11-12-2012 04:00 AM
298 ... 56789 ...
tools
    ^ they do a great job, but it takes awhile for them to get it done.. hopefully that is not the case with the 920

If you meant "in the windows phone realm" I agree, but overall.. the 808 takes away those two.

You shouldn't have to do that really.. and I don't think you have to with the 920. Daylight quality is adequate.
    I am certainly not trying to say the Lumia 920 takes bad Daylight photos. But if a person must have the absolute most detailed outdoor landscape picture -- it currently looks like iPhone 5 is the best at that.
    SuddenlyDinosaur likes this.
    11-01-2012 11:48 AM
    The 808 has a truly amazing camera that is better than many high quality point and shoot cameras. I understand why you think so highly of it.

It beats the 920 in clarity, details, colors, etc... Almost every category. But it does not beat the 920 in low light.
    Does the 808 have OIS? I guess the 920 might have an advantage in some cases due to that as well.
    11-01-2012 11:52 AM
    Product Face-Offs Digital Cameras : Olympus Stylus XZ-2, Nokia Lumia 920, HTC 8X, Panasonic Lumix GH3, - DigitalVersus

HTC 8X shows far better details and sharpness than Lumia 920....
    Lumia 920 take smearing, blur image at ISO 100, too strange

Still can't believe it....
    Very nice site. Thanks for the link.

I'm a fan of the Lumia 920, but I will admit that the sharpness sucks. Seeing that the iso was set to 100, I guess it isn't an iso problem.
    11-01-2012 11:56 AM
    Product Face-Offs Digital Cameras : Olympus Stylus XZ-2, Nokia Lumia 920, HTC 8X, Panasonic Lumix GH3, - DigitalVersus

Interesting test site..thanks for posting. And I agree, it's very strange. Especially when you look at the ISO settings versus shutter speed..they don't seem to make sense when compared to the other cameras tested. 920 ISO 100:1/28.2 sec but the Olympus ISO 100:1/8 sec? HTC 8X with a higher ISO but a slower shutter speed of 1/25.1 sec? Granted the f-stop is different between all of those (would be nice to have the EXIF data to compare) and I don't profess to be a photography expert..but something doesn't seem right
    11-01-2012 11:57 AM
    Nokia fanboy order of operations:

1. The images were uploaded to imagehosting sites that compress images! Wait for a "real" review from pros!

2. You can't trust reviews from those small dinky sites I never heard of! They have it in for Nokia! Wait for the big sites!

3. The big sites are being paid by Apple! They rushed, biased messes! Wait for reviews from thorough, intelligent sites!

4. Those wordy sites are all fluff! They are lies, all lies!

5. The camera is not that important! It's "good" enough! I see no problems! WTF go buy a real camera! This is a phone!

6. Shut out rest of world. Live in dream world Nokia land inside head.

Reality Check:

Most people were waiting for the Lumia 920 for the camera. These are WP8 phones. They are near identical in most respects anyhow. Nokia attached the name "PureView" to the phone and hyped the **** out of it. Other than the phone design, which they had already mostly used on the Lumia 900, the only thing they had was the camera. Some of you may claim otherwise or not care at all about it, but the camera is the make or break moment for the Lumia 920. You can go get the 8X or Ativ S and be assured to take better detailed daytime shots instead of wasting time with Nokia.

Did I expect any miracles? No. The point is, it can't even achieve the same level of detail as the iPhone 4S/5, the Galaxy S II/III, nor the HTC One X/8X. That's two generations of phones, some over 18 months old, that beat it out. Nokia was too smug and focused too much on the OIS system while ignoring the sensor itself entirely. The Lumia 900 was a blurry, unsharp mess and they haven't made much progress since then.
    920 has the best point and shoot camera. Whether your indoors or outdoors you can point and shoot. Cant do that with a S3 i5 etc
    11-01-2012 12:04 PM
    http://www.slashgear.com/nokia-lumia-920-pureview-camera-hands-on-vs-samsung-galaxy-s-iii

