11-05-2012 12:34 PM
129 12345 ...
tools
    Actually, when I was looking for my last phone (I am on Verizon, not switching, couldn't wait for WP8) I looked at an HTC Rezound (a very nice phone) and it weighed the same as the Lumia 920 - as soon as I picked it up I noticed the weight (didn't even check the specs before then). When we're talking about a phone that weighs 6.5 oz versus the competition (iPhone 5 3.95 oz and GS3 4.5 oz) it is HEAVY. This is important to a lot of people and working to put down this reviewer because of it is not going to help WP8. As for the comparisons with the G Note II I believe that because of the size the G Note II IS NOT meant to be a one handed device and also because it is bigger the weight is more evenly distributed (therefore less "Brick Like"). The other big one that still isn't resolved is that for US customers the 920 is out of the question for over 50% of US customers - still a BIG FAIL on MS and Nokia's part. That is the reason that they are touting the 8X as flagship WP8 device since it is the only device that is available World Wide.
    11-01-2012 05:21 PM
    I'm perfectly fine with those who say this device is too heavy, as long as they realize that is not a universal truth! I'm not buying a Lumia 920, but I'm fine with the weight, so why are people continually trying to tell me it isn't? I'm perfectly capable of making that decision on my own, thank you! STFU already!

Anyone who thinks they can decide for everyone else whether or not a mobile device is "too heavy" or "ugly" really has an arrogance issue! These are clearly subjective things. Surly everyone here is smart enough to understand that.

If one of us forgets that, fine, but I would expect a reviewer to be somewhat more professional. Unfortunately, professionalism is sorely lacking in tech journalism, so we'll just have to deal with it, but anyone who believes their own subjective opinions are validated by equally subjective opinions from someone coincidentally calling themselves a reviewer really needs to reengage their brain matter (yes, I'm looking at you winterfang).

Of course statistical outliers like the 920's weight need to be mentioned in such a review. People need to be made aware of it and be advised to field test the device in person if that is of concern. Most importantly, the entire community finally needs to realize that hardware design is always about choices and tradeoffs. If a device is particularly heavy, I would expect the reviewer to take the damn thing apart and tell me either what I'm getting for it in return, or what I would need to give up for a lighter device (the reviewers statements on that topic are utter BS, as the ATIV has the same specs with a larger battery and larger screen and it is still lighter... in other words, the reviewer guessed and got it wrong). Only with that information can I decide if the weight is worth it...and only for myself...

As the reviewer failed to include any meaningful measurements I give this review a 3/5. However, the reviewer also failed to explain where the extra weight comes from, which he so heavily criticized, so I've decided to subtract another full point for that mistake, so my final score for this review is a 2/5. It wasn't worth my time.

This is still the best WP8 device review I've seen so far, although it is for the ATIV S.
    aubreyq and Gaichuke like this.
    11-01-2012 05:49 PM
    Dell Venue Pro, 192g, carried it for over one year, didn't build a single muscle. Can't handle the 920 you need to head here: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FAJfvYJbyV...1600/golds.jpg
    aubreyq and hipporama like this.
    11-01-2012 06:01 PM
    If someone said to me, "you can have a lumia 920 or a smaller 910, which will be a 920 without the image stabilization, without the wireless charging, and with a smaller battery, take your pick" it would be the 920
    a5cent and aubreyq like this.
    11-01-2012 06:09 PM
    Yeah the weight thing is a nonissue once you've handled it for awhile.

My first smartphone was an Optimus 7, real steel (not plastic made to look like steel) back cover and the phone weighed in at a hefty 160g. You dont actually realize how heavy it is until you've handled a smaller smartphone. In which case the heavy phone isnt too heavy, its that the light phone is soo light, and feels like you can lose it or it'll slip out your fingers and you wont even notice.

Thickness shouldnt matter unless you're wearing those super skinny tight tight jeans or something rediculous like that.... No one complains about their fatass wallet filled with money and credit cards bulging out of their back pocket.....
    11-01-2012 06:11 PM
    It almost felt as if Winterfang wrote the review. I wouldn't have noticed if the disclaimer wasn't there...:P

Still, it is to be expected. The undeniable fact that it is heavier than the competition will make it a minus point to some reviewers. The one thing we should take heart from is that aside from the 2 points of apps and weight, the 920 is otherwise being lauded as a great phone. It's not perfect...but then again, what really is? :)
    aubreyq likes this.
    11-01-2012 06:14 PM
    Yeah the weight thing is a nonissue once you've handled it for awhile.

My first smartphone was an Optimus 7, real steel (not plastic made to look like steel) back cover and the phone weighed in at a hefty 160g. You dont actually realize how heavy it is until you've handled a smaller smartphone. In which case the heavy phone isnt too heavy, its that the light phone is soo light, and feels like you can lose it or it'll slip out your fingers and you wont even notice.

Thickness shouldnt matter unless you're wearing those super skinny tight tight jeans or something rediculous like that.... No one complains about their fatass wallet filled with money and credit cards bulging out of their back pocket.....
    I'm writing from an Optimus 7. is quite heavy and it feels like is going to broke into a million pieces if it hits the ground
    11-01-2012 06:54 PM
    Just weighed my Logitech Harmony 700... It's 190 grams give or take a few. Does it make my wrist sore when I use it? Nope! My Iphone 3g is about 135 grams and it doesn't feel all that much lighter to me. So unless I'm missing something, I can't see the weight being an issue.
    11-01-2012 07:13 PM
    If someone said to me, "you can have a lumia 920 or a smaller 910, which will be a 920 without the image stabilization, without the wireless charging, and with a smaller battery, take your pick" it would be the 920
    they already have that, its called the Windows Phone 8x by HTC ;)
    11-01-2012 07:15 PM
    The undeniable fact that it is heavier than the competition will make it a minus point to some reviewers.
    Yes, but my point is that it shouldn't. It's the same arrogance were dealing with here. Give people the facts and measurements and tell them what to be aware of, but let people make up their own minds on subjective issues. That is what a professional would do.
    aubreyq and scottcraft like this.
    11-01-2012 07:21 PM
    Wait a second... so we get some sort of Social Network snafu of TWEETS all over the place of the iphone 5 being too light.. now the 920 is too heavy?? LOL... #HeavyGate.

no seriously.. what is happening to tech society? hehe..

Anyways.. i've owned the original galaxy Note.. that's like what 178 G's right?

i always felt like that was even too light.. it felt cheap.

I think 185 G's is going to be just perfect for me =D might have a solid and not cheap feel to it.

~Btw i'm an iPhone 5 owner. Ordering the 920.
    11-01-2012 07:26 PM
    Well according to the reviewer. The 920 is thick, bulky,heavy and ugly, the note isn't. I can't do anything about it, is his opinion.
    It's a factually incorrect stance and you linked to it. Congratulations.
    a5cent and aubreyq like this.
    11-01-2012 07:27 PM
    I have not read either review, so I am going to go off the poster who compared the 920 to the Note 2 reviews.

While one can debate the merits of if an opinion is "bad", I do find it disturbing that they didn't knock off the Note 2 for whatever reason in terms of weight and thickness, but the Lumia 920 has to go through the same issue? One thing I will hate about any reviewers is inconsistency. This seems to exist largely in the video game and overall tech world. Video Game "A" gets criticized for being repetitive and redundant, but Video Game "B" of the same genre and everything will get praised.

Also, deleting comments that call you out on it just show you have no integrity as a reviewer. Sad face.
    Last edited by mmoon24; 11-01-2012 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Editing post
    iphonemilk and aubreyq like this.
    11-01-2012 07:27 PM
    Why it shouldn't? In smartphone world, Thinner/lighter is always better. And it doesn't have to be cheap either look at the Iphone 5.
    11-01-2012 07:28 PM
    Why it shouldn't? In smartphone world, Thinner/lighter is always better. And it doesn't have to be cheap either look at the Iphone 5.
    I know, i have an iPhone 5 and i think what makes the iPhone 5 feel so great is because of the solid Aluminum it doesn't feel cheap.

The galaxy note however felt cheap, the S3 felt even more cheap then the Note, the S3 was more plastiky"

I'm looking forward to the 900'ish feel but heavier, i also have a 900 i like the feel of it. I don't think 185 g's is going to be bad at all.
    11-01-2012 07:32 PM
    HTC 7 Pro.
    HTC Desire Z.
    Samsung Galaxy Note II.
    Samsung Galaxy Note.
    Sony Ericsson Xperia Play.
    HTC Evo 3D.

All these devices are between 170g and 185g. Where are the owners of these devices whose arms are getting tired?
    11-01-2012 07:41 PM
    The problem is that people incorrectly apply light with cheap. Just because the Lumia is heavy doesn't mean is hefty, durable or more premium that the ATIV. Is still a chunk of plastic.

Also lets be real, how many reviewers are using the word sexy, beautiful or striking while talking about the 920? I ain't saying is ugly but it kind of is.
    11-01-2012 07:45 PM
    in winterfang's world, thinner/lighter is always better.
    tftfy.
    scottcraft likes this.
    11-01-2012 07:48 PM
    I ain't saying is ugly but it kind of is.
    ...in Winterfang's world :P
    11-01-2012 07:49 PM
    What weighs more? A thousand pound of bricks or a thousand pound of feathers?

That the 920 weighs the same as the Galaxy Note 2, 900 etc... yet only the 920 is being called out on it, tells me that in trying to find a negative, that's the only thing they can think of. I just don't understand it. If it weighs the same as the 900 then there is no issue at all imo.
    Last edited by MaulerX; 11-01-2012 at 07:53 PM. Reason: typo
    11-01-2012 07:49 PM
    If you grab a bag of feathers and it weights 1000 pounds, you will be like WTF, this have no business weighting that much. The same is with the 920. A plastic phone shouldn't be that heavy.
    11-01-2012 07:52 PM
    Lol, horrible analogy. I don't know how much my lumia 900 weighs. But if the 920 is almost the same, its fine.
    11-01-2012 07:55 PM
    If you grab a bag of feathers and it weights 1000 pounds, you will be like WTF, this have no business weighting that much. The same is with the 920. A plastic phone shouldn't be that heavy.

What?? The point is that 185g does not weigh more than 185g. No matter how you spin it.
    11-01-2012 07:57 PM
    What?? The point is that 185g does not weigh more than 185g. No matter how you spin it.
    The Note is meant yo be used with 2 hands, the Lumia isn't.
    11-01-2012 08:08 PM
    The problem here is Winterfang and his new favourite reviewers have nothing to back up their ridiculous hyperbolic statements.
    aubreyq likes this.
    11-01-2012 08:09 PM
129 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD