lumia 920 Pocketlint review. (No, I didn't write it)

mainakpradhan

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I have seen and used a prototype of the phone (Nokia Lumia 920). My views on the phone are:

Pros:
- Excellent camera
- Image quality is superb, better than any other android phone/iPhone
- Picture quality under low light in amazing
- Touchscreen really works with gloves and I personally tried with a 2 layer thick jacket as well, and it worked every single time
- Audio quality is good
- Design of hardware is good, I like the shape and looks
- Display is good
- Image stabilization is unbelievable. I did a small comparison with other phones just to see what the hype was about IS.

Cons
- Little heavier than current Samsung phones in market

Overall Rating: 4.5/5

All5horizons

Sep 4, 2007
Visit site
The importance of the weight and thickness of a phone is a very individual thing. Coming from the DVP, the 920's size & weight aren't going to be an issue for me.

I think the one point that gets lost in all these reviews knocking the 920's bulk and weight is that most people aren't going to put it into a case for protection. Its designed to be used as is. Where as I would argue that most other phones are not and do require some sort of case adding bulk and weight that doesn't show up on their spec sheet. I certainly don't see too many iphones out in the wild that aren't in some type of case or another. So while the bulk and weight of the 920 is a valid issue I think its blown way out of proportion when comes down to real life use in comparison to other phones.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I think the one point that gets lost in all these reviews knocking the 920's bulk and weight is that most people aren't going to put it into a case for protection. Its designed to be used as is...So while the bulk and weight of the 920 is a valid issue I think its blown way out of proportion when comes down to real life use in comparison to other phones.
I agree. I intend to use the 920 as is because why would I hide the awesome styling and color of the phone? It's designed to be shown off ;)

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Freaking Lumia users. Oh this phone is too pretty to put a cover on it. Here I'm sitting with hundreds of covers I can't sell >=(.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Freaking Lumia users. Oh this phone is too pretty to put a cover on it. Here I'm sitting with hundreds of covers I can't sell >=(.
Aha! So THAT'S the reason for your Nokia hate! You're at a mall kiosk stuck trying to sell Lumia cases nobody wants. You've been outed!!

J/K

dameon_03

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
the weight isnt a concern to me. i bet once you start using it you barely notice it. besides my dell streak has some weight to it but i barely notice it.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
It seems to me like we are nitpicking these phones to death. I think the 8X, 920 and Ativ are all really nice phones and there's really not a lot of difference between them. Go check out an HTC One X and a Galaxy S3. They are similar in size, have the same processor and operating system, but they are quite different. Each of these WP have their pros and cons on paper, but that doesn't really mean that much in the real world. Sure the 920 is a heavier phone, but just because some dude at pocketlint that I've never heard of says it's too heavy doesn't mean everyone is going to feel that way. Some of these things are subjective, not fact.

Illicit Hero

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Slightly heavier than my Titan with loads better improvements? Not to mention HTC's "wonderful" support for the Titan. No question 920 is my next phone.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Used my son's 900 several times, feels great. Of course the reason he bought it was to make me jealous cause I was stuck on Sprint. In a few days vengence will be mine.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I love how Pocket Lint calls the 920 a huge "giagantaphone" you'd be embarrassed to be seen with but they gush about how great the Galaxy Note 2, a much bigger phone with a bigger (5.5") screen that offers LESS resolution than the 920.

I guess maybe if Nokia had made the 920 out of cheap flimsy **** plastic with rounded corners they would have loved it.

Nice unbiased review site there. :lol:

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
That nexus is gonna feel even more arkward.

Oh man, I hope not. I for example don't have any problem with big phones like the GS3 or One X but is the Squareness and the weight that put me off.

If the Nexus is awkward to hold, I'm going to have major buyers remorse.

wormy6

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Since microsoft and google are supposed to be all about giving consumers choices, etc, and apple is about telling them what they want, it is surprising that there is not a choice to have a smaller yet powerful phone for microsoft and google. Instead we have >4.3 inch screens and every top of the line microsoft and google phone weighs more than apples. :mad: What happened to choice?

ergattonero

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys, italian guy here.

There's something that really puzzles me in this discussion, like the 920 do: why do we have to use this kind of sexist comment to explain why the weight of the phone is not important?

But, ok, let's go ahead.

Before I held in my hand the Nokia Lumia 920 - at the italian conference press for WP8 - I was adamantly sure to buy it as my next phone. Then I held it, and it was heavy. Believe in me: HEAVY. And that puzzled me too: why on heart Nokia made such an amazing device, and make it so heavy? This is something I cannot understand.

I was ready for a bigger screen - I come from an iPhone 4, and 4.5 inches might seem too many - but I wasn't ready for such a weight. And this is something that is causing me excruciating pain, because I don't know if I will buy it anymore or if I should buy HTC 8X instead.

From my point of view, MY point of view, a mobile phone must be practical: I carry it with me the whole day, I use it heavily - to browse, to shoot, to grindr ( :D ) - and I don't think that weight is an unimportant matter. And I can lift a lot :)

I touched and tried the Lumia 900 and I was quite ready for that weight, it "seemed right". But the 920 is HEAVIER than the 900 (185g vs. 160g), and... how on earth?

I was so sad after the WP8 conference.

Still, I have like two weeks to decide: Lumia 920 or 8X? We'll see :) (But, as for now, I cannot see the differences between the two, except for the camera quality of 920 and the lightness of the 8X)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786