Slashgear also put their recent Lumia 920 samples still show some kind of softness.
    11-01-2012 12:05 PM
    Still waiting on that review of the HTC 8X video camera and optical image stabilization.
    theefman and socialcarpet like this.
    11-01-2012 12:06 PM
    Very confusing indeed. The 8X photos I have seen elsewhere don't have as much detail in them, and the lowlight head-to-head pic that Vlad Savov of The Verge put up on his Twitter feed made the 8X look horrible in comparison.
    11-01-2012 12:14 PM
    Very confusing indeed. The 8X photos I have seen elsewhere don't have as much detail in them, and the lowlight head-to-head pic that Vlad Savov of The Verge put up on his Twitter feed made the 8X look horrible in comparison.
    lol, Vlad's workaround on how to take 920 caliber photos with your 8X is really funny.
    11-01-2012 12:20 PM

Lumia look's awful to be honest the difference is bigger than I thought.

All HTC fanboys and Nokia haters in a panic because Nokia might dethrone HTC as the best WP camera.

Deal with it.
    If you honestly think the photo's taken so far are enough to make it the best camera phone on WP then your deluded.
    11-01-2012 12:33 PM
    it currently looks like iPhone 5 is the best at that.
    No.. far from it actually. I have an iphone 5 and an 808 PureView, in daylight the iphone does okay, but still far from the 808.. and then the darker it gets, the difference gets bigger and bigger. The 808 destroys pretty much everything else when we get up to 400+ iso speeds.

Here is a comp set I made

low light: http://sdrv.ms/QOzrHB

iphone 5 (click for full res)

100% crop

100% crop

also, color reproduction on the 808 is more accurate.
    alpinestars1z likes this.
    11-01-2012 12:36 PM

Color seems to be too saturated. Look at the color scale, in the other three pictures, you can tell it's purple. The 920's picture... it turned blue! :O
    11-01-2012 12:37 PM
    If you honestly think the photo's taken so far are enough to make it the best camera phone on WP then your deluded.
    There isn't enough information to say one way or the other. The 8X is the only widely reviewed phone that has a huge range of photos to determine quality. The 920 has had a handful of shots published, and they've ranged from eh to incredible.

Again, Vlad Savov PREFERS the 8X as a device, but he's not beyond showing back-to-back comparisons of the 8X and 920 that make the 8X look like crap.
    11-01-2012 12:43 PM
    ^ Savov is.. I wouldn't trust what he says.
    11-01-2012 12:45 PM
    I'm more concerned about the 920s IPS screen.
    Sike
    11-01-2012 12:54 PM
    With how much I saw so far something seems not right with the jpeg engine of the phone. The noise reductions just wipes away all the details and in some cases the white balance is off. Many pictures show that the color and dynamic range are actually pretty good but on some it's simply off. The performance doesn't seem consistant at all especially with the sharpness.
    They seem to have focused too much on the low light capabilities and neglected the normal light situations. I think thats exactly what we are seeing now. Stellar low light performance and average normal performance.
    Hopefully the'll fix this soon otherwise it's just gonna lead to negative press all over again.
    greynightshirt likes this.
    11-01-2012 01:00 PM
    ^ Well they might have to compromise one or the other considering the small sensor.. or they can just give us a choice of "day" mode and a "night" mode.. which is silly, it should be automatic. I just don't know if they can change the jpeg processing on the go like that...

But yes, whichever way we look a this, its going to generate negative press.. or at least it will make it easy for anyone to pick on it, just like the weight.

They set the bar way too high with PureView PRO, and now people are expecting similar results because it carriers the name, but most of them don't understand that the Pure View tech in the 920 is completely different.
    11-01-2012 01:04 PM
    The samples on the dialaphone.co.uk review aren't very good. While the color on the Nokia shot is quite a bit better, the crops could be misleading. First, the iPhone seems to have a longer lens so the crop from the iPhone is bigger than the Nokia's. Second, we don't know where the focus point was on either. The Nokia could have been focused further back.
    This. I was disappointed at the sharpness but the focus points on the picture of the leafs were definitely different. If you look at the different leaf's closer to the 920's focal point, sharpness will look better.

I'm very encouraged by the 4-5 reviews I've seen so far. All of the reviews seemed to knock points off for the lack of apps. Despite that, this looks like the best phone on the market now.
    11-01-2012 01:17 PM
    The odds of me upgrading my Titan II are very, very slim but I have been trying to get my wife to experience WP. She is currently using an iphone 3gs. Neither one of us are in a contract, and she has been thinking about getting a new phone.

I have been mentioning the 920 because of the camera, as she does take a lot of pictures.

All this talk does hurt her decision, as the camera was the main selling point. Please understand that she is not a fan of any device. The iphone 3gs was her first smart phone and the only one she has used. Her natural progression if we decided to pay (we try to keep devices until they die) for an upgrade, would be just to get another iphone. The 920 was a phone I was hoping to get her, but the negative reviews of the camera probably changed that. I also know, for her, the bulk of the phone was going to be an issue, but the camera was the #1 selling point.

The issue is, the images would probably be great for most, and for her, as she does not zoom in a crop. She takes a picture and saves it. With the reviews though, which the average person sees, will turn people away.
    11-01-2012 02:09 PM
    here is the photo samples of the GS3 and Lumia920 from Slashgear

Nokia Lumia 920 PureView camera hands-on vs Samsung Galaxy S III - SlashGear
    vlad0 likes this.
    11-01-2012 02:24 PM
    ^ not bad at all.. I am sure it will only improve over time.

The issue is, the images would probably be great for most, and for her, as she does not zoom in a crop. She takes a picture and saves it. With the reviews though, which the average person sees, will turn people away.
    The 920 camera is more than enough for most people.. and, it will be way better than the 3gs.
    11-01-2012 02:29 PM
    The 920 camera is more than enough for most people.. and, it will be way better than the 3gs.
    For her circumstances though, is it better than iPhone 5? Not everyone will want a large phone (as the poster stated) with the higher weight of the Lumia. If the camera isn't seen as on par with the iPhone 5, what advantages does the Lumia 920 have for her? That's the questions that need to be answered.
    11-01-2012 02:32 PM
    here is the photo samples of the GS3 and Lumia920 from Slashgear

Nokia Lumia 920 PureView camera hands-on vs Samsung Galaxy S III - SlashGear
    Not very reassuring to be honest. I expected better dynamic range, and better white balancing. Moreover, the excessive application of noise reduction muddles details.

Great demonstration and comparison shots though.
    11-01-2012 02:38 PM
    Posts like yours make me wish there was a way to vote posts down.

Aren't us Windows Phone people supposed to be on the same side? Aren't there bigger fish to fry than whether Nokia owns the colorful rounded rectangle?
    We are on the same side. I'm just having a little fun with the haters. Don't take it the wrong way.
    11-01-2012 02:47 PM
    For her circumstances though, is it better than iPhone 5? Not everyone will want a large phone (as the poster stated) with the higher weight of the Lumia. If the camera isn't seen as on par with the iPhone 5, what advantages does the Lumia 920 have for her? That's the questions that need to be answered.
    I have an iPhone 5.. and the problem with it (for me anyway) is the fact that its chipping away.. if you don't put a case on it, it will be a disaster in a few days. So.. you need a case, 100% .. so it gets a bit bigger and heavier because of that anyway. Now.. if you are going to put a case on the 920, that would be crazy.. it will go over 200 grams.. the iphone 5 has more "room" for that since it thin and light to begin with.

The camera seems to be fine.. the difference with the iphone 5 will be negligible, she won't notice, but it will give her a better low light performance and better video recording.

Also, the iphone has a narrower sensor.. so you will get more in your frame with the 920 than you would with the iPhone 5, which is really nice.. both in video and stills.

Here is what I mean

you can see that my 808 captures more info overall. It will be the exact same thing with the 920 since it has that same 16:9 aspect ratio like the 808

And.. I also find iOS really boring, WP seems better. I would go for the 920.. just wait for GSMarena's battery test, and go for it.
    11-01-2012 02:48 PM
298 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD