Lumia 920 for T-Mobile unofficial/official thread

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
For the first time ever, I am finally getting 3G on my iPhone 4 on T-Mobile! Hmm... It really tempts me to just buy an unlocked Lumia 920 now that I know I can at least get such speeds at home. Guess I've got some decisions to make. :p

yodies

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I put in a pre-order on the Negri Electronics Grey unlocked 920. They listed the bands as AWS/1700 MHz, but I sent them an email to verify that on the box when they get in the shipment. Will reply here when I get a response.

yodies

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Here's the response I got:

Thank you for contacting Negri Electronics. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to browse our site and take interest in the Lumia 920 (Unlocked). We expect this unit to support the WCDMA 850/900/1700/1900 /2100 MHZ bands. Once the unit is available we will confirm this information at that time. At this time this unit is on pre-order, meaning not in stock. Unfortunately we are unable to confirm when this unit will be available. We do please ask that you check our site daily for any updates. Feel free to contact us if you have any further questions or concerns. Thank you for choosing Negri Electronics. Have a great day.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I never, ever pre-order. You never know what shops will have the device first. Pre-ordering just ties your purchase to one particular store. Just wait until someone officially has it in stock, then buy, or else you could be waiting several days longer than others.

yodies

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I never, ever pre-order. You never know what shops will have the device first. Pre-ordering just ties your purchase to one particular store. Just wait until someone officially has it in stock, then buy, or else you could be waiting several days longer than others.

Valid point, but I'm glad I pre-ordered, because they just increased their price by $50. I don't have to be the first to have it--I am more interested in getting a certain color, because I'm just going to send it out to be laser-etched with a design I want.

mcmikel

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Screen capture from my day trip to Buffalo today with my Rogers Lumia 920, T-Mobile SIM inserted.

On the MMS front a very helpful rep in a T-Mobile store spent a good 20 minutes trying to find MMS APN settings that would work, but to no avail. Apparently his internal help site lists WP8 settings as "Coming soon" so this remains a work in progress.

It was quite funny to have the Lumia 920 in both a T-Mobile and AT&T store where customers were left by reps who gathered around to witness what they had not yet seen!

Thanks for posting this. I switched from AT&T after I was unable to get 4G working. Could you please share your APN so I can confirm that I have the proper settings as well?

Thanks

MAERSK

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Just found out that probably the unlocked Euro/International? versions don't have the 1700/2100 bands. So far we know there's a

920.2 (ATT model) GSM: 850,900,1800,1900 / WCDMA: 850,900,1900,2100 / LTE: 700, 700/2100

920.3 (Rogers CA Black) GSM: QUAD / WCDMA: 850,900,1900,2100,1700/2100 / LTE: 700,850,1900,1700/2100

920.3 (Dev Kit) GSM: QUAD / WCDMA: 850,900,1900,2100,1700/2100 / LTE: 700,850,1900,1700/2100

And I just found the Euro model

920.1 (CV FR) [meaning french model] GSM: QUAD / WCDMA: 850,900,1900,2100 / LTE: not labeled on box!

french uboxing video here:

Nokia Lumia 920: Unboxing / D?ballage - YouTube!

and a bad pic:

bJNm8.jpg

I seriously hope there's more models than just two and one of those being a rare one :/

*Forgot to add that the 920/820s in Nokia branded boxes with headphones come with matching colored ones.

Last edited:

mcmikel

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
It is looking like the Rogers version IS the developers unit just a different batch number is all. I wonder how much longer Rogers will continue to sell this version? Thanks for the info by the way.

Someone who has the developers unit is sending me a screen shot of their apn as the T-Mobile access point that I have on mine, the mms does not work.

Now someone just has to work on tethering. The T-Mobile unlimited plan does not allow tether but I heard there is a work around.

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Someone said that Roger only has 1 exclusive month in Canada, so that could be the reason why they allow to have pentaband Lumia 920. In the other hand, AT&T has 6 months exclusive, so they pretty much don't want their phone to be used with other carriers as well as pushing $99 on contract is a very good move to get more people who are obsessed with this phone to get on board with AT&T.

About the tethering, one guy posted at XDA that he got the tethering working by add or changing the keyboard. That triggers the phone to get OTA update from Nokia/Microsoft. I guess all we have to do is to update our phone with some package to allow tethering and other stuff to be working properly. Also, keep in mind WP8 is pretty new and T-Mobile does not have any WP8 til next week so some minor issue could happens. My suggestion is to wait until next week where most carrier be able to release their devices.

mcmikel

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Hello Maersk

I am new to GSM as I am coming over from Sprint (CDMA) Looking at your post, are you saying the Dev unit has more frequencies than the Roger unit because of this: GSM: GSM: / QUAD WCDMA vs QUAD / WCDMA? Just trying to understand why you said they have frequencies.

Thanks

mcmikel

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Hello Spincel

Thanks for the info. Could you please PM (or post in the forum here, not sure of the rules) the XDA post? I would like to give that a shot.

Yeah I know about the waiting unfortunately that did not work out to well with AT&T. I first had my DEV unit on AT&T and the techs (not very knowledgeable) told me that the phone will not work until launch day because it was not in their system as of a week ago. Fast forward to today... 2 hours on the phone with AT&T techs to get assistance and no luck on LTE or tethering. I was getting ok up/down speeds but not as good as I am getting with T-Mobile now.

I do think that T-mobile is more friendly to unlocked phones vs AT&T. They gave me the print out for the APN, the guy in the store actually new about my problem (they are having to program a lot of previous AT&T I Phone customers phones since announcing the truly unlimited plan) so it was nice not having to explain everything and have them look at me with a black stare as to what and where to get the proper apn. I am still having issues with MMS but I think I will have that fixed tonight.

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Hello Spincel

Thanks for the info. Could you please PM (or post in the forum here, not sure of the rules) the XDA post? I would like to give that a shot.

Yeah I know about the waiting unfortunately that did not work out to well with AT&T. I first had my DEV unit on AT&T and the techs (not very knowledgeable) told me that the phone will not work until launch day because it was not in their system as of a week ago. Fast forward to today... 2 hours on the phone with AT&T techs to get assistance and no luck on LTE or tethering. I was getting ok up/down speeds but not as good as I am getting with T-Mobile now.

I do think that T-mobile is more friendly to unlocked phones vs AT&T. They gave me the print out for the APN, the guy in the store actually new about my problem (they are having to program a lot of previous AT&T I Phone customers phones since announcing the truly unlimited plan) so it was nice not having to explain everything and have them look at me with a black stare as to what and where to get the proper apn. I am still having issues with MMS but I think I will have that fixed tonight.

Here is the link for tethering.

My dad recieved a Lumia 920 Dev edition at Build 2012 - Funny Packaging - Page 2 - xda-developers

Also about the dev vs Roger, I am pretty sure they are identical, just different model name. His post has typo in front of the GSM on the Roger.

mcmikel

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
So FYI, the tethering trick listed above from the XDA forum does not work. If you have the truly unlimited plan on T-Mobile, there is no work around that I can find yet.

I have been monitoring my speeds using the T-Mobile access point that is preloaded on the phone once I inserted my sim card and I have been averaging about 8-10 Mbits down and 1-2 Mbits up. (I am located in San Diego as an FYI).

So far the service is working great and I have not had any issues YET. I am still searching for a tethering work around. I am going to Korea the first week of December so I will post my experience once I have a Korean sim card in the phone.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
You are correct but some people with other devices have found work arounds. Because the Nokia 920 is so new, we will have to wait until someone finds a way.
There are actually on-device workarounds? I assumed the only "workaround" to tethering was changing the user agent on your PC browser to look like a mobile client.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss