11-10-2012 03:15 PM
141 12345 ...
tools
    Anything The Verge says automatically carries zero credibility in my eyes. I don't visit their site and I don't care about their reviews. All they do is **** on Windows Phone relentlessly.

CNET I'm more apt to trust for some level headed commentary.

As far as the phone being bulky though, if these guys don't think the endless procession of increasingly ridiculously large Android phones are too "bulky" then they shouldn't mind the 920 I'd think. It does weigh a few more grams than the cheap Korean junk Samsung cranks out though.
    11-02-2012 02:51 PM
    Anything The Verge says automatically carries zero credibility in my eyes. I don't visit their site and I don't care about their reviews. All they do is **** on Windows Phone relentlessly.

CNET I'm more apt to trust for some level headed commentary.

As far as the phone being bulky though, if these guys don't think the endless procession of increasingly ridiculously large Android phones are too "bulky" then they shouldn't mind the 920 I'd think. It does weigh a few more grams than the cheap Korean junk Samsung cranks out though.
    Lol. Nokias are made in Korea as well.
    11-02-2012 02:57 PM
    Paul Thurrott that well known apple fan boy has just published a article where he talks about moving from his lumia 900 to a HTC 8X partly because the 920 is a 'honking beast of a machine'.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/...hone-8x-144722

Quick.... Em.. HTC have paid him off... No wait the CIA!
    11-02-2012 03:01 PM
    Paul Thurrott that well known apple fan boy has just published a article where he talks about moving from his lumia 900 to a HTC 8X partly because the 920 is a 'honking beast of a machine'.

He also has the hands of someone suffering from Dwarfism according to those pictures.

If Jessica Alba can handle it, I am pretty sure he could as well.

HTC fanboys are just making it much more harder on themselves for when the 920 outsells the 8X. They are leaving themselves no spin room.
    11-02-2012 03:03 PM

......pantywaist :lol:
    snowmutt likes this.
    11-02-2012 03:05 PM
    He also has the hands of someone suffering from Dwarfism according to those pictures.

If Jessica Alba can handle it, I am pretty sure he could as well.

HTC fanboys are just making it much more harder on themselves for when the 920 outsells the 8X. They are leaving themselves no spin room.
    I have no idea how it will go overseas but it is likely impossible for the 920 to beat the 8X in the UK because of the one carrier exclusive and higher price (and before some slack jawed yokel accuses me of being a HTC fanboy, I own a lumia 800, have never owned a HTC and have no plans to buy a HTC).
    11-02-2012 03:08 PM

I get his "good enough" qualifying with the camera and all, but the 16GB vs. 32GB and HTC's apps vs. Nokia apps make it impossible for me to go with the 8X.
    11-02-2012 03:10 PM
    I have no idea how it will go overseas but it is likely impossible for the 920 to beat the 8X in the UK because of the one carrier exclusive and higher price (and before some slack jawed yokel accuses me of being a HTC fanboy, I own a lumia 800, have never owned a HTC and have no plans to buy a HTC).
    I wasn't calling you an HTC fanboy. I was referring to the notorious one on this forum that everyone knows. Winter, brmiller, etc.

And Nokias sell like gangbusters overseas. And people overseas tend to buy unlocked anyways. So they will get a Pentaband unlocked or whatever they need.

I get his "good enough" qualifying with the camera and all, but the 16GB vs. 32GB and HTC's apps vs. Nokia apps make it impossible for me to go with the 8X.

I'm still waiting on those OIS video tests of the HTC 8X.
    11-02-2012 03:11 PM
    I wasn't calling you an HTC fanboy. I was referring to the notorious one on this forum that everyone knows. Winter, brmiller, etc.

And Nokias sell like gangbusters overseas. And people overseas tend to buy unlocked anyways. So they will get a Pentaband unlocked or whatever they need.

I'm still waiting on those OIS video tests of the HTC 8X.
    This is a bit of a myth - at least in western Europe - anyway there is no unlocked version in the UK and the percentage of people who will import one us tiny - it is all down to the contract action.
    11-02-2012 03:22 PM
    This is a bit of a myth - at least in western Europe - anyway there is no unlocked version in the UK and the percentage of people who will import one us tiny - it is all down to the contract action.
    The Phones4U version works on EE, Orange, and T-Mobile.

What is the major carrier in the UK?
    11-02-2012 03:34 PM
    The Phones4U version works on EE, Orange, and T-Mobile.

What is the major carrier in the UK?
    It is roughly a third each between the three carriers (with all the ee brands being one carrier) or at least was the last time I checked.
    11-02-2012 06:29 PM
    HTC fanboys are just making it much more harder on themselves for when the 920 outsells the 8X.
    Hahahaha

11-02-2012 07:01 PM
    I don't know, somehow i feel like reading about size from a review is weird.

This is the worlds easiest thing to test and figure out yourself if the phone is fine for you. Just test the phone yourself before buying.
    If you can't test it yet, it weights about the same as Note 2.

Lumia 900 4.3" screen
    127.8 x 68.5 x 11.5 mm

Lumia 920 4.5" screen
    130.3 x 70.8 x 10.7 mm
    11-02-2012 07:44 PM
    I don't get where these complaints about being too big and bulky are coming from all of a sudden considering the fact that other phones out there have been released with similar weights. It is heavier than the average smartphone out there, but these reviews are making it sound like you're holding a cinder block in your hand.
    11-03-2012 12:45 AM
    The 8x is only .6mm thinner. Fact
    11-03-2012 01:40 AM
    Jessica Alba can carry an ipad and a Nokia Lumia 920 in one hand just fine. I'm quite sure she's not a professional weight lifter yet she is stronger than all the complainers about bulk/weight.

11-03-2012 01:56 AM
    Don't you have a bet with someone about something similar? Where you were picking the Ativ as the best seller?
    11-03-2012 02:56 AM
    Everyone needs to remember that these reviewers use iPhones. I use an htc titan and went to play with the 920 yesterday at phones4u, they are the same size and the weight is basically the same. If you have a big phone already, it is nothing new. Don't get caught up with the specs. Nokia would not release a phone nobody could hold.

Yes it is a big phone but it is not really breaking any new ground. My titan I thought was big at first but I soon got used to it.
    11-03-2012 05:06 AM
    You don't know what phone they have for personal use.
    Everyone needs to remember that these reviewers use iPhones. I use an htc titan and went to play with the 920 yesterday at phones4u, they are the same size and the weight is basically the same. If you have a big phone already, it is nothing new. Don't get caught up with the specs. Nokia would not release a phone nobody could hold.

Yes it is a big phone but it is not really breaking any new ground. My titan I thought was big at first but I soon got used to it.
    11-03-2012 09:01 AM
    Jessica Alba can carry an ipad and a Nokia Lumia 920 in one hand just fine. I'm quite sure she's not a professional weight lifter yet she is stronger than all the complainers about bulk/weight.

Click to view quoted image
    Oh that is just brilliant and a well made point :happy:

I had a Nokia N900 which was 180g, it was heavyish in the pocket in the same way that a pocketful of coins was, but I still loved that phone. The lumia 920 is a better form factor than that. so Im not expecting any issues.
    I think some of the angst comes from the fact that we would like it to be smaller, lighter, but that won't stop us from buying it as we want the features, we just wish it had them all and was smaller and lighter..
    juliankueh likes this.
    11-03-2012 09:13 AM
    So.....Jessica D complained about the bulk when it didn't fit in her jeans that were made to hug her ***. I wish she would have tried placing another phone in there to compare so that we could have seen the same issue. Also, in her review of the S3, which is .1 inch larger in screen diameter, she made no reference to size at all. I'm really losing faith in anything she has to say.

And yes, I do love my 900. Dropped it at the gun range onto the concrete numerous times face down and nary a scratch on the screen. The construction is solid and there is no need for a case. Was with a female friend one day while she was getting a mani/pedi (yeah, was playing chauffer. Don't ask), and the ladies inside all asked what case I had on my phone. I was like, no case. It's a Nokia Lumia. They were all oohing and aahhing over it. Then again, they were Asian, so they were way more familiar with the Nokia brand apparently. I had to pass it around so they could all take a look.

The size thing is really relative. I can't wait to get my hands on the bigger 920. I like solid feeling construction. That just makes me feel like there is quality components inside. My personal opinion.
    11-03-2012 09:15 AM
    Don't you have a bet with someone about something similar? Where you were picking the Ativ as the best seller?
    I do, I bet with Big Supes. There's a couple of variations, one was like The Lumia 920 is going to outsell samsung and HTC combined!! and things like that before we knew it was exclusive.

If I recall correctly the current bet is 920 vs 8X or Nokia vs HTC. I don't think samsung is involved. If you can find it and refresh my memory I'll be grateful.
    11-03-2012 09:23 AM
    I do, I bet with Big Supes. There's a couple of variations, one was like The Lumia 920 is going to outsell samsung and HTC combined!! and things like that before we knew it was exclusive.

If I recall correctly the current bet is 920 vs 8X or Nokia vs HTC. I don't think samsung is involved. If you can find it and refresh my memory I'll be grateful.

Maybe Big Supes remembers. I recall a discussion, but don't remember what the final bet is.
    11-03-2012 09:33 AM
    I posted a bit of a tear on the Verge about this. Frankly my Lumia weighs less than my family's 2 iPhones or my co-workers two Galaxy S 2's. Why? Because like 90+% of all iPhones out there those shards of glass are cloaked in bulky cases and auxiliary batteries. And the S 2's scared the heck out of their Owners, who rapidly enclosed them in masses of rubber or Kevlar! Kevlar for crisakes!
    Sure, you can get a lighter phone, if you don't need a battery that will last the day, and don't mind sweeping up the glad and plastic shards should ir tumble 18" to the carpet (yes, that destroyed my Daughter's iPhone!). Meanwhile, my Lumia 900 rides bareback in my pocket all day without an auxiliary battery, and has fallen to the pavement 3 times without a scratch.

These specious weight comparisons are BS that anyone in the business should laugh at. Unfortunately, The Verge et al are part of the New Media, where anyone who can type is an instant Savant.

Look deeper
    lordofthereef likes this.
    11-03-2012 12:04 PM
    People will find something to complain about when it comes to windows phone. Its seems like to them they're wearing glasses where everything Nokia does is wrong. Doesn't matter in the end the consumer decides what phone they want, NOT CNET or the Verge.
    11-03-2012 02:13 PM
141 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD