Lumia 920 camera is is not as good as we thought ????? How is this possible

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The 920 will be really good for sunsets/sunrises ... you can capture a lot of detail in the dark areas, like foreground .. very nice.

Nokia set itself up by calling the 920 a Pureview. As such, each photo shoot will have to include the 808 benchmark. So, I will say, "Despite that, the 920 did very well..."

Against more "typical" phones, the 920 did outstanding. I'm excited.

Yes, it did very well.. and the difference to the 808 is not as big as I though, but then again those are only 4 shots. Either way, I would have to agree with Steve that Nokia is getting a lot out of that small sensor.. bravo.

I can't wait to get mine.. I still can't decide on yellow or red...

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The 920 will be really good for sunsets/sunrises ... you can capture a lot of detail in the dark areas, like foreground .. very nice.

I can't wait to get mine.. I still can't decide on yellow or red...
Not to mention most indoor party/family type pics, where a flash is disruptive, and uneven. Plus, no more red-eye.

No question for me: I'm getting black.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Not to mention most indoor party/family type pics, where a flash is disruptive, and uneven. Plus, no more red-eye.

see.. I don't know about that one, we will have to wait and see.. everyone needs to sit still, or else we will get some blur, which is the whole point of the flash, to prevent that from happening :) But I really don't know.. until I try it, there is no way to tell how it works in those situations.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

That is the first review I've seen where some scientific thinking was applied... actually, where any thinking was applied. Good comparisons in controlled environments with a good selection of challenging scenarios stressing different capabilities. Well done! Thank you for the heads up theefman! I would recommend putting that in a separate thread so it doesn't get lost here.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
For her circumstances though, is it better than iPhone 5? Not everyone will want a large phone (as the poster stated) with the higher weight of the Lumia. If the camera isn't seen as on par with the iPhone 5, what advantages does the Lumia 920 have for her? That's the questions that need to be answered.

Exactly. I love my windows phone. As I mentioned, if we deiced to upgrade her phone she would just assume/think to get another iphone. For her, she understands it and it has worked for her for the past three years.

I would have to “sell” her on another phone. Getting a heavier phone, different OS, and not all the same app availability, would be the negatives. The camera was the main selling point for her, and the only reason she would pick this phone over an upgraded iphone, which she is used to. Honestly, I would never "push" a phone on her. She can pick whatever she wants. I have been telling her though that the 920 that is coming out is supposed to have an awesome camera.

Again, she is not bias, but there would have to be something major for her to change. If she picked up both phones at ATT, I know she would pick the iphone…its familiar. She is not a power user at all. I would assume, there are a lot of people in the exact same situation.

I will say that being able to use itunes was an awesome move by MS.

Last edited:

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I would have to “sell” her on another phone.
You can do it.. we can help :D Tell her that the 920 has a real wide angle lens (which is true) and it will make it easier for her to capture those group/family/friends shots... and even better, it will be easier to do so in low light!

True story.. you are not even lying hah ;) like most "sales man" would be tempted to..

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
That is the first review I've seen where some scientific thinking was applied... actually, where any thinking was applied. Good comparisons in controlled environments with a good selection of challenging scenarios stressing different capabilities. Well done! Thank you for the heads up theefman! I would recommend putting that in a separate thread so it doesn't get lost here.
posted the link earlier, i did look around first before posting!
http://forums.windowscentral.com/1733207-post1.htm

SuddenlyDinosaur

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The odds of me upgrading my Titan II are very, very slim but I have been trying to get my wife to experience WP. She is currently using an iphone 3gs. Neither one of us are in a contract, and she has been thinking about getting a new phone.

I have been mentioning the 920 because of the camera, as she does take a lot of pictures.

All this talk does hurt her decision, as the camera was the main selling point. Please understand that she is not a fan of any device. The iphone 3gs was her first smart phone and the only one she has used. Her natural progression if we decided to pay (we try to keep devices until they die) for an upgrade, would be just to get another iphone. The 920 was a phone I was hoping to get her, but the negative reviews of the camera probably changed that. I also know, for her, the bulk of the phone was going to be an issue, but the camera was the #1 selling point.

The issue is, the images would probably be great for most, and for her, as she does not zoom in a crop. She takes a picture and saves it. With the reviews though, which the average person sees, will turn people away.

Since she doesn't seem like a phone person, the iPhone 5 would probably be the best phone for her right now. This will give her a good camera and the familiarity of iOS.

P.S. Does anyone know why the 920 would have such dark pictures in broad daylight?

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I saw yours after posting my link and there's another one also going to AAWP. They
're certainly going to get some traffic today! :D
they deserve the traffic - they do a lot of good work for what was Symbian (all versions) and now Nokia Belle and of course now windows phone (they do feature all manufacturers though not just nokia)
and as we have mentioned Steve is a trusted reviewer of camera phones.

Idiocracy_izruts

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
The most comprehensive set of photos is the one on the Verge. All possible conditions, and the 920 definetly delivers exceptional quality for a smartphone camera. I don't know what the guys from Slashgear did, but quality on the ones from the verge is clearly better. So the way I see it we don't have any scandal with 920's camera quality - it's as good as the hands you put it in, just like any other camera.

lg89

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
These pictures are all over the place. Makes you wonder if the L920 is one of those phones where you have to know what you're doing. It'd be great if people could actually document which settings they're using when they do their reviews.

mainakpradhan

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I have seen and used a prototype of the phone (Nokia Lumia 920). My views on the phone are:

Pros:
- Excellent camera
- Image quality is superb, better than any other android phone/iPhone
- Picture quality under low light in amazing
- Touchscreen really works with gloves and I personally tried with a 2 layer thick jacket as well, and it worked every single time
- Audio quality is good
- Design of hardware is good, I like the shape and looks
- Display is good
- Image stabilization is unbelievable. I did a small comparison with other phones just to see what the hype was about IS.

Cons
- Little heavier than current Samsung phones in market

Overall Rating: 4.5/5

tumaykilinc

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I have seen and used a prototype of the phone (Nokia Lumia 920). My views on the phone are:

Pros:
- Excellent camera
- Image quality is superb, better than any other android phone/iPhone
- Picture quality under low light in amazing
- Touchscreen really works with gloves and I personally tried with a 2 layer thick jacket as well, and it worked every single time
- Audio quality is good
- Design of hardware is good, I like the shape and looks
- Display is good
- Image stabilization is unbelievable. I did a small comparison with other phones just to see what the hype was about IS.

Cons
- Little heavier than current Samsung phones in market

Overall Rating: 4.5/5

I am also getting a Lumia 920 within two weeks, but the image quality is worrying me.

All the photos taken with Lumia 920 seems to be average, worse than SGS3 in day light scenes. I am hoping that this is a software related issue, due to the noise reduction we lose all the sharp details, the image quality becomes muddy when sized 100%.

All i can do is hope that Nokia brings a software update for better JPEG algorithm in day light images.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I am also getting a Lumia 920 within two weeks, but the image quality is worrying me.

All the photos taken with Lumia 920 seems to be average, worse than SGS3 in day light scenes. I am hoping that this is a software related issue, due to the noise reduction we lose all the sharp details, the image quality becomes muddy when sized 100%.

All i can do is hope that Nokia brings a software update for better JPEG algorithm in day light images.

It is a software issue because Nokia rushed to release it and I am convinced tha Nokia will resolve this issue within weeks and come up with a new firmware

Last edited:

tumaykilinc

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
It is a software issue because Nokia rushed too much to release it and I am convinced tha Nokia will resolve this issue within weeks and come up with a new firmware

Thanks for responding. I hope that it is true, I am not expecting a DSLR photo quality, i don't think that is possible from a such small camera. But i expected that it would be better than other flagship phones.

Let's see if Nokia brings a software update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium