Lumia 920 camera is is not as good as we thought ????? How is this possible

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Oh please give it a rest the camera is not as good as it should have been end of story.

Please explain why you are the person who can decide how good it should have been? I don't think whatever your imagination comes up with, based on a few numbers on a spec sheet, is the yard stick.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
If it's a noise reduction issue, then that can be solved with a software update.

The iPhone has a pretty good camera though, and it is tough to beat in optimum lighting conditions.

In low light there is no contest though.

srmiller82

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
yes you cant from a spec sheet, but knowing the quality that nokia has ALWAYS made when they say its a camera phone or they advertise a camera I mean they are not gonna screw it up that bad to where it would take worse pics than a phone with a worse sensor, I just said I've been in technology for 20 years I believe I know whats entailed in manuf. yes people would like to see after the fact but I haven't seen one bad review of the phone , the qualities they did hype work MUCH better than the competition, its still a phone, technology is so advanced anymore I haven't seen anything really groundbreaking in phones in a loooooong time, at least not in my opinion but for the price and the features pleeeeeeease this phone is every bit as worth a much as an iphone 5 and to say any different is blind.

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Please explain why you are the person who can decide how good it should have been? I don't think whatever your imagination comes up with, based on a few numbers on a spec sheet, is the yard stick.

What's the matter with you ? your sounding desperate. Nokia themselves have said:

Our most innovative Lumia
Take bright, blur-free photos and videos in any light conditions with PureView technology ? Optical Image Stabilisation and Carl Zeiss lens

Tell me how is a phone "innovative" if its advertising the fact it has a fantastic lense, OIS, and "pureview" technology and yet standard day time photo's are far from amazing.

Standard day time shots should be amazing and the ois videos & low light photo's should be nice extras

I'm sorry that you are sad enough to defend a multinational company because they have once again not delivered.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
yes you cant from a spec sheet, but knowing the quality that nokia has ALWAYS made when they say its a camera phone or they advertise a camera I mean they are not gonna screw it up that bad to where it would take worse pics than a phone with a worse sensor, I just said I've been in technology for 20 years I believe I know whats entailed in manuf. yes people would like to see after the fact but I haven't seen one bad review of the phone , the qualities they did hype work MUCH better than the competition, its still a phone, technology is so advanced anymore I haven't seen anything really groundbreaking in phones in a loooooong time, at least not in my opinion but for the price and the features pleeeeeeease this phone is every bit as worth a much as an iphone 5 and to say any different is blind.

I agree for the most part. The only difference being that I'm not willing to let Nokia's past performance influence my expectations of their future performance. In general they have better cameras in their devices than the competition, but that doesn't guarantee the same will be true for the 920. Until we know the cause I'm reserving judgement. If it ends up being related to noise reduction algorithms like Winning Guy suggested, then sure, no problem.

srmiller82

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
so your saying because some random joe schmo took some pics that didn't live up to the iphone 5 pics that were taken by a professional that you will agree the pics are not as good lol, ok well I respect your view, but I've never seen a company release a camera with better specs that took worse pictures than a worse speced camera phone or not, and if it did it was software, I think iphone has very good software but at the end of the day once all software is final on nokia it will have better pics that's my opinion I've seen enough professional taken pics with it to say its better.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
What you call "review" I call garbage or at best untrustworthy. Wait.

Even if the camera isn't that great in daylight, who is really to blame for false expectations? Who was it that told you the Lumia 920 made great daylight pictures? All I remember reading about is OIS (which is meaningless without real tests evaluating its impact on real pictures) and their marketing efforts geared towards selling low light performance.

I think you let marketing get the better of you and now your baffled reality isn't living up to advertising. Again, seriously?

In this day an age daylight pictures have to be great. Theres no reason why the Iphone should still have the best quality camera when slight improvements have been made.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Well, in all honesty this forum was hyping this camera up a some kind of game changer. People were getting blasted for even mentioning the 8x or Ativ around here. The Nokia elitism was at an all time high. Now people are realizing that it's just another high end smartphone with exaggerated features.

Just like how the iPhone is?

I'm a bit disappointed, but I still don't like HTC because of the way their customer service treated me, and Samsung I'm waiting for a non-pentile whatever version AMOLED they're on now and their reception and call quality isn't always the best.

They didn't? Everything was Carl Zeis this, Carl Zeis that. I'm just going to go ahead and diagnose you with short term memory loss.
Latest Smartphone Beta test commercial touts Nokia Lumia 900 Carl Zeiss optics | WMPoweruser

Haha, I don't what else they're supposed to say. "Everyone, you should buy our phone because our camera sucks!"

What's the matter with you ? your sounding desperate. Nokia themselves have said:

Tell me how is a phone "innovative" if its advertising the fact it has a fantastic lense, OIS, and "pureview" technology and yet standard day time photo's are far from amazing.

Standard day time shots should be amazing and the ois videos & low light photo's should be nice extras

I'm sorry that you are sad enough to defend a multinational company because they have once again not delivered.

Desperate, how does a5cent sound desperate? All he's saying is nobody put you in charge of judging for everyone else how good a camera should have turned out.

And it's innovative because no one else has put optical image stabilization into a phone?

At least their advertising seems fine--"bright, blur-free photos"--which is what the Lumia produces. The problem is the lack of detail due to the noise reduction algorithm. I don't see where they claimed that it would produce detailed DSLR resolution photos. That was an expectation you set yourself.

And why should daytime shots come first and OIS and night time shots be extras? You mean if they couldn't get day time shots correct with the OIS, they should have just thrown the OIS out because it should have been extra anyway?

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Overall the camera experience on a Windows Phone is way better lenses just adds another dimension when it comes to photography.

Now in terms of pictures

The older crowd will defiantly take more pictures during the day time but for the younger crowd its defiantly geared towards more night time photos.

But regardless your not going to get good light everywhere so in terms of point-and-shoot L920 offers the best camera sure iPhone 5 has better daylight photos I heard its due to pre-processing but L920 photos are natural.

If it's noise were talking about I'm sure it will get fixed later down the road.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
THis is what i wanted on my camera which lumia 900 could not provide.

See something, take my phone out of my pocket or wherever, turn on camera, take the shot and the photo comes out as i see it on my screen.

I could not do this with the lumia 900 as the color you can see change as the picture is taken. I could not take a picture as the evening comes due to poor low light ability.

As an amatuer user, i want to be able to take my picture, have the picture come out as it has been seen without fiddling too much with the settings and such. That is all i want and that is what most people will want.

I remember when the 900 low light issue came about and people kept saying "just change the settings", the point is, i shouldn't have to change anything to take a random picture.

I have the focus S, no issues with taking out of pocket point and shoot and the picture came out as i saw it.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

I'm not defending anyone, and you are still so caught up in your spec sheets that you fail to understand my point. My point all along in this thread (actually I've been arguing this point all over the forum) has been that a "fantastic lens, OIS, and pureview technology" means nothing. Particularly "pureview" is nothing more than a marketing buzzword just like "retina" which has no quantifiable meaning attached to it. It takes people with a superficial understanding of technology to actually attach meaning to those words... their own personal meanings... their own personal expectations. That is precisely what marketing is intended to help people along with. That's why marketing buzz words are invented in the first place.

If Nokia really had a killer camera besting everything else in the industry by a mile, shouldn't they just have released comparison shots every few days instead of marketing buzzwords? C'mon, everybody does this, it's how the whole industry works.

Oh, almost forgot, they did release comparison shots... but only in low lighting scenarios. Maybe this issue is why? Or maybe it was just an easier sell, as the difference between daytime shots would have been less dramatic. At this point we don't know, so I'm reserving judgement on whether or not the camera can live up to expectations. At least until we find out what the root problem is, should there actually be one.

If you still don't understand that I can't help you.

ryuh3d

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
The vast majority of pictures I take with my camera phone are inside usually. I will take the low light performance over a slightly better out door picture. Also don't discount how much handshaking most people have when taking cell phone pictures. The Anti-Shake stuff is a big deal.

Now... if it was like OMG iPhone 5 takes WAAY better out door pictures and Lumia 920 is terrible at out door it would be a different story.

However what we have is -- Lumia 920 takes hands down the best indoor/night shots. Has the best shake-free video and takes good outdoor shots. If I need to take great photos for the time being I will still take my real camera (as I would if I had an iPhone 5, SGIII, etc...)

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm not defending anyone, and you are still so caught up in your spec sheets that you fail to understand my point. My point all along in this thread (actually I've been arguing this point all over the forum) has been that a "fantastic lens, OIS, and pureview technology" means nothing. Particularly "pureview" is nothing more than a marketing buzzword just like "retina" which has no quantifiable meaning attached to it. It takes people with a superficial understanding of technology to actually attach meaning to those words... their own personal meanings... their own personal expectations. That is precisely what marketing is intended to help people along with. That's why marketing buzz words are invented in the first place.

If Nokia really had a killer camera besting everything else in the industry by a mile, shouldn't they just have released comparison shots every few days instead of marketing buzzwords? C'mon, everybody does this, it's how the whole industry works.

Oh, almost forgot, they did release comparison shots... but only in low lighting scenarios. Maybe this issue is why? Or maybe it was just an easier sell, as the difference between daytime shots would have been less dramatic. At this point we don't know, so I'm reserving judgement on whether or not the camera can live up to expectations. At least until we find out what the root problem is, should there actually be one.

If you still don't understand that I can't help you.

Everybody has seen daylight photos on a phone not everybody is going to zoom in 300% to look for blurriness. With today's technology any phone is good for daylight photos most users Instagram the photos and add filters anyway.

Now low-light is not what every camera can do and a lot of photos get taken at night especially at clubs, parties, dinner whatever people love the night life especially young adults the 920 is perfect for taking low light photos no need to bring an extra camera just for that.

That's my take on it.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
so your saying because some random joe schmo took some pics that didn't live up to the iphone 5 pics that were taken by a professional that you will agree the pics are not as good lol, ok well I respect your view, but I've never seen a company release a camera with better specs that took worse pictures than a worse speced camera phone or not, and if it did it was software, I think iphone has very good software but at the end of the day once all software is final on nokia it will have better pics that's my opinion I've seen enough professional taken pics with it to say its better.

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/i/c/blg/cat/nokia-lumia-920-screens/lumia-920-camera-test-large.jpg

ip5
http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/i/c/blg/cat/nokia-lumia-920-screens/lumia-920-camera-test-iphone-large.jpg

I dont care if its software or hardware. The PHOTOS from the 920 are not as good as the ip5 in daylight. Not sure what a professional can do with a point and shoot taking a picture of a landscape a few hundred yards away across a river, but I don't see how it can get rid of the noise in this photos.

Sure, if the camera software is fixed it could be better. I love how the ip5 software for its camera is likened to a crutch for inferior hardware, but Nokia's inferior software is not a big deal and will be fixed eventually to make it on par with a crappier camera from apple.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
None of these two reviews have convinced me they were done properly.

The first one features different pictures as comparison (like wtf? really?), and the second one is a single image. No talk of whether or not they delved into the settings of the camera - who knows, maybe they're not even aware they can change them - and limited data range is not convincing. I'll be waiting on a review from wpcentral and theverge.

Edit: just looked at CNET's review. Same thing. One pic, no mention of settings. It seems the issue is the same in every pic though: noise reduction set too high.

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
HTC evo lte has an excellent camera. Not sure what your doing wrong. Even in low light the pics are nice. Not lumia nice, but probably not far off.

My wife took some of our boys eating breakfast in our moderately-lit kitchen when I was out of town a little while ago. Both decent, but noisy.

It's not a bad camera. But I felt as underwhelmed with it with all of HTC's "ImageSense, dedicated chip, F2.0" talk as some here do with the initial 920 pics.

I'd love to see a head-to-head comparison.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

I'm assuming you are responding to me (pls quote me if you are), I apologize if I am mistaken.

I don't know why you think I'm agreeing with those stating the 920 doesn't take pictures that are as good as an iPhone 5. You need to read more carefully. I never said anything of that sort. I'm saying I don't know, and I'm not willing to jump to conclusions based on garbage reviews, spec sheets and Nokias historical track record. At this point, both sides are jumping to conclusions.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven