Lumia 920 camera is is not as good as we thought ????? How is this possible

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
After reading this thread it appears that the L900 is the best for low light and night time shots, but it's not a better overall camera than the IPhone 5.

Fortunately for me, I don't care about which camera is the best for a cell phone as long as it's very good. So it's a win for me.

However, it's still very disappointing because this is the one main thing that was truly going to separate this phone from the others and it does not. The camera was not only supposed to be better, but supposed to blow the competition. It's not even better.

...I just don't get where this kind of thinking comes from. I just don't.

The camera in Lumia 920 was supposed to be better, yes. It was supposed to blow the competition away, yes. It was supposed to have absolutely unparalleled performance over any other device out there. And it has exactly that.

WHERE? IN THE LOW LIGHT CONDITIONS AND VIDEO. AS PROMISED.

Nokia has never promised anything similar about the daylight performance. Based on the sensor size and other technical details about the camera module, there has never been anything spectacular to be expected in that front. But still for reasons unknown, some people seem to ignore all the official communication about the performance, put their own expectations in place of those instead and proceed to judge it accordingly what they think it should've been.

ps. I also don't get how on Earth iPhone 5 can be considered "better overall camera" due to alleged minor edge over Lumia 920 camera in daylight conditions when it still has hopeless performance in low light conditions?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

The camera in Lumia 920 was supposed to be better, yes. It was supposed to blow the competition away, yes. It was supposed to have absolutely unparalleled performance over any other device out there. And it has exactly that.

Nokia has never promised anything similar about the daylight performance. Based on the sensor size and other technical details about the camera module, there has never been anything spectacular to be expected in that front. But still for reasons unknown, some people seem to ignore all the official communication about the performance, put their own expectations in place of those instead and proceed to judge it accordingly what they think it should've been.

ps. I also don't get how on Earth iPhone 5 can be considered "better overall camera" due to alleged minor edge over Lumia 920 camera in daylight conditions when it still has hopeless performance in low light conditions?

Take a look at communities of any big upcoming game. They create hype based on their own expectations that wasnt even hyped by the devs and then complain how the game didnt meet up to (their) hype. Same stuff :/

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

I'm going by what I'm reading and from comparison photo's. Relax dude. I don't know jack until this phone officially comes out.

However, to say that it's only been advertised and hyped as having only the best low light camera among cell phones is wrong. They hyped up everything about the camera.

To act like you expected this from the start is hard to believe.

Everyone was hoping for some huge 40+MP camera. That didn't happen and some people were bummed out, but everyone seemed to move past it.

Nokia gave this whole speech about how MP's aren't important and kept hyping up the Purview and everything else.

It was supposed to blow the competition away. Even the low light doesn't blow the competition away. Other high end devices do a satisfying job.

As far as what phones camera is best overall? Well, that becomes a matter of opinion now.

Personally, I'd want a phone that takes better day pictures or with high light. So far, that makes the IPhone 5 a winner. (Again, so far.)

How many people actually take any meaningful pics at night time or in the dark anyway? I'm guessing not very often.

In "my" opinion, so far this has been a fail.

A lot of people are buying this phone or switching to ATT to get this phone for a reason or a few reasons. For me, it's the HD screen.

If that HD screen isn't what I hope it'll be than I'm going to be bummed out and wish I got the slightly smaller, SD card slot, removable covers and removable battery I would have gotten with the 810.

tumaykilinc

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

EErBP.png

On Nokia.com it says "Take blur-free photos every time"
So every time doesn't include day time? And if it does, why all the images are blurry and even more, muddy, below the performance of other cameras which have worse lenses?

If you are not convinced, take a look at this:
lzsQY.png

Take bright, blur-free photos and videos in any light conditions with PureView technology.

I somehow believe this will be fixed.

Last edited:

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
However, to say that it's only been advertised and hyped as having only the best low light camera among cell phones is wrong. They hyped up everything about the camera.

I understand now a bit more now, but I still don't agree at all. Especially the hype part. For example the picture tumaykilinc is referring is about the fact that thanks to the OIS you don't get those blurry shots from accidentally moving the camera while pressing the shutter button. Which you don't.

It was supposed to blow the competition away. Even the low light doesn't blow the competition away. Other high end devices do a satisfying job.

The comparison in the video and low light performance have been exactly what they originally claimed in my opinion. The grainy, noise-filled pictures taken by competitors in low light conditions are far away from satisfying.

tumaykilinc

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I understand now a bit more now, but I still don't agree at all. Especially the hype part. For example the picture tumaykilinc is referring is about the fact that thanks to the OIS you don't get those blurry shots from accidentally moving the camera while pressing the shutter button. Which you don't.

The comparison in the video and low light performance have been exactly what they originally claimed in my opinion. The grainy, noise-filled pictures taken by competitors in low light conditions are far away from satisfying.

I understand what you mean and respect your thoughts, however i don't agree 100%.

The New Nokia Lumia 920 Review - on Sale In November 2012 - YouTube

In this video -I am not sure if it's an official video from Nokia?-, he clearly states this:
"You will be able to take unbelievably pictures and lovely videos in any situation, whether it's day-time, whether it's the evening when you are out-doors or in-doors."

So from my understanding, it should take unbelievably pictures in the day-light. Of course we can't expect a DSLR quality, but something like or better than iPhone 5's day-time photography.

Right now it takes unbelievably pictures in the night-time as advertised, and unbelievably pictures in day-light in a bad way.

weetigo

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
The only foolishness here is people like you who are digging Nokia's grave over a phone that hasn't even SHIPPED yet.

I wish we could have an entire separate sub-forum for morons who only want to complain and people who constantly freak out and overreact. The rest of this forum would be a **** of a lot more enjoyable if we did.

It would be called 'trolls live here'. Make it happen.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Time to get a life. If the picture quality isn't what you want move on and get something else. Seems some have forgotten this is a PHONE and are taking the way a firm is marketing their product way too seriously.

MattiasH

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Engadget.com say that earlier pictures from the 920 had a better performance. Is it anyone ho have a old pictures from 920? Would like to compare...

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I can't believe I have to say this for a 3rd time in this thread. You guys have to stop sugar coating the issue. It's almost 2013, camera phones from 2/3 years ago have taken beautiful photos during the day. We have the s3, onex iphone 4/4s/5 and various others who take excellent photos during daylight. In the day and age day light photos should be on par with the iPhone 4. Saying the Lumia 920 is doing what it's supposed to do is moronic.forget the night shots. The du shots can't be blurry!!! They have to show detail!!! There is no excuse for it not doing this at this point in time unless there is some bug in the hardware or software.
Compensating by lowering the contrast/exposure is not acceptable . This "bug" should not be present and the fact that it is proves that the companies in charge of the success of this platform are pathetic. I don't care if its patches 5 days after release. This type of bug proves the phone was rushed and who knows whatelse will be wrong with it. With that said I'm undecided what to purchase. I'm 70/30 in favor of the lumia 920 over the 8x

zolgi

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I can't believe I have to say this for a 3rd time in this thread. You guys have to stop sugar coating the issue. It's almost 2013, camera phones from 2/3 years ago have taken beautiful photos during the day. We have the s3, onex iphone 4/4s/5 and various others who take excellent photos during daylight. In the day and age day light photos should be on par with the iPhone 4. Saying the Lumia 920 is doing what it's supposed to do is moronic.forget the night shots. The du shots can't be blurry!!! They have to show detail!!! There is no excuse for it not doing this at this point in time unless there is some bug in the hardware or software.
Compensating by lowering the contrast/exposure is not acceptable . This "bug" should not be present and the fact that it is proves that the companies in charge of the success of this platform are pathetic. I don't care if its patches 5 days after release. This type of bug proves the phone was rushed and who knows whatelse will be wrong with it. With that said I'm undecided what to purchase. I'm 70/30 in favor of the lumia 920 over the 8x
Daylight pictures in Lumia 920 has been shot using automatic settings so clearly it doesnt work right except in low-light. When you do your own settings it does much better in daylight. It has to be software related problem.

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site

If you think the iPhone 4 takes good pictures you are either delusional or stupid. In perfect lighting you might get a photo you can use for something (still worse than any picture I seen from the Lumia 920), but as soon as you go inside or its not 1 pm outside with loads of light the pictures becomes crap. Also since theres no settings to change the exposure and such you cannot even try to make it better.

The iPhone 5 on the other hand seems to take some nice daylight photos.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Click to view quoted image

On Nokia.com it says "Take blur-free photos every time"
So every time doesn't include day time? And if it does, why all the images are blurry and even more, muddy, below the performance of other cameras which have worse lenses?
Actually, it means exactly that.. I have a PureView phone and gives me blur-free photos.. 99% of the time, which I can't say about my iPhone 5.. in fact, far from it.. especially when flash photography is needed, the iPhone 5 produces unusable photographs, but my PureView smartphone acts like a proper camera...

It also produces amazing results during the day.. here, take a look: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=424646B5863880EB!384

If you click "view original" you can see the full resolution photo.. and yes, its totally "blur free"

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Can someone explain to me how Nokia can make a phone and promote the camera as the selling point for the device yet every review that has come out for it says the camera takes dull pictures, not Sharp or crisp? I just don't understand. How can the IPhone 4/5 still have the best phone camera

THIS!

I think I'm with you joeynox but iphone having the "best" camera is a stretch. I saw pictures yesterday from a recently released cell phone with the most stunning pictures I ever saw and it wasn't from an iphone.

As much as I do LOVE what my Nokia 900 can do with Windows Phone Tango, the camera implementation has been less than stellar. These results I saw on that website would put the Nokia 920 out of contention for my cell phone dollars at least until Technocove.com gets the review units in and I can compare, contrast my own snaps and see with my OWN eyes. If the results prove me wrong, I'll continue to promote Nokia. If its no different than the 900, I'm finished with Nokia this trip.

The 920 lowlight minus flash is a plus, but its the reason why cameras have always come with a flash kit because it works. Image stabilization is cool but a fast shutter fixes that. The HTC 8x continues to look like my next model.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Actually, it means exactly that.. I have PureView phone and gives me blur-free photos.. 99% of the time, which I can't say about my iPhone 5.. in fact, far from it.. especially when flash photography is needed, the iPhone 5 produces unusable photographs, but my PureView smartphone acts like a proper camera...

It also produces amazing results during the day.. here, take a look: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=424646B5863880EB!384

Those are beautiful vlad0. Thanks for sharing.

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
The 920 lowlight minus flash is a plus, but its the reason why cameras have always come with a flash kit because it works. Image stabilization is cool but a fast shutter fixes that. The HTC 8x continues to look like my next model.

I think the flashes on any mobile phone sucks (I haven't tested the ones which actually use xenon flashes), they always only light up a small portion of the picture. I'd much rather be able to have a longer shutter due to image stabilization.

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site

I agree. From day one this phone/camera has been marketed by Nokia as the must have for the vampire community, which is a rapidly growing demographic. Vampires don't care how their daylight photos turn out because they're never going to take any, and if they do, they won't live to see them. And they're most certainly not going to buy IPhone5's for their counter intelligence operatives responsible for monitoring werewolf activities. That would just be stupid. Hey, do you see the wolf? Do you see what he's doing? Sorry, dude. I don't see the wolf. In fact, I don't really see anything at all. What camera were you using when you took these photographs? If you say IPhone, I'm staking you right here.

The first comparison photos I saw were on slashgear, with the GSIII. Personally, I was a bit shocked and very disappointed. I think my 6-7 year old LG flip phone takes better pics in comparison to what I saw on that site. My phone is pretty much broken and doesn't work very well as a communications device. The 920 is the phone that had me exicited, and I've never been excited about a cell phone. My next phone will be my first smart phone. I guess I'm now a bit more optomistic. I've seen some daylight pictures that I would characterize as very good/great, and I'm hopeful that whatever issues exist may be resolved via software tweaks.

Calot

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Those pics from The Verge calmed my nerves.

Clearly I was right, those other dudes from other reviews were just kind of mongoloids that have not the smallest clue on how to handle a smartphone camera.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos