Lumia 920 camera is is not as good as we thought ????? How is this possible

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
People need to stop saying wait for the comparisons or the big sites because it doesn't matter how big or small te site is . Wmpoweruser.com has a comparison of the lumia 920, iPhone 4S and htc 8x and the 4s provided more detailed images. The images by the 920 are more than adequate but not as sharp.

Yes, how big the site is does not matter, but the methods used do.

Could you post a link for this test?

I doubt Wmpoweruser.com have a laboratory set up with standardized test settings and people who know what is required to make results comparable. If I have to mention one, I'd say GSMArena knows it's stuff.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
^ they do a great job, but it takes awhile for them to get it done.. hopefully that is not the case with the 920

+ The best low light performance
+ The best video performance
If you meant "in the windows phone realm" I agree, but overall.. the 808 takes away those two.

I think you guys need to determine where you will be taking most of your pictures.
You shouldn't have to do that really.. and I don't think you have to with the 920. Daylight quality is adequate.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
All HTC fanboys and Nokia haters in a panic because Nokia might dethrone HTC as the best WP camera.

Deal with it.

oYBJv.gif

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Posts like yours make me wish there was a way to vote posts down.

Aren't us Windows Phone people supposed to be on the same side? Aren't there bigger fish to fry than whether Nokia owns the colorful rounded rectangle?

sgorveatt

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I need better sampling of shots and EXIF data before we make the call on these. it could very well be the 920's auto-ISO is too quick to jump up.

i mean it's a f/2.0 lens so under daylight conditions it should not need an ISO boost. we know it's hands-down the best in lowlight stills. give me daylight shots with ISO set to 100 and the subject relatively close (to mitigate any infinity focus error) and at the center of the frame (to mitigate lens edge sharpness drop off). keep in mind it's an f/2.0 lens being shot wide open so landscapes aren't really what it's designed for.

This guy knows what he's talking about. I too would like to see those shots too.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
^ they do a great job, but it takes awhile for them to get it done.. hopefully that is not the case with the 920

If you meant "in the windows phone realm" I agree, but overall.. the 808 takes away those two.

The 808 has a truly amazing camera that is better than many high quality point and shoot cameras. I understand why you think so highly of it.

It beats the 920 in clarity, details, colors, etc... Almost every category. But it does not beat the 920 in low light.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
This guy knows what he's talking about. I too would like to see those shots too.

/agree. I too think it's a matter of the auto setting of the ISO going too high. With OIS, the camera should be able to tolerate a very very low ISO especially for outdoors day-time landscape shots. Granted f/2.0 isn't ideal for that type of picture but with proper ISO (and commensurate shutter speed aided by OIS), I would think that the full capability of the lens/aperture combo could be brought to bear and theoretically ratchet down the need for the noise-reduction algorithm to kick in at such an aggressive level (which seems to be what is causing the loss of detail).

ryuh3d

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

You shouldn't have to do that really.. and I don't think you have to with the 920. Daylight quality is adequate.

I am certainly not trying to say the Lumia 920 takes bad Daylight photos. But if a person must have the absolute most detailed outdoor landscape picture -- it currently looks like iPhone 5 is the best at that.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The 808 has a truly amazing camera that is better than many high quality point and shoot cameras. I understand why you think so highly of it.

It beats the 920 in clarity, details, colors, etc... Almost every category. But it does not beat the 920 in low light.

Does the 808 have OIS? I guess the 920 might have an advantage in some cases due to that as well.

SuddenlyDinosaur

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Product Face-Offs Digital Cameras : Olympus Stylus XZ-2, Nokia Lumia 920, HTC 8X, Panasonic Lumix GH3, - DigitalVersus

HTC 8X shows far better details and sharpness than Lumia 920....
Lumia 920 take smearing, blur image at ISO 100, too strange

Still can't believe it....

Interesting test site..thanks for posting. And I agree, it's very strange. Especially when you look at the ISO settings versus shutter speed..they don't seem to make sense when compared to the other cameras tested. 920 ISO 100:1/28.2 sec but the Olympus ISO 100:1/8 sec? HTC 8X with a higher ISO but a slower shutter speed of 1/25.1 sec? Granted the f-stop is different between all of those (would be nice to have the EXIF data to compare) and I don't profess to be a photography expert..but something doesn't seem right

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Nokia ****** order of operations:

1. The images were uploaded to imagehosting sites that compress images! Wait for a "real" review from pros!

2. You can't trust reviews from those small dinky sites I never heard of! They have it in for Nokia! Wait for the big sites!

3. The big sites are being paid by Apple! They rushed, biased messes! Wait for reviews from thorough, intelligent sites!

4. Those wordy sites are all fluff! They are lies, all lies!

5. The camera is not that important! It's "good" enough! I see no problems! WTF go buy a real camera! This is a phone!

6. Shut out rest of world. Live in dream world Nokia land inside head.

Reality Check:

Most people were waiting for the Lumia 920 for the camera. These are WP8 phones. They are near identical in most respects anyhow. Nokia attached the name "PureView" to the phone and hyped the **** out of it. Other than the phone design, which they had already mostly used on the Lumia 900, the only thing they had was the camera. Some of you may claim otherwise or not care at all about it, but the camera is the make or break moment for the Lumia 920. You can go get the 8X or Ativ S and be assured to take better detailed daytime shots instead of wasting time with Nokia.

Did I expect any miracles? No. The point is, it can't even achieve the same level of detail as the iPhone 4S/5, the Galaxy S II/III, nor the HTC One X/8X. That's two generations of phones, some over 18 months old, that beat it out. Nokia was too smug and focused too much on the OIS system while ignoring the sensor itself entirely. The Lumia 900 was a blurry, unsharp mess and they haven't made much progress since then.

920 has the best point and shoot camera. Whether your indoors or outdoors you can point and shoot. Cant do that with a S3 i5 etc

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Very confusing indeed. The 8X photos I have seen elsewhere don't have as much detail in them, and the lowlight head-to-head pic that Vlad Savov of The Verge put up on his Twitter feed made the 8X look horrible in comparison.

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Product Face-Offs Digital Cameras : Olympus Stylus XZ-2, Nokia Lumia 920, HTC 8X, Panasonic Lumix GH3, - DigitalVersus

HTC 8X shows far better details and sharpness than Lumia 920....
Lumia 920 take smearing, blur image at ISO 100, too strange

Still can't believe it....

Lumia look's awful to be honest the difference is bigger than I thought.

All HTC fanboys and Nokia haters in a panic because Nokia might dethrone HTC as the best WP camera.

Deal with it.

If you honestly think the photo's taken so far are enough to make it the best camera phone on WP then your deluded.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12