Lumia 920 camera is is not as good as we thought ????? How is this possible

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
it currently looks like iPhone 5 is the best at that.
No.. far from it actually. I have an iphone 5 and an 808 PureView, in daylight the iphone does okay, but still far from the 808.. and then the darker it gets, the difference gets bigger and bigger. The 808 destroys pretty much everything else when we get up to 400+ iso speeds.

Here is a comp set I made

low light: https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror

iphone 5 (click for full res)

100% crop
Ye4pt.jpg

100% crop
OHHjw.jpg

also, color reproduction on the 808 is more accurate.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
If you honestly think the photo's taken so far are enough to make it the best camera phone on WP then your deluded.

There isn't enough information to say one way or the other. The 8X is the only widely reviewed phone that has a huge range of photos to determine quality. The 920 has had a handful of shots published, and they've ranged from eh to incredible.

Again, Vlad Savov PREFERS the 8X as a device, but he's not beyond showing back-to-back comparisons of the 8X and 920 that make the 8X look like crap.

Yakkaimono

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
With how much I saw so far something seems not right with the jpeg engine of the phone. The noise reductions just wipes away all the details and in some cases the white balance is off. Many pictures show that the color and dynamic range are actually pretty good but on some it's simply off. The performance doesn't seem consistant at all especially with the sharpness.
They seem to have focused too much on the low light capabilities and neglected the normal light situations. I think thats exactly what we are seeing now. Stellar low light performance and average normal performance.
Hopefully the'll fix this soon otherwise it's just gonna lead to negative press all over again.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
^ Well they might have to compromise one or the other considering the small sensor.. or they can just give us a choice of "day" mode and a "night" mode.. which is silly, it should be automatic. I just don't know if they can change the jpeg processing on the go like that...

But yes, whichever way we look a this, its going to generate negative press.. or at least it will make it easy for anyone to pick on it, just like the weight.

They set the bar way too high with PureView PRO, and now people are expecting similar results because it carriers the name, but most of them don't understand that the Pure View tech in the 920 is completely different.

supafoo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
The samples on the dialaphone.co.uk review aren't very good. While the color on the Nokia shot is quite a bit better, the crops could be misleading. First, the iPhone seems to have a longer lens so the crop from the iPhone is bigger than the Nokia's. Second, we don't know where the focus point was on either. The Nokia could have been focused further back.

This. I was disappointed at the sharpness but the focus points on the picture of the leafs were definitely different. If you look at the different leaf's closer to the 920's focal point, sharpness will look better.

I'm very encouraged by the 4-5 reviews I've seen so far. All of the reviews seemed to knock points off for the lack of apps. Despite that, this looks like the best phone on the market now.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
The odds of me upgrading my Titan II are very, very slim but I have been trying to get my wife to experience WP. She is currently using an iphone 3gs. Neither one of us are in a contract, and she has been thinking about getting a new phone.

I have been mentioning the 920 because of the camera, as she does take a lot of pictures.

All this talk does hurt her decision, as the camera was the main selling point. Please understand that she is not a fan of any device. The iphone 3gs was her first smart phone and the only one she has used. Her natural progression if we decided to pay (we try to keep devices until they die) for an upgrade, would be just to get another iphone. The 920 was a phone I was hoping to get her, but the negative reviews of the camera probably changed that. I also know, for her, the bulk of the phone was going to be an issue, but the camera was the #1 selling point.

The issue is, the images would probably be great for most, and for her, as she does not zoom in a crop. She takes a picture and saves it. With the reviews though, which the average person sees, will turn people away.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
^ not bad at all.. I am sure it will only improve over time.

The issue is, the images would probably be great for most, and for her, as she does not zoom in a crop. She takes a picture and saves it. With the reviews though, which the average person sees, will turn people away.
The 920 camera is more than enough for most people.. and, it will be way better than the 3gs.

Dregur

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The 920 camera is more than enough for most people.. and, it will be way better than the 3gs.

For her circumstances though, is it better than iPhone 5? Not everyone will want a large phone (as the poster stated) with the higher weight of the Lumia. If the camera isn't seen as on par with the iPhone 5, what advantages does the Lumia 920 have for her? That's the questions that need to be answered.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Posts like yours make me wish there was a way to vote posts down.

Aren't us Windows Phone people supposed to be on the same side? Aren't there bigger fish to fry than whether Nokia owns the colorful rounded rectangle?

We are on the same side. I'm just having a little fun with the haters. Don't take it the wrong way.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
For her circumstances though, is it better than iPhone 5? Not everyone will want a large phone (as the poster stated) with the higher weight of the Lumia. If the camera isn't seen as on par with the iPhone 5, what advantages does the Lumia 920 have for her? That's the questions that need to be answered.
I have an iPhone 5.. and the problem with it (for me anyway) is the fact that its chipping away.. if you don't put a case on it, it will be a disaster in a few days. So.. you need a case, 100% .. so it gets a bit bigger and heavier because of that anyway. Now.. if you are going to put a case on the 920, that would be crazy.. it will go over 200 grams.. the iphone 5 has more "room" for that since it thin and light to begin with.

The camera seems to be fine.. the difference with the iphone 5 will be negligible, she won't notice, but it will give her a better low light performance and better video recording.

Also, the iphone has a narrower sensor.. so you will get more in your frame with the 920 than you would with the iPhone 5, which is really nice.. both in video and stills.

Here is what I mean

8cFYY.jpg

you can see that my 808 captures more info overall. It will be the exact same thing with the 920 since it has that same 16:9 aspect ratio like the 808

And.. I also find iOS really boring, WP seems better. I would go for the 920.. just wait for GSMarena's battery test, and go for it.

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Conclusion

Scores aren't everything, though for anyone totting them up during the piece, the totals (each out of 70) are:

Nokia 808 PureView 61 pts
Nokia Lumia 920 PureView 57pts
HTC One X 34 pts
Nokia Lumia 900 28 pts

We'll obviously have a lot more on the Lumia 920's camera as part of our formal review coverage on All About Windows Phone, but I'm already able to come to a few conclusions:

In terms of all round still photography, the 1/1.2"-sensored Nokia 808 PureView, running Symbian, is still the best camera phone in the world - by a small margin. Though add in real world shots of people indoors and at events, where the Xenon flash freezes motion so much better, and the 808 draws further ahead.

Given the constraints on phone thickness, the camera in the new 1/3"-sensored Lumia 920 PureView does astonishingly well with the benefit of the OIS. With a sensor that's barely bigger than that in the Android and iOS competition, it produces shots that are often close to the 808's and occasionally better. Given that the humped Nokia 808, running a smartphone OS which is now facing an End Of Life, isn't for everybody, the sleek Lumia 920 running a 2013 operating system may well be the better option for users who love taking photos. The next-gen LED flash does need more testing and, as with all LED-equipped phones, there will still be issues in low light when shooting people. Watch this space for real world pub tests!

Even used with care, photos from the likes of the 1/3.2"-sensored HTC One X (and, by inference, the iPhone 4S/5 and SGS III) are almost always going to be inferior to those from the similarly sized Lumia 920 - the optical image stablisation did well here - it'll do even better in terms of difference in quality when used by novice users.

The previous generation of 1/3.2" camera units used by Nokia, even with Carl Zeiss optics, are worlds apart from the 920's camera. Worlds. Partly down to the previous Windows Phone 7 software, partly the average hardware, partly the lack of OIS.

A side issue, for AAS readers, is whether the two year old 1/1.8"-sensored Nokia N8 has a better camera than the Lumia 920. The physicist in me says yes, but the OIS on the latter would make it a very close match to call. One for me to test another day!

And so it's on to our review coverage of the Nokia Lumia 920, running Windows Phone 8. Rafe's up first, with an overview of the hardware and software - I'll be testing the stills camera in real life and seeing what a difference OIS makes to video footage in one of the review parts, all coming in the next few weeks.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Does the 808 have OIS? I guess the 920 might have an advantage in some cases due to that as well.

Especially considering that most people don't put their cell phone on a tripod before they take pictures with it they way they do in these tests. It's common knowledge that the two greatest factors in disappointing digital camera pics is motion and low light.

None of these tests do nothing to take motion into account and in the ones that take lighting into account, the 920 wins by a landslide.

Make of that what you will. Personally I don't take still life pics of bowls of fruit in a well-lit room with my camera in a vise to steady it.

The 900's camera is relentlessly average, so anything beyond that will be a great success and I expect in real world conditions, the 920's camera is going to be among the very best. But I'll wait and see how I like it until I can actually use one.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Here is the thing with the 808.. you have almost full control of most settings, and that is a huge advantage if you know what you are doing.

He shot everything in auto mode, which is fine, its fair, but if you go to manual settings on the 808.. for example that car shot can be taken at 1600 iso, and it might retain acceptable quality. Also, in automatic mode the 808 shoots at 85% jpeg compression, and the 920 at 95% .. so if you go manual settings you can change that to "superfine" and the quality increases further.

Also he forgot to mention that you can zoom up to 4x with the 808 without loosing quality, which was the whole point of the project.

Flash.. I am pretty sure the xenon will do better than the LED.

Despite that, the 920 did very well..

Last edited:

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Here is the thing with the 808.. you have almost full control of most settings, and that is a huge advantage if you know what you are doing...

Despite that, the 920 did very well..

Nokia set itself up by calling the 920 a Pureview. As such, each photo shoot will have to include the 808 benchmark. So, I will say, "Despite that, the 920 did very well..."

Against more "typical" phones, the 920 did outstanding. I'm excited.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise