Lumia 920 camera is is not as good as we thought ????? How is this possible

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
But still for reasons unknown, some people seem to ignore all the official communication about the performance, put their own expectations in place of those instead and proceed to judge it accordingly what they think it should've been
That is actually Nokia's problem.. they have two PureView products currently on sale, and they are both amazing, but in very different ways, and that confuses people. They are both branded "pureview" so naturally you would expect similar results, right ?

Well.. that is not the case. One is aimed at video stabilization and low light performance and the other is aimed at image quality and lossless zooming.

Now, when they combine the two, don't expect a 9mm chassis without a hump on the back.

johnnyrussoa3

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
The 920 is still running on pre-release software. Miriam from Engadget confirmed with Nokia that they will be releasing updates that should resolve the camera issues. She assured me the camera will get better. In the meantime the performance an be adjusted with the camera settings. Note that in the Engadget review is was stated that they did not experience the daytime issues during there visit to Nokia HQ

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
That is actually Nokia's problem.. they have two PureView products currently on sale, and they are both amazing, but in very different ways, and that confuses people. They are both branded "pureview" so naturally you would expect similar results, right ?

Well.. that is not the case. One is aimed at video stabilization and low light performance and the other is aimed at image quality and lossless zooming.

Now, when they combine the two, don't expect a 9mm chassis without a hump on the back.

The PureView camera in the 808 is 41 megapixels, and the PureView camera in the 920 is 8.7 megapixels. People shouldn't expect them to produce similar results.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
More importantly the 808 has a much larger sensor.

Exactly.

Now.. the 808 is kind of an odd case really, from a technical point of view anyway. Here is a bit of background info, and I will get back to it:

There is something the industry has been doing for years, and I blame the marketing departments for it. They've been concentrated on increasing the number of pixels, because they gradually made the consumer base believe that the more pixels you have, the better the quality, which is not necessarily the case. So they've been increasing the number of pixels, but that rate doesn't correspond to increasing the size of the sensors, so now we are down to 1.1 micron pixels.. which is why they have to use BSI sensors, but that is another topic.

The size of the sensor is much more important, which is directly related to the size of the pixels. The bigger the pixels, the more photons they collect, the more photons.. less noise, better quality.. That is why the DSLRs shoot at 4.0+ micron/pixel and go up to 6.x

Instead of the megapixel count, they should have marketed the pixel size .. "blalal 2.5 micron pixels, auto focus, blalal"

Here is a great little website on the subject:

http://6mpixel.org/en/

Here is a nice graph of the pixel sizes in various cameras

A8UZb.jpg

as you can see, big pixels in the higher end stuff... now, I am NOT saying that big pixels is all there is to it, far from that.. but its a very important part of it.

Back to the 808 .. both the 920 and the 808 shoot at 1.4 micron pixels, so therefore the size of the 808's sensor shouldn't matter that much, and it doesn't.. if you take a look at a full resolution 38Mpix image from the 808 and you compare it to another 1.4 micron pixel image, you will find that the difference is very little.

What Nokia have done is quite brilliant actually, they took that huge number of pixels, which was needed for zooming, and decided that they can combine 6-7 pixels into one in real time, so that the produced pixel can act like a bigger one, even tho the sensor itself is cut into 1.4 micron pixels. In the process their algorithm cleans up the noise, and whatever other garbage the pixels collected, and you end up with a.. more "pure" pixels in a sense, hence the name "PureView". That is only possible when you shoot at 5/8Mpix mode..

Here is how it looks like:

pixel_length_comparison@808_pureview_sensor.jpg

This is why the 808 outperforms all 1.4 micron pixel cameras out there, and some dedicated mid range P&S as well.. its .. pure magic.

Last edited:

vain000

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Those pics from The Verge calmed my nerves.

Clearly I was right, those other dudes from other reviews were just kind of mongoloids that have not the smallest clue on how to handle a smartphone camera.

Lol. Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about. Firstly, they didn't compare the photos with any other phone so you can't compare quality with other phones. Secondly, they are resized, making the photos look better than they actually are. Compare at 100% and you will see how poor the Nokia performs compared to other phones (during the day). It's quite sad, really.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't think anyone was expecting pictures on par with a dsl or the 808. I think we were pretty much expecting photos on par or exceeds the Iphone4s/5.now for pictures taken at night nokia has delivered that. The phone cant compete and drive an ecosystem if it takes blurry daylight pictures. My 2mp canon digital takes crystal clear pictures during the day. I know I know you can adjust setting to compensate but until this issue is fixed its a major epic fail.

the video recording is amazing

zolgi

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
No one is saying the lowlight performance is bad. It's awesome. It's how other phones out perform it during the day which is the problem.
Haven?t you read about this? It?s because the software not doing great job in automatic mode in daylight but when you play with settings it rocks. I?m sure Nokia will do something to this like allways.

vain000

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Haven?t you read about this? It?s because the software not doing great job in automatic mode in daylight but when you play with settings it rocks. I?m sure Nokia will do something to this like allways.

Are you trying to say that the phone is using excessive noise reduction during daylight shots and that's the reason for the very poor detail? It's possible I suppose... I am not convinced yet, but I hope you are right. Either way, it's shocking Nokia would allow this to happen.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site

You can mess with the settings in the other phones also, to take better night pictures.

zolgi

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Are you trying to say that the phone is using excessive noise reduction during daylight shots and that's the reason for the very poor detail? It's possible I suppose... I am not convinced yet, but I hope you are right. Either way, it's shocking Nokia would allow this to happen.
It has to be something related to software, if Engadget said when they visited in Finland, camera was better in daylight than now.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

I think that the difference between these pics and the pics from the phone I saw yesterday, is the difference between LCD and LED TV. LCD color looks good but a TV with an LED resolution is more vivid, bright and have more color depth. These pics don't compare to my eyes and I have 4 of them. lol. Not nearly as sharp as they should be. IMHO. It is the reason why I suspect Nokia used a professional camera crew and professional camera gear to demonstrate image stabilization before they got caught and why even now they promote its low light image capture quality and not the crispness of the shot, which is what they focus SHOULD be since the 900. IMHO.

But if these pictures work for you, that's what counts. Not so much for me.

ouchyoung

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

Actually I am also confused with this. If they are applying noise reduction to the photos taken in daytime too, they blurry should be distributed almost equal across the pic, however, the center of the pics are always better than those on the outer areas. So I was doubting whether there's something wrong with the lens, as when Nokia is producing the device in a bigger quantity, they cannot keep the same quality as they did to the prototype device.

lg89

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
It might not be a physical defect with the lense, but a software problem related to how the focusing mechanism.

There could be another problem with the noise reduction as well. It's possible that there are two problems with the software. My inclination is that this is primarily a software calibration issue and not a physical problem with the camera.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Actually I am also confused with this. If they are applying noise reduction to the photos taken in daytime too, they blurry should be distributed almost equal across the pic, however, the center of the pics are always better than those on the outer areas. So I was doubting whether there's something wrong with the lens, as when Nokia is producing the device in a bigger quantity, they cannot keep the same quality as they did to the prototype device.

Almost all cameras are like that.. the edges of the frame will always be softer because of the they way the optics work, at least those tiny ones we have on phones. The wider the lens, the more apparent it becomes.. the 920s lens is pretty wide.

Lets hope Carl Zeiss didn't mess this one up.

The auto focus system plays a role too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans