and with any future SW updates, it will get better and better.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
So I guess you are the kind of people that when they go to a buffet and there are some missing entrees does not complain and just eat whatever is available? or buy a car that is rate @ 40 mpg and only gives you 10mpg and do not complain? yeah I know your kind. Conformist.

No I'm the kind of person who doesn't freak out at the buffet because they haven't brought the next pan of green beans out yet.

I'm the kind of guy who doesn't decide a cars MPG sucks and then go freak out about it on a forum when the car hasn't even been released yet and I've never driven it.

jtke

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, maybe part of the softness is due to the large F2.0 aperture. Depth of field is quite narrow, but you get nice bokeh. I suppose wp8 doesn't allow you to manually control aperture.

eortizr

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Engadget just did a review on the 920 and it is the same conclusion. Low light shoots are better than any other phone, but daylight shoots were not on par even with the galaxy s2. Apparently Nokia told Engadget that some software update will be put to fix it. So I'll just wait until that update is sent before buying it.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

doublesman3486

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
The prototype units Engadget used before 1 month necessarily didn't have the same SW as their review unit. Right? It's possible, since Nokia is going through iterations for fine tuning, the final SW may still be different. Also, I think Nokia can improve lot of this with software updates. We know that how 900's camera was quite improved with the last software update. If I go by that, 920's camera is way better than 900's and with any future SW updates, it will get better and better.

Head to the top of the class, you are exactly right my friend. The SW versions will continue to be different as they test the device right up until the launch date. I have owned enough nokia phones to know that this is always the case.

Don't worry about it too much guys.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

CrackBerry Kevin

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm with Dan right now and we're taking quite a few photos comparing iPhone 5 to Lumia 920 to HTC 8X.... some interesting results...

but you'll have to stay tuned for his full review :)

rajkumr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm with Dan right now and we're taking quite a few photos comparing iPhone 5 to Lumia 920 to HTC 8X.... some interesting results...

but you'll have to stay tuned for his full review :)
Kevin! You guys are sure waving the carrot in front of our faces.
release the review ASAP!

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Engadget just did a review on the 920 and it is the same conclusion. Low light shoots are better than any other phone, but daylight shoots were not on par even with the galaxy s2. Apparently Nokia told Engadget that some software update will be put to fix it. So I'll just wait until that update is sent before buying it.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I believe that reviewer mistype GS2 instead of GS3.

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
After reading this thread it appears that the L920 is the best for low light and night time shots, but it's not a better overall camera than the IPhone 5.

Fortunately for me, I don't care about which camera is the best for a cell phone as long as it's very good. So it's a win for me.

However, it's still very disappointing because this is the one main thing that was truly going to separate this phone from the others and it does not. The camera was not only supposed to be better, but supposed to blow the competition. It's not even better.

I guess we'll wait for Dan's review and the final verdict when the phone is actually available.

Last edited:

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
This is hard to say but I thought that this would be the perfect phone. Every aspect better than iPhone 5, killer camera, killer software, etc... I have to admit it is not even close. Such a frustration.

Give it a chance! I think that most here are agreed that IF there are faults, they are software related and can be fixed via software patches.
The camera is key for me, it is now the reason Im not buying a 820, I plan to try just using my phone camera for an upcoming trip as an experiment and I feel OK about this and the reported problems

FACT - this is one of the most advanced cameras in a phone yet, we all know the hardware is amazing, it will take a little while to get the optimal settings as it is such a new device. Im sure there will be a flurry of updates to come and in a couple of months this will be a non issue.
Nokia have made a big thing about this camera, Im sure they will work very hard to fix everything or it will tarnish the brand and they won't allow that.

People need to chill and wait until they have the device in there hands before going off in the deep end

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb