Lumia 920 camera is is not as good as we thought ????? How is this possible

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Android, iOS, and Windows Phone are all monolithic, Symbian is RTOS.

Having a monolithic kernel (which windows phone strictly taken isn't, it's a hybrid) and an RTOS kernel isn't mutually exclusive. Monolithic RTOS kernels exist. Windows CE, on which WP7 is based, is an RTOS OS.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Having a monolithic kernel (which windows phone strictly taken isn't, it's a hybrid) and an RTOS kernel isn't mutually exclusive. Monolithic RTOS kernels exist. Windows CE, on which WP7 is based, is an RTOS OS.

right.. Like I said, I my info is not 100% accurate and its mostly speculation.

Either way, the 920 will take good enough pictures for 99% of the user base, its just that it won't be "amazing" like a lot of people were expecting it to be. OIS still works very well for video recording...

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm disappointed with the way the pics are looking at the moment. But as others have mentioned it looks like typical smearing on jpegs caused by an overly aggressive noise reduction system. This could be resolved with firmware updates that would allow users to turn off NR.

I had an Olympus XZ-1 that was an amazing camera, but Olympus was too aggressive with the NR on that camera and jpegs looked quite smeared at high ISOs.

The other issue I'm seeing is a focusing issue. I haven't used the phone so I can't tell what kind of focus modes it has (centre, spot, etc). Some of the pictures, especially scenery shots look out of focus.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm disappointed with the way the pics are looking at the moment. But as others have mentioned it looks like typical smearing on jpegs caused by an overly aggressive noise reduction system. This could be resolved with firmware updates that would allow users to turn off NR.

I had an Olympus XZ-1 that was an amazing camera, but Olympus was too aggressive with the NR on that camera and jpegs looked quite smeared at high ISOs.

The other issue I'm seeing is a focusing issue. I haven't used the phone so I can't tell what kind of focus modes it has (centre, spot, etc). Some of the pictures, especially scenery shots look out of focus.

Yeah I thought I saw the focusing issue too, just wasn't sure.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
To the peeps saying that people complaining need to move on are wrong.We are all here because for some reason we like WP and many have held out ( myself ) for a lumia 920 and after reading, hearing, and seeing all the hype from nokia and others regarding the MAIN marketed feature of the device not performing better than its biggest competitor is disappointing. Then hearing issues with the battery is devastating.
Alot of people say wait for the Big sites but engadget will give it a low review, the verge will give it a poor review even if they loved the phone, Gizmodo is pro apple ( fact ) will rape the phone. The only site that seems to be unbiased is slashgear. Once these reviews hit and point out the negatives with the most advertised feature of the phone could be really hurt the os and the phone line. so as a fan of nokia and of wp it upsets us that the phone doesnt live up to the hype . Even if its just a software issue it shouldnt have been released like that at this point in nokias life

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
To the peeps saying that people complaining need to move on are wrong.We are all here because for some reason we like WP and many have held out ( myself ) for a lumia 920 and after reading, hearing, and seeing all the hype from nokia and others regarding the MAIN marketed feature of the device not performing better than its biggest competitor is disappointing. Then hearing issues with the battery is devastating.
Alot of people say wait for the Big sites but engadget will give it a low review, the verge will give it a poor review even if they loved the phone, Gizmodo is pro apple ( fact ) will rape the phone. The only site that seems to be unbiased is slashgear. Once these reviews hit and point out the negatives with the most advertised feature of the phone could be really hurt the os and the phone line. so as a fan of nokia and of wp it upsets us that the phone doesnt live up to the hype . Even if its just a software issue it shouldnt have been released like that at this point in nokias life

What about Wired, AnandTech, GSMArena (I'm sure they'll do a nice camera comparison) and PhoneArena?

If it is a software issue, what do you suggest they do? Delay it? Everyone's already been complaining for months about no release date.

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Nokia screwed themselves . They focused on low light and hurt themself with dayshots. Most pictures are taken during the day.
I would have to ask where or how you come up with the fact that most pics are shot during the day. I know for myself and most everyone I know that while working during the day 5-6 days a week leaves very little time for day shots most at night or poor lit rooms.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Well slap my arse and call me Mandy. With bad quality pictures and terrible battery life there's no excuse for the lumia to be that huge.

gfiz

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
joeynox said:
Gizmodo is pro apple ( fact ) will rape the phone.

I just choked on my coffee... are you hearkening back to pre iPhone gate? Because subsequent to the whole "lost iphone4 in a bar" incident, I don't know of a tech site more anti apple nowadays. (And understandably so)

Anyway...just needed to point that out. Current android user and soon to be WP8 user, so no horse here

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

imanolsoliman

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I posted this in the xserver's thread:
"I'm a young amateur photographer and I've been waiting for this phone since it was announced... but now I'm very disappointed with the camera.
My current phone is an N8 and I use it as my "point-and-shot" while my DSLR is my main camera, and that symbian phone makes a good job, but it's SO is dead... so I was waiting to see how the lumia's camera was, and the daylight pictures look worse than the N8 ones....
However, I've been looking at the pictures for a while and I noticed that the focus and white balance where perfect, but there is a lot of detail loss, and I think that the answer is in postprocessing, not in the sensor.... And that's important: it's a software problem.
The camera is set for take only night or low light pics, so the noise reduction and compression are way too much for a daylight pic..."

I belive that the camera problem is the postprocessing, if there is a way to change it, since it's apparently a software problem, the picture quality will improve.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Did you really though you will saying the words "Well the lumia 920 camera isn't that bad"?

CNET said their phone almost dead in 4 hours.

When you say bad quality pictures I'm thinking webcam quality pictures, which this is not. I'm just trying to get people not to say it's bad or it's crappy or terrible when it really isn't. I think the thread title sums it up nicely, "not as good as we thought," not bad.

4 hours under heavy use. And that wasn't a scientific test. What if they used a Galaxy S III or an HTC One X and it lasted the exact same 4 hours? Now that's got terrible battery life too?

Look at this review, which is the one of the reviews you guys use to point out how "crappy" the camera is:

Nokia Lumia 920 review | Expert Reviews

The phone managed a reasonable six hours and 56 minutes of videoplayback in our battery test, which is significantly better than the HTC 8X's meagre five and a half hours.

So apparently your beloved 8X has even worse battery life than the "already terrible" Lumia 920.

By the way everyone, I'm not trying to start another Lumia vs 8X war, I know the 8X's battery life isn't terrible, but if we go by Winterfang's standards, then it would be.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
from what people have said its an average camera for todays standard. its inline with the s3 but lower than the iphone 5. with all the hype and tech it should produce better images than the iphone. But everyone who has reviewed it has stated the images are soft/ produce less detail. thats upsetting. if nokias amazing" tech " is noise reduction then they need a new camera guy . " some what sarcasm"

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
from what people have said its an average camera for todays standard. its inline with the s3 but lower than the iphone 5. with all the hype and tech it should produce better images than the iphone. But everyone who has reviewed it has stated the images are soft/ produce less detail. thats upsetting. if nokias amazing" tech " is noise reduction then they need a new camera guy . " some what sarcasm"

They did great on the hardware, the problem is probably software, in which case, they need better camera-software-writing people.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire