Offline search in Nokia Maps and Drive

alsg

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
The review of the Lumia 920 on Expert Reviews claims that searching in an offline map requires a data connection (second paragraph on Nokia Lumia 920 review). This even if all map data (cities, roads, streets, ... and POIs) is available offline.

Can a Lumia 920 owner confirm this? Does the same apply to Nokia Drive?

If true, this would seriously limit the usability of the offline maps!

Thanks!

Last edited:

haikus

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site

alsg

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi alsg, this is Pino from Nokia.
Indeed the preinstalled version of Nokia Maps (v 2.9) does not support offline search, but don't worry a new version (v 3.0) is being released in the next hours with full offline capabilities and additional features...

Hi Pino,
thanks for clarifying this. Free and real offline maps and navigation are one of the major reasons for me to move to Nokia.
Another related question: does Nokia City Lens require a data connection when you have the maps of the city available offline?

Thanks!

haikus

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi Pino,
thanks for clarifying this. Free and real offline maps and navigation are one of the major reasons for me to move to Nokia.
Another related question: does Nokia City Lens require a data connection when you have the maps of the city available offline?

Thanks!
Hi alsg, sorry for the late answer.
Yes, Nokia City Lens still requires an online connection. This is because it has been designed to show you the most updated information about places around you.
We include some POI in offline maps, but not all of them and if you are not connected we can't show you the latest reviews, photos, etc.
In other words, because of the specific use case Nokia City Lens is addressing, being online makes much more sense.

Ryan Sheng Lim

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I had Nokia maps 3.something on my lumia 920, and it couldn't pinpoint my location(no green button or halo, at all when using it offline). After that, I reset the phone, and i'm now using nokia map 2.9 . And this time, it cannot search offline. The navigation app works fine, but when I'm on the road the navigation arrow doesn't even move, it responded after some time, let's say 10 mins or so. I'm very frustrated with this. Please help me.

haikus

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi Ryan. Please update Nokia Maps to the latest version and you will enjoy offline search and routing.
When offline, your location is going to be estimated, especially if you are indoors and you can't get GPS signal. This is why your location won't be "green". To improve this experience, go outdoors if offline, or go online to enable A-GPS. Also, the smartphone will learn your behavior and will predict your location faster, the more you use it, even offline.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea