Lumia 920 camera is is not as good as we thought ????? How is this possible

mywang

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 920 Camera Test: PureView to the Rescue?

"As far as Windows Phone 8 cameraphones go, we prefer what we saw with the HTC 8X on the whole, even though it does sometimes over-accentuate lines and edges. Otherwise, the Lumia 920 doesn't stand up to the iPhone 5, whether for detail captured, noise levels (especially in low light) or colour reproduction. It's no match for the Galaxy S3 either, which gives better overall results. Worse still?the Lumia 920 doesn't compare favourably to the Lumia 800 on image quality."

"While we were seriously impressed with Nokia's PureView technology in the 808, the Lumia 920 just doesn't have the same wow-factor (although it does use a different sensor). Like many people, we were expecting to see an exceptional-quality smartphone camera in the Lumia 920, but our tests have shown that that's clearly not the case. All in all, the verdict is as surprising as it is disappointing."

"We were so surprised with these results that we got in touch with Nokia to tell them about or findings. As a result, they'll be sending us a second Lumia 920 handset to double-check with the same set of standard tests. Was our test model faulty or is the Lumia 920 camera really so disappointing? Stay tuned for confirmation."

Conclusion : unknown hardware or software issue on Lumia 920, stay tuned

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
This is sad for Nokia. The 920 was their money shot. If its a software issue then that's just poor quality control, if its a hardware issue then nokia is doomed. As far *** all of the reviews go probably 90% have stated the camera is t as good as we were led to believe but a few others have stated it was excellent. I hope the phones aren't released with some type of glitch that only affects certain devices . I was really looking forward to getting the 920 but once again apple with their god phone proves to have the best all around hardware out their. I know how they have done it but they did.
I read in a review that theirs no special effects software or editing software for the 920. That's just bad. The Galaxy s3 , one x, even the 8x all have amazing built in editing and effects built in.
MICROSOFT and Nokia need to step their game up. The launching of windows phone 8 along with the hardware was a mess . There's no way this platform can survive with these companies being foolish like this.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
] There's no way this platform can survive with these companies being foolish like this.
You are right.. Microsoft should help Nokia with the drivers, etc. to port their Pure View PRO technology over to Win NT because their knowledge of the OS is obviously limited. They have the technology ready to go.. they just need to make it work on NT.

There should have been a Windows NT version of the 808 by now for enthusiasts.. all they have to do I slightly modify the body to fit the new SoC, board, and the screen/battery.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
which review or you looking at? if you're talking about Engadget, they also said the Nokia N8 took worst pictures than the Iphone 4

Iphones pre-process all their pictures so it comes out looking more colorful..Nokia imaging retain the same color sharpness

look at comparision between the Nokia 808 and the iPhone 5....the iPhone has more color but very saturated while the Nokia 808 retains the color of the actual image, therefore you can do more post processing on the Nokia images

Most consumers will say the iPhone 5 looks sharper because of the pre-processing of the pictures the phone does..its very magical

one of the forum member has a Nokia Lumia 920, you can ask to take random pictures of the snow, building structures, trees and see for yourself

Personally, I have no great interest in this subject simply because anyone who is buying a phone for its camera has missed the point that it is still a phone. With that disclaimer, ANY digital imaging device that produces jpgs or any format other than raw images files is pre-processing the images. If Apple has better pre-processing algorithms then it will produce better images. If that is the case, it would be a serious failing on the part of Nokia. It is not as if people are going to significantly post-process phone images in Photoshop, and since the files are already processed there isn't even much you could do anyway. As it stands though, I doubt that is the case and (leaving that aside) people are still comparing two different brands of supermarket white bread. It is essentially a comparison of which is less mediocre then even the average mid-range point and shoot.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
This is sad for Nokia. The 920 was their money shot. If its a software issue then that's just poor quality control, if its a hardware issue then nokia is doomed. As far *** all of the reviews go probably 90% have stated the camera is t as good as we were led to believe but a few others have stated it was excellent. I hope the phones aren't released with some type of glitch that only affects certain devices . I was really looking forward to getting the 920 but once again apple with their god phone proves to have the best all around hardware out their. I know how they have done it but they did.
I read in a review that theirs no special effects software or editing software for the 920. That's just bad. The Galaxy s3 , one x, even the 8x all have amazing built in editing and effects built in.
MICROSOFT and Nokia need to step their game up. The launching of windows phone 8 along with the hardware was a mess . There's no way this platform can survive with these companies being foolish like this.

The only foolishness here is people like you who are digging Nokia's grave over a phone that hasn't even SHIPPED yet.

I wish we could have an entire separate sub-forum for morons who only want to complain and people who constantly freak out and overreact. The rest of this forum would be a **** of a lot more enjoyable if we did.

rajkumr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

And almost all of the reviews are done on 920 without the final software as stated clearly in most of the reviews!

eortizr

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
The only foolishness here is people like you who are digging Nokia's grave over a phone that hasn't even SHIPPED yet.

I wish we could have an entire separate sub-forum for morons who only want to complain and people who constantly freak out and overreact. The rest of this forum would be a **** of a lot more enjoyable if we did.

So I guess you are the kind of people that when they go to a buffet and there are some missing entrees does not complain and just eat whatever is available? or buy a car that is rate @ 40 mpg and only gives you 10mpg and do not complain? yeah I know your kind. Conformist.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The Lumia 920 camera reviews seem to be all over the place.

I'm wondering if different places are getting different versions of the firmware.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering if different places are getting different versions of the firmware.

I know you're not supposed to say this, because it's politically incorrect and all, but if they are, that's evidence of further incompetence on the part of Nokia.

When a phone is differentiated primarily by its camera, to the point that it's super-thick and super-heavy as a compromise to accommodate the hardware, you make DAMN sure that review units are FLAWLESS.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
one thing I found when I take pictures is that the picture is significantly more blurred when taking pics with the dedicated camera button. I usually tap the screen and my pics focus and are captured instantly, usually with minimal to no blur idk why. could it be the same with the 920?

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
one thing I found when I take pictures is that the picture is significantly more blurred when taking pics with the dedicated camera button. I usually tap the screen and my pics focus and are captured instantly, usually with minimal to no blur idk why. could it be the same with the 920?

That happens with pretty much all phones. Before the mango update, pretty much all my pictures where crappy, because I was forced to use the button.

dukrem

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Wow that digitalversus comparison is shocking. The 800 beats the 920 and the 8X produced the best result overall, beating iphone5, galaxy s3, 920. I did notice however that the colours are spot on with the 920, slightly better than the 8X (using the Nikon d600 as baseline).

It really does look like a post processing thing, which hopefully means it'll be fixed. To me that artificially grainy look appears like the effect when you use the Noise reduction filter in photoshop on maximum with preserve detail also set to maximum. It also accounts for the loss of true detail in textures. Nokia please listen and turn off noise reduction for ISOs less than 300.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
well, engadget said that they will review the device again once they get the final software for the phone, nokia responded to them that the phone was producing soft images, and engadget will try the camera again the lumia 920 once they get the updated software.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
well, engadget said that they will review the device again once they get the final software for the phone, nokia responded to them that the phone was producing soft images, and engadget will try the camera again the lumia 920 once they get the updated software.
So the ones that are being sold in Canada should have the final firmware installed.. I just doubt that much would actually change in terms of quality.

Again.. that video sample from engadget is amazing, no other phone (and bunch of P&S cameras) come close in terms of stabilizing. That is some amazing engineering from Nokia..

Lord Vadger

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Product Face-Offs Digital Cameras : Olympus Stylus XZ-2, Nokia Lumia 920, HTC 8X, Panasonic Lumix GH3, - DigitalVersus

HTC 8X shows far better details and sharpness than Lumia 920....
Lumia 920 take smearing, blur image at ISO 100, too strange

Still can't believe it....

Yikes, the "Detail 2: 4 x 6," "Detail 2: 8 x 12," and "Detail 2: 100%" tests are disgusting for the 920 compared to the 8X. I never would have expected that. It almost makes me wonder if maybe the OIS was enabled while they took these images on a tripod--with DSLRs and lenses with image stabilization it's important to turn off the image stabilization (unless they have a panning setting for tripod use) when used on a tripod because the gyros will be enabled and trying to correct for motion that isn't present. I really don't know how else to explain that poor performance... the 920's images were even taken at a slightly faster shutter speed!

srmiller82

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Ok looking at these pics those are clearly out of focus or someone had it set wrong lol, I'm sorry but I can't base anything off these pics there is no way Nokia would ship a phone that took pics like that, if they did it will be fixes in less than a month stop worrying it will easily beat all android/iPhones daytime or night eeeeeasily.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Looking at scenery shots there is definitely some kind of focus issue. there is no way it should be that bad, especially considering it takes good pics at night.

As someone else mentioned it could also be an aperture issue.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Interesting that Engadget said they tried some pictures from an earlier prototype that didn't have these issues. It leads me to believe that the camera software is still in a state of flux, and they haven't finalized what the right mix of default settings will be.

Faux Carnival

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
This is hard to say but I thought that this would be the perfect phone. Every aspect better than iPhone 5, killer camera, killer software, etc... I have to admit it is not even close. Such a frustration.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05