Lumia 920 camera is is not as good as we thought ????? How is this possible

Cellus13

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I was never going to buy it for the camera. Really people overhyped "pureview". Pureview is still good for the Lumia 920 its just didn't meet expectations. I dont want a hideous big camera in the Lumia 920. Keep the design beautiful and simple. The camera is big enough as it is.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Pureview is still good for the Lumia 920 its just didn't meet expectations.

Depends how you look at it.

The whole point of a camera phone, is that its always with you. You shouldn't need to wait for perfect light, you shouldn't need to stand perfectly still to take a good snap/video.

The Missus' iPhone takes great pictures in great light, but the amount of photos that are unusable, due to poor light a lot more than i'd like.

A good camera phone needs to be versitile, and the hardware of the 920 seems to have that covered, even if it needs a bit of tweeking for the camera nerds.

As a non-camera geek, the 8X, iPhone, Galaxy S3, 920, etc all take good photos during the day. Definitely good enough for me.

The only thing they havn't really covered, is how fast the camera is. My HD7 is a nightmare with any sort of movement. The iPhone is exceptionally quick, so can take a photo of moving stuff easily. I've not seen much about that with any of the reviews. Even of the 8X, which is supposed to have a camera processing chip to make thigns faster.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
That is good news. I've been holding off to see if this gets fixed. Was even thinking about waiting for the next generation of awesome smart phones. Maybe some quad core wp8 action.

Well, Nokia has showed they respond promptly to bugs and have awesome customer support. That's more than can be said of their competitors.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Really people overhyped "pureview".
I respectfully disagree.

PureView has two versions at the moment, and that leads to some confusion on the subject. They bring two different set of attributes, both equally amazing..

If you want sharpness, image quality, zooming: buy "phase 1"
If you want optical image stabilization, and better low light performance: buy "phase 2"

In both cases they are way ahead of the competition in their own right..

ClEgC.jpg

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, Nokia has showed they respond promptly to bugs and have awesome customer support. That's more than can be said of their competitors.

On the other hand, their competitors (HTC 8X or any other WP8 phone excluded) seem to be able to get product widely distributed for sale in a timely and logical fashion.

That's more than can be said for Nokia.

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I respectfully disagree.

PureView has two versions at the moment, and that leads to some confusion on the subject. They bring two different set of attributes, both equally amazing..

If you want optical image stabilization, and better low light performance: buy "phase 2"

Click to view quoted image

http://i.nokia.com/blob/view/-/1824212/data/2/-/Download-pureview-820.pdf

Here is the full PDF document. Really interesting.

tumaykilinc

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I respectfully disagree.

Click to view quoted image

So, we shouldn't expect a sharper image quality than what it is right now with Lumia 920?

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
So, we shouldn't expect a sharper image quality than what it is right now with Lumia 920?

.. I don't think they are getting the maximum out of the hardware, just don't expect it to be at "phase 1" levels. They can still improve on the jpeg processing...just like they did with the 900.

But yes, technically they can't be much difference between the two (900-920) when it comes to noise levels and sharpness.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
On the other hand, their competitors (HTC 8X or any other WP8 phone excluded) seem to be able to get product widely distributed for sale in a timely and logical fashion.

That's more than can be said for Nokia.

So the competitors can ship out crappy products out faster is a good thing. Gotcha.

Sent from something AMAZING using my pinkie

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

tumaykilinc

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
.. I don't think they are getting the maximum out of the hardware, just don't expect it to be at "phase 1" levels. They can still improve on the jpeg processing...just like they did with the 900.

But yes, technically they can't be much difference between the two (900-920) when it comes to noise levels and sharpness.

Thanks for the respond, expecting 808 quality would be too much. I am expecting the same day-light quality as the iPhone's one, as i am currently switching from one. I take photos in the day-light and also want a WP8 phone, so 808 is not for me.

Thanks for taking your time again.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the respond, expecting 808 quality would be too much. I am expecting the same day-light quality as the iPhone's one, as i am currently switching from one. I take photos in the day-light and also want a WP8 phone, so 808 is not for me.

Thanks for taking your time again.

Which iPhone do you have ? The 4 was pretty bad, then 4s was actually pretty good.. and now the 5 is slightly better than the 4s. But both of them are good in day-light.. not so much in low light.

I have an iphone 5 and I am having a lot of problems with the flash... the thing won't focus fast enough and the pics come out blurry.

I think that nokia can get very close to the iphone 4s/5 daylight performance.. even now the difference is not that big really.

The 808 is a "niche" device as they call it.. few people would actually spend $500 on such a phone. And it was mostly built to stamp Nokia's authority on mobile imaging and sound recording :)

I can't wait for them to port Phase 1 to Windows NT ... it took them 5 years to develop it, it deserves to be in their latest flagships for sure. And then just imagine when they combine phase 1 and 2 into one device :D

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Reading the more recent reader comments on Engadget, about their Lumia 920 review, I stumbled across the below post. Obviously, I have no way of knowing how accurate the poster's comment is. Still, it seems to parallel the confidence of the twitter post I've seen from Nokia France?s communication manager, that a fix was already in the works:

meetcephas
"This phone is awesome.. The bluring in the puctures is due to a stale firmware. Just wait until the first fw upgrade which is right around the conner. I live in Europe and was dissapointed to see all the reviewer's biased opinions (except Slashgear), so i ran over to a nokia store to get a hands on experience. The phone was a masterpeice of Scandinavian design (curves, the screen, details & the way it felt solid in my hands). Weight? No big deal, as u dont need to worry bout buy covers, it is made up of a very durable material.

I asked the sales guy at nokia about the problem in daylight imaging nd he told me that he saw some reviews too and that this problem exists only in the phones with specific carrier branding in the UK and the US as they were released to them a month before the actual release. Out here our carriers sell phones from Nokia and therefore they come with the latest firmware."

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Reading the more recent reader comments on Engadget, about their Lumia 920 review, I stumbled across the below post. Obviously, I have no way of knowing how accurate the poster's comment is. Still, it seems to parallel the confidence of the twitter post I've seen from Nokia France?s communication manager, that a fix was already in the works:

meetcephas
"This phone is awesome.. The bluring in the puctures is due to a stale firmware. Just wait until the first fw upgrade which is right around the conner. I live in Europe and was dissapointed to see all the reviewer's biased opinions (except Slashgear), so i ran over to a nokia store to get a hands on experience. The phone was a masterpeice of Scandinavian design (curves, the screen, details & the way it felt solid in my hands). Weight? No big deal, as u dont need to worry bout buy covers, it is made up of a very durable material.

I asked the sales guy at nokia about the problem in daylight imaging nd he told me that he saw some reviews too and that this problem exists only in the phones with specific carrier branding in the UK and the US as they were released to them a month before the actual release. Out here our carriers sell phones from Nokia and therefore they come with the latest firmware."
Damn carriers!!! :mad: :lol:

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

meetcephas

I think their next batch that is suppoed to be released in rest of europe and Asia will have the upgraded firmware will have this issue fixed. 90% of the world is still waiting to get their hands on Lumia 920.

Ole Mensching

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Batches in Europe

No, I have one of the batches in Europe and it's the same here, the pictures are just blurry ; (

"Originally Posted by riffraffy

meetcephas

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon